Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 F85 W31

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by joesw31
Monoplane- 1969 was the last year for factory 4.33 gears. In 1970 there were two gear ratios available from the factory. Standard for the W-31 was 3.91 and optional was 3.42. With both gears the M-20 and the M-21 could be had.

A general rule is if your W-31 had a four core radiator, then, it had 3.91 gears, and if it was a three core radiator, then, it would be 3.42 gear. And any thing could happen at the dealer.

Andy, gave some awsome advice contact Brian Trick for a Olds rear and suspension components.

And for your floor tunnel. It was a common modification. You can get a repro from venders or other sources
I have no idea if my rad is original, but it isn't a four core rad. It's for a manual trans car though.

You are correct about the shifter hump, thanks.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Barry,
I am new to this site and have attempted to add some pics to my album. Not sure if you can read it or not with the size restrictions however.
Tom
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM

Google "Picture Re-size free site" or something like that to shrink it.
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM

Try http://s760.photobucket.com/home/tomsw31 to see some photos of my W31.
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Tom and Barry, here you go. Very nice W-31 Tom, hope mine looks that good one day!

Old December 15th, 2009, 09:29 PM

Very nice car Tom. Are you in Calgary or just the car was originally sold thru a Calgary dealer? Thanks for your help Orange442!
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:31 PM

I was wondering about the RPO option Y68 "Custom Appearance Package". Can someone identify what one received with that option please? My W31 F85 has that option too!

Thanks,
Barry
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by mono-plane
I was wondering about the RPO option Y68 "Custom Appearance Package". Can someone identify what one received with that option please? My W31 F85 has that option too!
Thanks,
Barry
Okay guys, I've been trying to identify that Y68 for some time now too. So far, nothing concrete has come up.

Also: Any of you with a "Z" on the data plate with the interior code?
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:22 AM

I've had a variety of 1970 442's,W30's & such with that "Z" in the trim code.I know this question has come up on some other sites before,but never did get an answer to that.
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Barry,
My car was sold new in Calgary and came to Vancouver in late 1970 where it has remained. I am the third owner and bought the car in North Vancouver in 1993.

I am not sure about the Y68 but my 1970 W30 also has this code. I am wondering if it denotes the striping?

Kurt,
The "Z" in the trim line of the cowl plate (and broadcast card) appears on all of the 1970 Cutlass /442 cars that I have found while looking at data plates on cars that were Lansing built and sold new in Canada. I have been told that the "Z" is the export code for all U.S. built cars that were slated for export anywhere outside of the U.S.. I have not found any factory documentation to back up that ascertion, so take it as heresay. I have not found the code on Freemont cars however, only Lansing built so far. None of the other Oldsmobile factories (other than Lansing and Freemont) shipped to the westcoast of Canada in 1970, so I have not seen many other factories data plates to research this. If you have it on your car, it is possible that your car was slated for export, but I did speak with a owner of a 1970 W30 convert sold new in the U.S. with the "Z". It may be worth checking with G.M. of Canada to see if your car was sold new in Canada, in which case you may be lucky and find documention.
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:36 AM
BobsW32

VERY VERY NICE car.... I am impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a comment,,,,,in the pictures the passenger side view has blackwalls and the drivers side view has raised white letter tires...I hope the pictures were taken at different times
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by tomsw31
Barry,
My car was sold new in Calgary and came to Vancouver in late 1970 where it has remained. I am the third owner and bought the car in North Vancouver in 1993.

I am not sure about the Y68 but my 1970 W30 also has this code. I am wondering if it denotes the striping?

Kurt,
The "Z" in the trim line of the cowl plate (and broadcast card) appears on all of the 1970 Cutlass /442 cars that I have found while looking at data plates on cars that were Lansing built and sold new in Canada. I have been told that the "Z" is the export code for all U.S. built cars that were slated for export anywhere outside of the U.S.. I have not found any factory documentation to back up that ascertion, so take it as heresay. I have not found the code on Freemont cars however, only Lansing built so far. None of the other Oldsmobile factories (other than Lansing and Freemont) shipped to the westcoast of Canada in 1970, so I have not seen many other factories data plates to research this. If you have it on your car, it is possible that your car was slated for export, but I did speak with a owner of a 1970 W30 convert sold new in the U.S. with the "Z". It may be worth checking with G.M. of Canada to see if your car was sold new in Canada, in which case you may be lucky and find documention.
Thanks, Tom. What you're saying about the Z may indeed be correct, and can put us on the right path for a full explanation. I will persue this line of reasoning and see what we can come up with.

Start with the fact that the body tag info if going to be a body (not chassis) related thing. If it does have to do with export, then the question is what is done at Fisher Body to make it an export version? And we go from there.
Theoretically, the car could have a body that slated for export, but as long as the mod that made it for export was still legal in the US, the car could end up being sold in the US. Like a Canadian dealer canceling and order?
Thus exceptions like the '70 convert you mention could exist.
Please shoot me an email at wmachine@shubes.net, and we keep in a loop on this.

Regarding the Y68, Dave Bunch reported the following:
I did find some info on Y68- it has to do with trim. I states "By pass color-Edit trim". After further review I believe it is telling Fisher to not add any trim to the side or punch holes for wheel lip mldgs or per-punch fenders/door for sid emldgs.. Such as a W optioned car no matter the series (model) because side stripes were added at the Lansing Final Assembly bldg. and not done at Fisher body plant (no fenders attached).
That does make sense to me, but I wonder if this also means that base F85s would also require this?
I have, however, seen Canadian sold 442s that don't have the W-stripe and have Y68. So is this possibly a Canadian thing too?

Last edited by wmachine; December 17th, 2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Bob,
Good catch, I should have labeled the picture with the black walls as the before picture. That was how it looked prior to the frame off restoration.
Kurt,
That's great information, I knew there was a good reason to join this site!
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM

This information should be moved out of the "cars for sale" section. Outside a search, no one will ever look here for it and it's good info.
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
This information should be moved out of the "cars for sale" section. Outside a search, no one will ever look here for it and it's good info.
Great idea, but how do you do that?
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Originally Posted by mono-plane
Great idea, but how do you do that?
Here's how we do it. Go here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post132325
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Thanks Kurt.
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Thanks to 'tomsw31' for giving me the heads up on the rehashing of the 'Z' code confusion. I do not believe the export theory.

I spoke with the original owner of my car several times. He was a young kid who had a '70 Corvette all ordered and ready to go. The Chevy dealership proceeded to jerk him around on the price deep into the deal. He canceled the car and went to Mangiarelli Olds in New castle PA where he custom ordered my car for delivery to New Castle where he lived. My car was never slated for export as it was ordered to specs for US delivery.

I'm still holding out for the "any W car with a Z in the trim code is worth 10 times more than one without" answer.
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Every 70 442 & W30 I have owned had that "Z",so I must be rich,hahaa!
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM

I have decided to sell my F85 W31 at this time. I have more pressing obligations happening and the car will have to go. I have many pictures on Photo Bucket to share if anyone is interested. There is a fresh rebuilt 30 over Olds 350 (slightly newer block) built to W31 specs that comes with the car, a Super T10 4 speed, a Hurst shifter (not original), and the car is fairly complete, but does not have the original powertrain due to it's original race history. Body is very solid, straight with some patches needed on the front leading edge of both rear quarters and a small two inch long spot at the base of the windshield towards the passenger side middle. Rest of the car is rust free and a thin fridge magnet will stick anywhere. It was disassembled, bagged and tagged, with parts being in well marked boxes. Body, doors, trunk lid and frame are all together, so it's a roller. Engine was bagged from the engine builder and is strapped on a wooden stand for moving. Paperwork will include current ownership title and GM of Canada paperwork. Hood and front fenders are real nice. Car has 70000 original miles. It is a factory tach and gauge car with the four spoke sport steering wheel, and the RPO code V01, which is the HD Radiator option and meant that the car came with either 3:91 or 4:33 gears. The original diff was blown up and the car has a 10 bolt BOP with a posi. Was an M21 car when new. Interior is in nice condition and will c/w a new repro carpet kit. Dash pad is perfect. Car is missing the factory AM radio, the windshield (was broken), the original carb and exhaust manifolds. There is no exhaust. Needs the little bit of rust repair, a few small dents that would be typical of a 40 year old car, paint and re-assembly. Contact Barry @ 204-832-2800 in Winnipeg, MB.
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by wmachine
Thanks, Tom. What you're saying about the Z may indeed be correct, and can put us on the right path for a full explanation. I will persue this line of reasoning and see what we can come up with.

Start with the fact that the body tag info if going to be a body (not chassis) related thing. If it does have to do with export, then the question is what is done at Fisher Body to make it an export version? And we go from there.
Theoretically, the car could have a body that slated for export, but as long as the mod that made it for export was still legal in the US, the car could end up being sold in the US. Like a Canadian dealer canceling and order?
Thus exceptions like the '70 convert you mention could exist.
Please shoot me an email at wmachine@shubes.net, and we keep in a loop on this.

Regarding the Y68, Dave Bunch reported the following:
I did find some info on Y68- it has to do with trim. I states "By pass color-Edit trim". After further review I believe it is telling Fisher to not add any trim to the side or punch holes for wheel lip mldgs or per-punch fenders/door for sid emldgs.. Such as a W optioned car no matter the series (model) because side stripes were added at the Lansing Final Assembly bldg. and not done at Fisher body plant (no fenders attached).
That does make sense to me, but I wonder if this also means that base F85s would also require this?
I have, however, seen Canadian sold 442s that don't have the W-stripe and have Y68. So is this possibly a Canadian thing too?
I have been looking for over a year for any imfo relating to the Y68 option...
Thanks to GAOldsman (Scot) for the link to this thread....you rock!
So my 1970 Cutlass Supreme, was ordered trim delete.

Ted

Did this car ever sell?

Last edited by sammy; March 28th, 2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: addition
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:16 AM
"Car"mudgeon

No problem Ted Here is the build sheet on said car and the body tag. Note the Special order Y68

Old August 25th, 2021, 12:19 PM

So where did this F85-W-31 end up? Who has it? Has it been restored?
Old August 26th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by agtw31
where's the pics of this w-31?
Old August 26th, 2021, 03:44 PM

i guess my questions are,the build sheet shows 2.56 gears whats up with that?is that canadien only??
Old August 26th, 2021, 08:59 PM

i guess my questions are,the build sheet shows 2.56 gears whats up with that?is that canadien only??
That's for Scot's '72 U code Supreme, not the W-31. 2:56's were standard fare for all non performance Cutlass's. The mildest gears available for the W31 were 3:42's.
Old August 26th, 2021, 10:27 PM
Banned

I am so confused. What the...

So are there any pictures of this car?
Old August 27th, 2021, 09:44 AM

So are there any pictures of this car?
You have to consider that this a thread from 2009-2013 that was resurrected. A couple of the members are no longer on this site.
Old August 28th, 2021, 08:41 PM
Banned

I get it. Just figured someone might know.