Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'71 Olds 98 Luxury Coupe

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Texas Jim

'71 Olds 98 Luxury Coupe

I have a '71 98 parts car f/sale. No engine or tranny. Car has no rust, dings, or dents, body is really in perfect shape. (paint is dulled out) I bought the car f/ the engine and tranny and want to sell the rest. I'll sell it f/ a very reasonable price. Come get it. I'm in Killeen, Texas. 60 miles north of Austin and 50 miles south of Waco.
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Do you have any pictures?
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Texas Jim

I'll get some pics up this week.
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:02 AM

Excellent!
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:05 AM
Texas Jim

'64,
I know that I said I'd have the pics posted this weekend, but got back from Louisiana late last night. Got on f/ a minute to drop this post. I did drive the car some last week and it rides beautifully. I stomped it on a quite bumpy side street and not only did it take off like a bat out of hell, but I didn't feel the bumps at all. I was expecting a somewaht shakey ride over bumps as the tires on the car are all mis-matched and half worn out and the car sat f/ 6 or 7 years due to my neighbor being sick f/ quite awhile, took ill when we left f/ Puerto Rico in 2002 and passed away two months after we returned in 2007. The only rattle were the windows as they're very loose. Motors work but mechanisms are falling apart. My father had a new '69 98 Convt. It was light yellow w/ a black leather interior. I compared it, in my mind, to that one when I hit the gas. Those were the years of the non-pollution motors that "got w/it." I haven't owned a ride (w/ the exception of my old pick-up) w/ a points distributor since I was stationed at Ft. Bragg in the early to mid '70s. I had afew nice GM cars back then that whalled on the highway. Was called in on the CB radio in Virginia by a trucker who I blew past during an hour burst at the top of the speedo, 120 plus f/ a solid hour, "a four wheeler in the triple digits-mile marker 10.7," I'll never forget that mile marker nuimber LOL. I always traveled w/ a CB and was back to 55 before the trooper, just up the road, got on my tale. After three exits he got off the highway (I-95 N. Carolina to NYC) and I was back in passing gear looking f/ a front door to cover my butt. LOL. Those were the days... Anyway... pics soon.
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:53 AM

Cool story Jim. Just keep us posted.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM
Texas Jim

Sorry, I'm keeping the car. It rides and operates too well to get rid of. Please excuse the entry.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM

Well, you still have to post pictures.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
Sorry, I'm keeping the car. It rides and operates too well to get rid of. Please excuse the entry.
I saw that punchline coming ...

Old October 24th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I saw that punchline coming ...

Mug,
How did you see that punch line coming? Did you just figure that I'd get messing w/ the car and find it was worth keeping or what? I do like the way it drives, everything on the car works; a/c, all lights, etc. and it has plenty of pep even though it's a big heavy car. I suppose operating a crane and skytrak all day, the skytrak in very tight situations alot of the time, makes me have no issues w/ the car being big, as to me it just feels like a regular size ride. LOL. I must say that the rust around the back window, since the rest of the car is super straight and rust free, bums me out alittle, but I'm taking the vinyl top off today and getting a look at the whole situation. I'll then fugure out a game plan and jump on it. I want to replace the rusted spots w/ new sheet metal since the spots look alittle bad to be patching up (alittle more rot than I originally found) and I plan on keeping the car. Don't want a good paint job going over anything that isn't done right.
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Be prepared to be surprised once you get the vinyl top and window out. Once I removed the window on my car I was surprised with the amount of rust in my window channel. Don't worry though. It can be fixed.
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:21 AM

Sorry, I'm keeping the car. It rides and operates too well to get rid of.
Another happy ending for another old Olds!
Much better choice than parting it... Post pictures soon!
Old October 24th, 2009, 12:29 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Mug,
How did you see that punch line coming? Did you just figure that I'd get messing w/ the car and find it was worth keeping or what? I do like the way it drives, everything on the car works; a/c, all lights, etc. and it has plenty of pep even though it's a big heavy car. I suppose operating a crane and skytrak all day, the skytrak in very tight situations alot of the time, makes me have no issues w/ the car being big, as to me it just feels like a regular size ride. LOL. I must say that the rust around the back window, since the rest of the car is super straight and rust free, bums me out alittle, but I'm taking the vinyl top off today and getting a look at the whole situation. I'll then fugure out a game plan and jump on it. I want to replace the rusted spots w/ new sheet metal since the spots look alittle bad to be patching up (alittle more rot than I originally found) and I plan on keeping the car. Don't want a good paint job going over anything that isn't done right.
It looked to be a very good deal to me, I would have kept it ...
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Texas Jim

'64, You said it,(hadn't kept up on the posts)I found more rust than originally discovered. I also took the back seat out, rear floor covering complete, to the metal, all truck floor covering and the head liner, as water had soaked these areas over time causing them to dry up. The headliner was in good shape, but sagged the two times it rained and I found that water was soaking up in that also. the interior floor and trunk floor are both in great shape and paint is still looking good. ceiling under head liner is clean also. I found that the back window edge is tough to get to on the inside as the sheet metal is doubled (small space inbetween), and I'll need to blow it out w/ air then spray paint w/ rust retarder of some kind. The entire operation of fixing the rust at the back window will be a lengthy process f/ sure. I'm going back w/ a painted hard top as I don't like the vinyl nearly as well and the painted hard top, especially using a different color, gives the car an overall more vintage look. ie; the original silver w/ a white top and white interior w/ grey/silver trim. I'm taking some time off from work f/ the Holidays when Thanksgiving comes, so I'll have some time to get the rust work done. After I get the car mechanically sound, ie; drive trane, suspension, windows and accessories-I want to add two under-hood lights, I'll get after the interior and body. I'm sure this project will take me quite awhile. I know, like everything else, I'll find more to do as I go along. I also know that when I get into a project, I get more and more picky, which makes me dig deeper and deeper. I'm always glad I did at the end. Thanks again f/ your time and help. Sincerely, Texas Jim.
Lady &Rob, Yes, I had to save it as it was in too good shape not to. Everywhere I'd go, people would tell me how much they like the car. At work, guys who I never knew were into rides would ask me all kinds of questions about it, which made me take a second look.
'64, Pics will go up soon. I know I said that before, but they will. You're not the only one who's after me about posting pics, as my family back in New York stay on my case about that also.
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:08 PM
is Fast Enough ...

What started out as a heater fan replacement evolved into an extensive tear down and "stablization" ...

I didn't replace some of the rusted area but I stripped, blasted and painted everything I could. My brother said a lot of areas would pop up. I live in L.A. though and there are no signs of rust coming back and I will go over everytthing when I repaint ...
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Texas Jim

I posted 4 pictures under the "Big Oldsmobiles, 98" section. Finally. Oh, what the heck... Zoom in to get a good look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds 98 002.jpg (79.5 KB, 32 views)
Olds 98 001.jpg (69.0 KB, 35 views)
Olds 98 005.jpg (66.4 KB, 28 views)
Olds 98 003.jpg (96.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Texas Jim; October 26th, 2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Definitely a cool car! I like the wheels too.