Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'72 Cutlass/F-85 For Sale!

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Registered Luser

Arrow '72 Cutlass/F-85 For Sale!

$9,000....This one hurts the most! I've owned it going on 16 years, and now am trying to sell. Car now has approx. 109,000 mi on it! About 2,500 of it since I completed a "body-on restification"! That was finished in 2003! I just pulled it out of the garage today for the second time in 2 yrs.(last time was for NYS inspection). I rarely drive this car. Being that as it is, from sitting, some seals have begun leaking under the hood. I know that the tranny pan gasket was leaking the year before last and I had that replaced. I can see the valve cover gaskets leaking. I do not believe the rear main to be leaking as I also put a new torque converter in 2 yrs ago as the wrong size was in there. The tranny was rebuilt when I first bought the car 16 yrs ago and I had a shift kit installed. Being that I never put the car on the road until 2003(7 yr resto), I did not realize about the converter. Motor was rebuilt to stock specs with added bolt ons. Here is a list-
-Edelbrock Performer Intake
-Jet Stage 2 Quadrajet
-MSD Dist w/6A box
-Dynomax Headers(beginning to rust)
-Dual Flowmaster Exhaust
- Motor is a '68-'70 vintage?(#2 cast by filler tube), heads are #7('71 vintage?)
Car is originally an A/C car...I have brackets and compressor, no condenser!
I converted car to front discs!
Just about everything was replaced new in this car when resto was done with exception of gas tank and rear(I don't know the ratio, and it is not ant-spin).
This car runs and shifts absolutely excellent!

Interior is all new also. From headliner to carpet! This car was originally a white bench seat, column shift car(at least when I got it!) I should still have the original speedo in the garage reflecting the miles when I took it apart. The speedo I put in(out of a '71 bucket seat car showed about 62,000mi when I put it in.) Now at 65,000! Interior, weatherstrips everything down to interior screws all perfect!

Body is perfect with the exception of 2 spots(right qtr corner above taillight bubble the size of a penny) and very small bubbles across lower lip of decklid. I have a rustfree already stripped to metal inside and out decklid that will go with car...needs some plastic work as it is dented up around keylock. Floors are new, trunk floor had 2 patches put in, frame was completely rustfree and solid. No rust of any kind any where. I also replaced the top of the cowl and dash with a used rustfree piece. Install is undetectible! There is zero rust under the roof, as I stripped it to metal, epoxied it and painted it(not done at factory!) When I had the top put on, I specifically did not have them trim it and just leave it long so I could trim it myself. I've seen it done by professionals several times and they "cut" the paint when they trim the top, causing rust around the perimeter of the top! I reinstalled the old drip rail trim which is dented up. At the time, there was no repro trim, and there still isn't! I just recently got a set of reconditioned originals which look new. They need to be installed. The hood is an aftermarket all glass hood. Was perfect when finished but time is wearing slightly on it. Warped a little, and the strands are shrinking back! Only noticable when you are right up on the car.
I know the rear bumper is a '70! I never expected to sell this car, so when I did it I put a '70 bumper on because I like the look better than a '72. I do have a aftermarket, new, '72 bumper, and new gm '72 lenses still in box. Also have clean '72 housings. If wanted, I could install for you, and I would take '70 pieces.
I know the grilles are'71. Again, I like the black background better! I welded all emblem holes shut. I was going to have custom f-85 emblems made for fenders and grille(design myself).
The whole underside of the car was wirebrushed, cleaned and POR-15 applied! I also did the inside of the bumpers in silver POR-15 to prevent rust from inside out, before I installed them.
The glass does have minor scratching on them(except new windshield). Radio inop. SSIII 15" rims. Color is not original, original color was yellow!
This car is a show stopper and does attract attention everywhere it goes! You will not find a straighter, ripple free deeper paint job immaculate done car inside and out anywhere. I can provide photos during the resto process as I did it myself. Look at my '70 Vista Cruiser Project Thread and this is exactly how I did this car. I can scan in resto pics upon request or e-mail any other pics you may need to see. Please don't hesitate to PM me or call me at 631-793-6017! Car is located on Long Island. $9,000...
Check out pics on my photobucket! Thank you! Some has changed since I've done this ad....I have an exact replacement hood to go with the car, but needs paint....you can have the hood in the pics, as reference, but hood is severely damaged. Also have used set of hood hinges, that will need paint also as the others are bent....I forgot to lock hood before a cruise, and it became a sail!!!
http://s711.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0294.JPG (88.5 KB, 771 views)
DSCN0311.JPG (89.0 KB, 778 views)
DSCN0312.JPG (97.0 KB, 796 views)

Last edited by ent72olds; August 4th, 2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Add block and head codes
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:56 PM
Registered Luser

Check the link to photobucket guys! Car is even better looking in person...will listen to offers!!
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Registered Luser

Arrow Price reduced

Price reduced to $12,900...paint alone cost more!
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Registered Luser

ANYONE!

Please check out slideshow... TTT
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Registered Luser

$12,500

Still here people...please give me a good home!
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Registered Luser

Bump!
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM

pics of the fiesta wagon?
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Bump!
Checked out your slide show. Pictures look really nice. Keep in mind that the asking price may not be what you get for it. I know it's not being presented as an original car, and that's to your credit. It also may bring the price of the car down to a car enthusiast unless they have exactly the same taste you have.

With all due respects, you can't base your selling price on the value of parts or labor you put into it. This kind of discussion is an ongoing beat to death fact of car selling and market conditions. Did you catch BJ in Mandalay BAy? They sold some cars for $40,000.00 that cost over $100k to restore. This is the way of the auctions and the world. Have you advertised this locally or on Craigslist? Your first post was way back in April. This tends to support what I've written above. Hope you find the right buyer.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Allan R
Checked out your slide show. Pictures look really nice. Keep in mind that the asking price may not be what you get for it. I know it's not being presented as an original car, and that's to your credit. It also may bring the price of the car down to a car enthusiast unless they have exactly the same taste you have.

With all due respects, you can't base your selling price on the value of parts or labor you put into it. This kind of discussion is an ongoing beat to death fact of car selling and market conditions. Did you catch BJ in Mandalay BAy? They sold some cars for $40,000.00 that cost over $100k to restore. This is the way of the auctions and the world. Have you advertised this locally or on Craigslist? Your first post was way back in April. This tends to support what I've written above. Hope you find the right buyer.
All understandable....BJ is in no way a guide to what I think the car is worth! It could be worth 2K to you and 12K to another guy. I was at Hershey last week and there was a yellow '70 442 vert for sale there. The car is on e-bay out of NJ. the bids were up over 43k for the car. Asking price was 85k....I had the "pleasure" of inspecting the car in person. Beside the terrible rot repair and mismatched fenders, I wouldn't pay 15k for it. Being in the car business (I'm not a dealer), I know what went into this car as I've done it myself and have the documentation to show what has been done. The car wasn't built to "flip" as many BJ cars are. I built it to keep it. Since it has been done, it just sits in the garage. I spend all my time on my '65 Vista. The car obviously wouldn't appeal to someone looking for an original unrestored car. Also, the cars at BJ are mostly restored by people who have disposable income. Putting 100k into a car and getting 40k at auction is considered a business loss and handled accordingly. No, the car isn't advertised anywhere else. And hasn't been. I figured I let a true olds fan purchase it if they really liked it. Thank again for your input.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by junkman454
pics of the fiesta wagon?
Car sold ....
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:26 AM

That's not a F85
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Hey man, that is a nice car and and judging by the quality of work you have done on the vista I would feel very comfortable owning it knowing things were done right. The next owner should be happy.
Price is real tricky these days. Ultimately its worth whatever someone will pay?
It sucks having to sell cars sometimes because of all the time invested and I really get attached to the damn things. It would be nice to have deep pockets and just keep building the collection.
Anyways, keep up the work on the vista I know I'll be watching.
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
That's not a F85
According to the "yearone" VIN plate decode(I can post it if you'd like) the second letter in the VIN (F) says f-85 2-dr coupe.....G letter would mean cutlass....so if it isn't a G in the VIN, and you say it isn't an f-85, what is it? Maybe a Fiat......maybe someone like w-machine can clarify, but I'm not sure f-85 actually "existed" after '70, just used as a "trim designation"?
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by scrappie
Hey man, that is a nice car and and judging by the quality of work you have done on the vista I would feel very comfortable owning it knowing things were done right. The next owner should be happy.
Price is real tricky these days. Ultimately its worth whatever someone will pay?
It sucks having to sell cars sometimes because of all the time invested and I really get attached to the damn things. It would be nice to have deep pockets and just keep building the collection.
Anyways, keep up the work on the vista I know I'll be watching.
Thanks...appreciate the comments. Did you sell the 442 yet?
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:44 PM

According to the "yearone" VIN plate decode(I can post it if you'd like) the second letter in the VIN (F) says f-85 2-dr coupe.....G letter would mean cutlass....so if it isn't a G in the VIN, and you say it isn't an f-85, what is it? Maybe a Fiat......maybe someone like w-machine can clarify, but I'm not sure f-85 actually "existed" after '70, just used as a "trim designation"?

I went on to yearone to use there decoder it wasn't that good, but I did find a good one.
http://www.oldsmobility.com/vin.htm#Oldsmobile

I guess your right. You have a F-85

Found out my 70 is a Holiday Coupe made in Lansing Mi.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; October 17th, 2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
I went on to yearone to use there decoder it wasn't that good, but I did find a good one.
http://www.oldsmobility.com/vin.htm#Oldsmobile

I guess your right. You have a F-85

Found out my 70 is a Holiday Coupe made in Lansing Mi.
I wouldn't say I'm right...just repeating yearone, which aren't experts by any stretch....not exactly sure what qualifies as an f-85 in '72? I know they didn't badge the cars as such....
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Cutlass line includes f-85

According to the 1972 Chassis Service manual, which has the GM VIN decoder in it:
3 = Oldsmobile
F= Cutlass model 33287 (f-85) FYI G = Cutlass model 33600 series
87 = hardtop coupe
* = whatever letter was here is the engine. eg: H = 2bbl 350 L32 engine
2 = model year
M,Z,G or R = plant car was built at
100001+ = the sequential number assigned when built at that plant.

And yes the f85 existed into 1972. That was the last production year for it. The f85 was definitely a lower trim car designed for entry level to Oldsmobile. But in some cases, you can't tell just by looking at the outside. There are a couple of trim pieces that were unique to the f85 that I've got on the ordering guide. Not necessary to list them here.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

never saw an F-85 that wasn't a post car
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Is it brown or burgandy? Inside black or dk green?

Oh yea, NICE car though. Wish I had an extra garage bay.
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by WTony
Is it brown or burgandy? Inside black or dk green?

Oh yea, NICE car though. Wish I had an extra garage bay.
Chestnut Pearl...black inside...thanks for the compliment!
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:55 PM
Banned

Chestnut Pearl...black inside...thanks for the compliment!
is chestnut pearl brown?

i thought it was a maroon color
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:08 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by agtw31
is chestnut pearl brown?

i thought it was a maroon color
Chestnut Pearl is the name of the color...maroonish with a copper flop as it has copper pearl in the color.
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
" Hoo yah "

This link is a little better than smear one

http://www.v8cars.hu/oldsvin/decode.php

I hate Walmart!!!

1972 Cutlass Sport
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM

If I had the money and lived closer I'd buy it. But really nice car! If its still around when I do get money I will definitely consider a road trip
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by KRICHEN922
If I had the money and lived closer I'd buy it. But really nice car! If its still around when I do get money I will definitely consider a road trip
Thank you!
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:45 PM

PM sent
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Awsome car, great taste, i plan on doing a 71/72 with 71' 442 grills and 70' 442 rear bumper same as you did, all that with a vinyl top, its just an amazing looking combination

Wish i had the money for it id jump on it in a hearbeat. Sometimes i wish i could put adds on hold til i scrounge up the money xD
Anyways, hope it finds a good home
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:12 AM
eds

Man, I'd been thinking vert, but that beautiful vehicle has me wondering why...

Sweet looking ride. Unfortunately, I've still got at least one more year of kids' tuition before I can pull the trigger.
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks for the compliments Vega and Ed......
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Looks good! Still for sale?

I've been looking for a nice 68-72 that's an above average driver.
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by Allan R
...the f85 existed into 1972. That was the last production year for it.
Aaah, but you're forgetting the '75-77 F-85 based on the X-body (Omega).
You're forgiven - it was entirely forgettable
Old August 28th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by copper128
Aaah, but you're forgetting the '75-77 F-85 based on the X-body (Omega).
You're forgiven - it was entirely forgettable
Yo ho, well blow the man down! Yer right. Glad I forgot about it, not a very spectacular car. I didn't realize there were 7 different Ωmega trim lines back in 77.

Old August 29th, 2011, 02:37 AM

Congratulations on the sale.

Just remember, you can always ask whatever you want regardless of the market.
Quite often sellers do get what they want out of a car, it's just timing that needs
to be correct for the right buyer.

Very nice looking car. Glad to see it sold for close to what you were asking for it.
I wish you could have gotten more out of it.
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Registered Luser

Arrow

I made a change to the ad, and price....now $9,000....
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Registered Luser

Ttt
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

you people are killing me with these prices - im saving every paycheck as much as i can - im getting one of these cars very soon =.=

Beautiful Car !!
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:49 AM

this thread is confusing.
is the car still for sale?
I thought this car sold last year.
Old August 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by suprememan
this thread is confusing.
is the car still for sale?
I thought this car sold last year.
Thanks for the compliment bdub! The car was never sold, I had two other cars for sale at the same time. They sold. I haven't advertised this car anywhere else but here. Not even locally. I never made a real effort to sell. The car just sits in the garage, and it is a shame. I spend cruise time in the vista and delta. The vista has been evicted from the garage since I recently got the delta. I'd like to get it back in!
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Registered Luser

Ttt
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Runner

Looks good, good luck on the sale!

Quick Reply: '72 Cutlass/F-85 For Sale!