Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

77Olds Brougham Rolling Chassis and More

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2016, 03:00 PM

77Olds Brougham Rolling Chassis and More

Guys, I have a 77 Cutlass Brougham rolling chassis that I needto part with because I promised my wife “I would take care of it” this year. This car was for a restoration project that I started but can’t finish. I live in the Chicago area but I picked up this car in Tuscon, AZ in 1989, drove it back here, gutted it, and then didn’t get much further. The frame and body are solid and have never been exposed to deicing road salt. It’s in way too good of condition to junk but tell that to my wife.

I also have the 350 short block that I was working on….the motor that was supposed to go into this car. It’s on a stand in my garage…..dang, I forget the year of the block but it’s a late 60’s early 70’s one that had the high nickel content. The block has been machined and I have a forged crank in it. I’m pretty sure forged pistons too…..sorry, I don’t remember off of the top of my head….it’s been a while since I’ve thought about this. I have a set of #6 heads that were supposed to go on this block but didn’t get around to getting the machining work done on those. I also have an unused Edelbrock performer intake that was supposed to be part of this motor that never made it out of the box.

While I’m at it, I have another 350 block that was supposedto be the back-up block for this car that’s been machined; a set of OEM rebuilt #8 heads that were originally on the back-up block; a bare 455 block with anodular crank; a set of bare 403 heads, and miscellaneous other Olds parts.

I’m sure some of you can relate…….you have the best of intentions starting out a restoration project but then things in life happen and before you know it a bunch of years have gone by and you start asking yourself ifyou’re ever going to get to the project. Right now I’m thinking the bigger disappointment for me is all of these things I have are sitting around doing nothing when they should be part of someone burning up the street or track somewhere.

Last edited by Steve351c; April 29th, 2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old April 29th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Prices?
Old April 30th, 2016, 12:13 PM

At the risk of sounding like I'm dodging, I don't have any firm prices. I'm all about fairness and anyone that's interested, I have no doubt that we could arrive at a fair price without muchof a hassle. The rolling chassis is a bigger issue because it's bigger and takes up more space. Do I want to junk it? No. My main goal is to see it in good hands of someone who will actually use it. Is a few hundred a fair price? I don't know but I trust my fellow Olds enthusiasts enough to be fair. If a few hundred is a fair price, I'd just tack on the requirement that you send me a picture or two of the finished product so I could have that satisfaction of seeing it. The 350 short block is a bit of a different issue. I could show you the invoices I had for the pistons, machining, balancing, etc., etc. Would I like to recoup those costs? Of course. I think any of us would. If you'd be looking to build something similar and would be spending the same if not more today if you were starting from the ground up I think showing you the bills for what I put into it is a good starting point for the discussion. (actually, I haven't added all those up yet so I don't really know what that total bill was but I do have all those records. The 350 short block is in my garage wrapped up in about 10-15 layers of plastic wrap. It doesn't take up all that much space but, like I said, it's a waste just sitting there unused. Bottom-line, if there's something I mentioned that someone has an interest in, don't worry, we'll find a way to determine a price that's fair to both of us.

Last edited by Steve351c; April 30th, 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 01:31 AM

PM sent.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Steve351c
Guys, I have a 77 Cutlass Brougham rolling chassis that I needto part with because I promised my wife “I would take care of it” this year. This car was for a restoration project that I started but can’t finish. I live in the Chicago area but I picked up this car in Tuscon, AZ in 1989, drove it back here, gutted it, and then didn’t get much further. The frame and body are solid and have never been exposed to deicing road salt. It’s in way too good of condition to junk but tell that to my wife.

I also have the 350 short block that I was working on….the motor that was supposed to go into this car. It’s on a stand in my garage…..dang, I forget the year of the block but it’s a late 60’s early 70’s one that had the high nickel content. The block has been machined and I have a forged crank in it. I’m pretty sure forged pistons too…..sorry, I don’t remember off of the top of my head….it’s been a while since I’ve thought about this. I have a set of #6 heads that were supposed to go on this block but didn’t get around to getting the machining work done on those. I also have an unused Edelbrock performer intake that was supposed to be part of this motor that never made it out of the box.

While I’m at it, I have another 350 block that was supposedto be the back-up block for this car that’s been machined; a set of OEM rebuilt #8 heads that were originally on the back-up block; a bare 455 block with anodular crank; a set of bare 403 heads, and miscellaneous other Olds parts.

I’m sure some of you can relate…….you have the best of intentions starting out a restoration project but then things in life happen and before you know it a bunch of years have gone by and you start asking yourself ifyou’re ever going to get to the project. Right now I’m thinking the bigger disappointment for me is all of these things I have are sitting around doing nothing when they should be part of someone burning up the street or track somewhere.
Could you email me some pics of the car . I'm not interested in the engines just the chassis . Allykatt1992@gmail.com
Thanks .