Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Calyx Manifold Dressing - Any Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2014, 10:42 AM

Calyx Manifold Dressing - Any Opinions?

Going to take a break from the W-30 resto to detail the 72 442 vert for the Dallas Autorama. I bought some of the Calyx manifold dressing that Eastwood's sells. Can it be brushed over the exhaust manifolds if they are already have Eastwood's original manifold coating brushed on them? I saw a Chevelle that had the Calyx on the manifolds and it looks awesome. Also, anyone try it on the Master Cylinder? Thanks!
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:01 AM

I used cast iron paint and clear coated it for my master cylinder. I used graphite spray used for coating disc blades for farm equipment. It comes in a spray can and is available in most farm supply stores. I've had it on for 5 years with no problems. Your manifolds have to be extremely clean and rust free. Since it's on the manifolds, you rarely touch it, as you may on the master cylinder. You will have graphite marks on your hand if you come in contact with it.
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:33 AM

I used it once. It goes on easy and looks great, but mine never dried. It was still greasy, which is what it reminds me of going on, thick flaky grease. Anyway, it was still greasy after I drove the car for a while, still rub off onto your hands. I don't plan to use it again.
Old February 9th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Randy C.

I used it before, too. I had the manifolds off the car and they were real clean. They looked sharp when I put it on but, like the others, the stuff comes off on your hands, and it never seemed to "dry". And, after what seemed to be not to long, rust started to appear again.

I re-did them in 2003 using a high-heat cast grey spray paint (Seymour brand I believe?) and they still look great. I don't drive my car that much so that might be why they still look great. But I did like the paint much better - it dried, it didn't come off on my hands, and the appearance is still the best.

Randy C.
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Shoveling Snow

I have had it on several E manifolds over the years and yes it is graphite based and it will rub on your hands so use gloves when working in this area. The manifold will look as you first applied it many year afterwards. I use a toothbrush to apply. Use aluminum oxide to blast the manifolds and use gloves to handle them. Clean with liberal amounts of rubbing alcohol and apply coating and let sit for a few days before installing. Th cleaner the surface the better it works.
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:39 PM

I used it on the Thornton Repro manifolds I bought for my 67 convertible. I applied it with a toothbrush before I installed the manifolds. After two years and about 7000 miles I touched up a couple of places where very slight rust showed. After a few heat cycles it didn't seem to be as messy when touched as it was when first applied. I did use it on my master cylinder too. It seems fine but I haven't really had to handle my MC after coating it. My brakes have been great so I haven't had to mess with the MC. I used the Eastwood coating on the booster.
I added pictures of the manifolds, coated but not yet run and the master cylinder coated with Calyx too. A little goes a long way, I could probably coat another dozen manifolds with the little pot I bought. I'll be looking for your car at Autorama. It probably won't be hard to find. If there are 5 Oldsmobiles, no, 2 Oldsmobiles I'd be surprised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0031.JPG (94.0 KB, 76 views)
DSCF0058.jpg (77.2 KB, 67 views)
DSCF0077.jpg (83.6 KB, 76 views)
DSCF0078.jpg (79.9 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by texxas; February 9th, 2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the replies.Went out to the garage and tried it on the master cylinder as well as the manifolds after reading the comments here.
Attached Images
20140209_223248.jpg (283.1 KB, 73 views)
20140209_223243.jpg (264.3 KB, 75 views)
20140209_223206.jpg (258.9 KB, 75 views)