Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

She's gone from appealing to a-peeling...

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Unhappy She's gone from appealing to a-peeling...

Before the winter crud starts in on making things worse, is there anything out there that'll re-stickify the "contact paper" they used on wood-sided wagons like mine?

I know there's paint under there that I don't want to damage, and the "wood" is just coming unstuck in the little places where rock chips, car doors, etc. have caused a scratch/divot/whatever.

Lucky for me it's all still there (if I push the pieces back into the metal they leave no gaps), but I can't get a straight answer as to what I can use to re-stick it without damaging the sticker/paint, leaving a lump beneath the fix, etc.

Ideas?...
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:37 PM

Wagon? My wagon?

I bet if you talk to one of those windshield repair guys (who use silicone to repair windshields) he could give you a suggestion on fixing the loose wood grain applique.

What about what is under your car? I know you like to drive this car in the snowy/slushy Michigan winters. I hope that you have had it oil sprayed.
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:48 PM
major noob

At harbor freight you can get a tall green can of adhesive if you apply a good amount to both pieces let stand for 5 minutes you get a real good bond
Old December 19th, 2013, 12:18 PM

3M makes a spray adhesive that I believe is call #87790 or just 8090 this adhesive is good for vinyl top restoration and is 10X better than the regular 8077 adhesive that you find most everywhere.I think this would work very well for this type of repair and it can be used on exterior applications.....Tedd
Old December 19th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by auto_editor
the "wood" is just coming unstuck in the little places where rock chips, car doors, etc. have caused a scratch/divot/whatever. Ideas?...
There are all kinds of companies out there who do vinyl wrap on vehicles (cars, trucks, buses etc) that could probably show you a better solution at an acceptable cost level?
Old December 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
3M makes a spray adhesive that I believe is call #87790 or just 8090 this adhesive is good for vinyl top restoration and is 10X better than the regular 8077 adhesive that you find most everywhere.I think this would work very well for this type of repair and it can be used on exterior applications.....Tedd
This is the same product I would recommend, you could also go a step further and once glued down apply a tiny bit of 3M 3950 edge sealant to the decal edge. It dries clear and prevents the edge from lifting back up, we use it on the placcards applied to the outside of aircraft. Good luck saving your wood