2001 Bravada issue

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:50 AM

2001 Bravada issue

Several months back I could hear the fuel pump whining although the car would operate just fine. Dealer said it could run that way for years or quit tomorrow. Currently the truck is not starting immediately but will start after a couple tries. Any way to diagnose if its the pump on its last legs or could it be an injector? I would think if its an injector it would start fine but run like a miss. Any thoughts? Thanks Pat
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:10 AM

I have a 2002 Bravada and it doesnt make a whining noise. Bring it to a mechanic shop or if you have a high pressure fuel gauge to see what is the fuel pump pressure. I doubt it if its the injector. If the pump is not putting out the correct pressure, the injector will not function correctly. Have you change the fuel filter lately? Do you have a book about your Bravada?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:13 AM

I dont have the book for it so I dont know for sure where the filter is. I was thinking if its the pump, to get a generic fuel pump and mount it on a rail so that down the line if it fails a 4th time, I dont need to drop the tank again. It should draw fuel even if I leave the old in tank pump right?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:37 AM

The fuel filter is mounted inside drivers side frame rail. You will need to spray down the fittings with a penetrating oil several times before you try to break them loose.

The only pumps which I have found be worth putting in are the AC Delco brand. All of the others I have used or known others to have used have failed rather quickly.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by deaddds
I dont have the book for it so I dont know for sure where the filter is. I was thinking if its the pump, to get a generic fuel pump and mount it on a rail so that down the line if it fails a 4th time, I dont need to drop the tank again. It should draw fuel even if I leave the old in tank pump right?
Leaving fuel pump in the gas tank and using a generic pump is not going to work because the of the outlet of the fuel line is connected to the pump. Unless you can find another fuel line that is not connected to the pump in the tank.

If you are going to use a generic fuel pump, it better pump more than 45-50 psi of fuel pressure. Those injectors needs a lot of fuel pressure to have it operate correctly. My 2002 Bravada operates around 48-52 psi.
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:58 PM

There not that hard to change Run low on gas . Drop back of tank to get at lines that go to pump be careful if you have to break the line at the pump not the connector part or even cut the 90 nipple the pump has unhook electric finish dropping tank then remove snap ring turn collar and remove pump new pump will need to be spliced in then with tank out of way either remove pump nipple that broke or was cut and put front half of tank back up raise rear till you can hook up lines and then raise back up forgot rebook up filler tube but that again is easy it will only take a couple of hours by your self or less with a second pair of hands good luck there are some google vids on it too if you look