2000 Bravada climate control

Old February 24th, 2007, 06:27 PM

2000 Bravada climate control

I'm not getting full heat output. Even with control maxxed out I get a medium level of heat with occasional bursts of cold. Replaced the thermostat. Same thing.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Could be a blown resistor somewhere around the blower motor
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Actually, I get plenty of air force out of the vents, its just that the temperature of the air is not as hot as it used to be. Would a blown resistor cause this??
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:42 PM

same problem...

Starting this morning, I have been having the same problem. I have full air from the blower, but it is no longer hot. At best it is luke warm. I first saw the thread from the 98 recommending using the "cut here" access panel. I tried that, but it looks like my door is stuck into the cold position, or my 2000 doesn't have a door. Also, the air that comes out of that open access panel when the car is running is still only luke warm.

My hands are too big to fit into the tiny access hole. I then poped down the Glove compartment, and both actuators are working for direction of flow, and AC. I don't see an actuator for the heat/cool adjustments. I am currently in Wolcott, Colorado (at 9000 feet) and it is COLD and SNOWY here. Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by scoutdad57
Actually, I get plenty of air force out of the vents, its just that the temperature of the air is not as hot as it used to be. Would a blown resistor cause this??
Maybe the coolant thing could be the Thromo stuck open, never allowing the car to reach an operating temp
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
2Blue 55

It could be one or more of the following:

Low coolant level
incorrect thermostat
restricted coolant flow through heater core
heater hoses plugged
mis'adjusted control cable
sticking heater controll valve
vacum hose leaking/blocked
vacum motors busted
blocked air inlet
inoperitive blower moter
oil res in heater core fins
dirt on heater core fins

I hope this helps.
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM

I am haveing the same problem and none of the above worked. My heater will thorw out some heat then I hear a small noise from high under the dash and the temperture changs; if it was hot it turns to cool and if it was cold it turns to warm.
The same thing happens in the A/C mode: hot to cool -- or cool to hot.

Thanks for help
Rich
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM
2Blue 55

Interesting... Has anyone had any luck fixing their's yet... I will ask a few more people amd see what I can come up with.

Welcome to the site Rich
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM

I have replaced the thermostat - - no dice didn't help, I'll keep trying. Damn cars didn't used to be so complicated to fix.
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM
2Blue 55

You said it, they sure don't make them like they used to. I think I might call the GM dealer here and see if they can tell me anything. Good luck trying to fix yours.
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Past Administrator

It's a computer thing! My wife's '99 LeSabre does something similar, no cold air out the upper vents, just the lowers and the defrost vents. I hate it and know it is air management but darn it all with all the sensors and damper doors and computers and whiz bangies. Sheesh!
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:16 AM

My mechanic says he has found the problem with a motor. The motor is located way up under the dash on the right side. He can't find a replacement motor yet. Even if he can find it he says he doesn't know how to get to the F%#K*&g thing. He locked it into a prosition where it gives heat all the time and it doesn't make the noise. The setting don't work neither does the AC.
I will keep you all informed as to what happens.

Rich
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Actuator motor that runs a door to divert hot to cold. Swing the glove box door out past the stop and you can get to the motor.

See this post:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-control.html
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Yeah if it's not the actuator motor. Feel the heater hoses going into the heater core if one is hot and the other not you have a plugged heater core. I worked for a Chev/Olds dealer back then and I don't know how many s-10 heater cores I did under warranty. Turns out there is an assembly plant in Mississippi that had so much mineral content in their water that it mixed with the dexcool and turned to mud. We called it Mississippi mud. There was a service bulletin that had a long drawn out flush proceder that used the trusty old "prestone radiator cleaner" that powder two part acid in a can that worked pretty good but if they were too far gone we just replaced the cores. Prestone has since quit making that stuff now I am beside myself cuz nothing else worked as well, not even close.
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:32 PM

The exact same thing is happening on my car.. It is intermittent, but incredibly uncomfortable when it occurs..some mechanics says its caused by a defective alternator

Last edited by kurtdaniel; February 4th, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:50 PM

I had my blazer clog the the core with that pink crap they put in . Drained it out back washed it out till it came out clean rehooked up and its been 4 years of good heat.