New booster, can't move rod by hand?

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2015, 03:15 PM
zii

New booster, can't move rod by hand?

Quick question:
I'm about to mount the new MBC+booster I bought for my Series 66. Shouldn't I be able to depress the booster's rod by hand force?
I put the rod against my workbench and push hard with both hands on the casing and the thing doesn't move.

I realize the brake pedal gives a lot extra force/leverage... and that's why I'm unsure if this is normal or not.

It's basically this kit but with an 8" booster: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-19...item35c9200977
Old July 2nd, 2015, 09:54 AM

You should be able to push the booster Rod in by hand,otherwise it could not be bench bled.That site says questions are welcome.I believe I would calling them? Good luck! Larry
Old July 2nd, 2015, 10:11 AM
zii

Well, you don't need the booster to bench bleed. I think most people separate the MBC from the booster when they bench bleed it?

Anyways, I've just removed the Honda MBC+booster that some previous owner mounted in the car, and at least that booster can be pushed all the way by hand force. Something's definitely weird here...
Old July 2nd, 2015, 10:37 AM

You are Correct,guess I was thinking about the old treadle -vac unit like I rebuilt on my '55. The booster and master cylinder are all built in one unit . But the booster you purchased seems to have a problem. Hope they will send you another one. Larry
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM
zii

Conclusion:
Finally got the parts mounted and with the booster connected to the pedal it was quite easy to push it in.
Turned out it was a bit sticky which is why I couldn't push it in by hand force alone.
I drove the car a few miles and the brakes felt normal, the booster didn't stick anymore after being used for a while. Having assisting vacuum of course helped too...