Proportioning valve failure

Old October 15th, 2012, 05:04 AM

Proportioning valve failure

The portioning valve on my 75 delta 88 has failed. The front brakes are now dragging. I determined it was the valve by disconnecting the hard line from it to the calipers no fluid came out of the valve.

Checked the parts houses but none are available. Does any one have any suggestions as to where I might find a new one or a cross over from anothe car.
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:48 AM

http://www.inlinetube.com/
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:26 AM

If it's only on one side, that's a symptom of deteriorating hoses. Even if it is the valve, might be worth changing the hoses. It takes longer to bleed the brakes than replace the hoses.
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by boese1978
They had it. Thanks.
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by garys 68
If it's only on one side, that's a symptom of deteriorating hoses. Even if it is the valve, might be worth changing the hoses. It takes longer to bleed the brakes than replace the hoses.

Hoses were only a few months old. Had to change them prior to driving the car home from where I bought it in PA.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:48 AM

I have a 73' cutlass supreme and the prop valve has failed. I've discovered parts that don't belong on my car which leads me to ask , what's really supposed to be on the 73', a prop valve or Distribution block? And what's the diff? I'm currently stationed in Hawaii and the part isn't on island so I'm stranded until I can find the correct part or kit,PLZ HELP?!!
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldskool84
I have a 73' cutlass supreme and the prop valve has failed. I've discovered parts that don't belong on my car which leads me to ask , what's really supposed to be on the 73', a prop valve or Distribution block? And what's the diff? I'm currently stationed in Hawaii and the part isn't on island so I'm stranded until I can find the correct part or kit,PLZ HELP?!!
What you are actually supposed to have is called a Combination Valve, which incorporates the proportioning valve and the distribution block in one housing. The distribution block is simply a tee fitting for the front brakes and a housing to hold the differential pressure valve that lights the BRAKE light on the dash if you lose pressure in one half of the brake system due to a leak. The prop valve actually meters pressure between the discs and drums for proper braking. The combo valve incorporates both functions in one housing. All GM disc brake cars since 1971 have used the combo valve.
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:05 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
What you are actually supposed to have is called a Combination Valve, which incorporates the proportioning valve and the distribution block in one housing. The distribution block is simply a tee fitting for the front brakes and a housing to hold the differential pressure valve that lights the BRAKE light on the dash if you lose pressure in one half of the brake system due to a leak. The prop valve actually meters pressure between the discs and drums for proper braking. The combo valve incorporates both functions in one housing. All GM disc brake cars since 1971 have used the combo valve.
Thanx for the info Joe but my car has drums all around and thus my dilemma
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:09 PM

This little part has been the bane of my existence bc I can't find it on island and shipping fees ,when I do find it online ,are going to murder my wallet :/ ! I really don't want to spend money on a disc brake conversion , is there any way around this?
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldskool84
Thanx for the info Joe but my car has drums all around and thus my dilemma
You have a 73 Cutlass with four wheel drums??? I've never seen one. Note that the 1973 Oldsmobile dealer brochure shows that front disk brakes are standard equipment on every 73 Cutlass, so you may want to take another look at your front brakes.
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You have a 73 Cutlass with four wheel drums??? I've never seen one. Note that the 1973 Oldsmobile dealer brochure shows that front disk brakes are standard equipment on every 73 Cutlass, so you may want to take another look at your front brakes.
Yep it deff has drums all around :/ ! Your not the first person to be suprised by this so it sounds like there's a disc brake conversion in my future ;(