69 Cutlass Convertible Top Bleeding Procedure Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:32 PM

69 Cutlass Convertible Top Bleeding Procedure Need Help!

Does anyone have the Fisher Body Manual that covers the 69 Cutlass? I'm looking to bleed the convertible top hydraulic system and just realized the Chassis Service Manual doesn't have this information. If someone could either summarize the procedure steps from the book in a reply or give me their own directions/step, I'd appreciate it immensely. I was hoping to get this done over the weekend. Thanks!
Old August 31st, 2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by kens69olds
Does anyone have the Fisher Body Manual that covers the 69 Cutlass? I'm looking to bleed the convertible top hydraulic system and just realized the Chassis Service Manual doesn't have this information. If someone could either summarize the procedure steps from the book in a reply or give me their own directions/step, I'd appreciate it immensely. I was hoping to get this done over the weekend. Thanks!
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:08 AM

I bought the bleading kit with attachment and reservoir but I don't think it is required. I believe the system is self bleading.
Fill reservoir, plug, run top a little, fill reservoir, plug, run top a little, repeat till top works correctly and fluid is no longer needed to top off reservoir.
Be careful not to overheat the top motor with excessive cycles as it is not made for continuous service.
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is a self bleeding system and no kit is required. I took a small piece of rubber hose and tapered the end to fit in the right side where I pulled the plug out. I put a small funnel in the other end and had my wife run the top up and down as I added fluid. Use automatic trans fluid and not brake fluid since it is very corrosive. You will need lots of rags since this is a messy job.
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:15 PM

I put a small tray under mine on initial fill, used a hose as mentioned above. make sure top is down so the cylinders are collapsed. otherwise you will overfill the system. run up and down a few times then top it off. no bleeding required.