Bleeding Disk Brakes

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Bleeding Disk Brakes

Okay this is not for an Oldsmobile. It is for a 79 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup my son has. The truck sat up for about 5 years. We got it cranked and it runs great without even a lifter clatter. The brakes are another issue. The brakes went to the floor so we replaced the master cylinder. Of course we bench bled the master cylinder. The left front brake is locked up tight but I am guessing that is a stuck caliper. It does not release when you crack the bleeder. We have plenty of fluid out the left front but nothing out the right side. Do we need to press the pin on the proportioning valve to center the thing. You can barely see the valve since it is inside the frame under the fan shroud.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:44 AM

I think I would check the front rubber brake hoses. You can check for fluid movement by loosing the metal line where it meets the rubber hose, if you have fluid there and none at the caliper bleeder the rubber hose is bad. I have had several of these trucks, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton. The front rubber lines have given me a lot of trouble. The rubber hose has a metal bracket which bolts to the upper control arm to prevent the hose from moving around and possibly getting in the way of other moving parts. This bracket gets rusty and the rust buildup can pinch the hose off and stop the fluid flow. And the calipers also can stick, as you said already. When the hose is messed up you can sometimes think it is the caliper as the fluid will be pushed to the caliper by the master cylinder but can't return/release, I read where you say you opened the bleeder and the caliper is still stuck so I see you know what you are doing here, you may be better than me at this, I am just pointing to where I have had problems. But I have never heard of pushing the button on the prop valve, it may be necessary but I just never heard of it. The rubber hoses have been a thorn in the side for me though. I wish you the best luck.
Mike
Old June 7th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks for the response 66luvr. Before I start getting into talking about brakes, let me tell you I have always admired your car. I love the 66-67's and yours is very tastefully done.

The hose was the first thing I thought of. It is a nightmare to change on this truck. It may be a little different than some you have had in that it goes into the frame right behind the fuel lines. You can't even see it. Of course the line will be rusted on the hose and the clip is on the inside of the frame. I have had a hose on a previous cutlass actually act like a check valve. When you applied pressure, it would just keep pressure on until you cracked the bleeder valve. We get plenty of fluid out the left side but nothing out the left side at all. I took the hose off the caliper and thought maybe the caliper was rusted. No such luck. The propostioning valve on this thing is on the crossmember under the radiator shroud. We are just trying to get this thing ready to deliver since he has a buyer for it. This is one of those jobs that is a knuckle busting, fit throwing, cussing ordeal.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Thanks for the response 66luvr. Before I start getting into talking about brakes, let me tell you I have always admired your car. I love the 66-67's and yours is very tastefully done.

The hose was the first thing I thought of. It is a nightmare to change on this truck. It may be a little different than some you have had in that it goes into the frame right behind the fuel lines. You can't even see it. Of course the line will be rusted on the hose and the clip is on the inside of the frame. I have had a hose on a previous cutlass actually act like a check valve. When you applied pressure, it would just keep pressure on until you cracked the bleeder valve. We get plenty of fluid out the left side but nothing out the left side at all. I took the hose off the caliper and thought maybe the caliper was rusted. No such luck. The propostioning valve on this thing is on the crossmember under the radiator shroud. We are just trying to get this thing ready to deliver since he has a buyer for it. This is one of those jobs that is a knuckle busting, fit throwing, cussing ordeal.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Thank you for your compliment. The blue car is my sons car, he picked the color and scheme, I did the wrenching and a friends body shop did the paint.
I hope you find the brake problem, please tell us if you figure it out, I love to learn.
Mike
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Alb

brakes

The first thing that I would do is jack up the radiator cap and drive a Ford under it. But in all seriousness. I would check the hose first. Then go from there. I also have had problems with them.
Alb