Emergency brake cable too long??

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:14 AM

Emergency brake cable too long??

Got a problem -- need some help?? 67 Cutlass.
I am trying to determine if they make two or more different length Emergency loop cables ( the horseshoe one)? or do they maye different length tension hooks ( the round hook that hooks into the crossmember and then holds/supports the cable?
Here;'s my problem -- I changed a 67 Cutlass with a 330 w/ auto trans and swapped in a big block 400 with TH400 trans. In the installation you have to move the crossmember to the rearward set of holes for the TH400.
This, in turn, moves the overall position of the cable hook since it attaches to the crossmember. Now I cannot adjust the tension correctly for the E-brake to work because it now appears that the cable is too long. So what part do i need to replace?
I've been told that they only made one length cable for all applications. (can only find one in parts books). Right Stuff told me the same!!
Also been told they only make one length cables that insert into the rear brake drums?? So, that leaves the "hook' holder as the only variable? Do they make these in a different length to accomodate the crossmember location difference? I've also been told that there is only ONE of these??
One of these items has to change? Which one is it? And if it turns out to be the "hooked" one can I just re-bend the one i got or fabricate a shorter one that will do the job? I would like to have the correct parts if possible?
Any help appreciated!
Thanks
Tweed
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Both the front and intermediate cables are different with a TH400 than for other transmissions due to the different crossmember location.
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Both the front and intermediate cables are different with a TH400 than for other transmissions due to the different crossmember location.
Joe -
Is the intermediate cable the horshoe one that loops from one wheel to the other? It makes sense that there would be a shorter version of this cable, but this is the one that i have been repeatedly told that there is only ONE length made for a 666-67?
It doesnt appear that there is any problem with the front cable's length and if there were a longer one (to reach further beyond the crossmember in its new location, then it would make the loop cable to need to be even shorter yet that what i now need?
And again, i cannot find anywhere or anyone that lists one of these loop cables in a different length for the 66-67 A - body? "say it aint so , Joe"!!!!
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
And again, i cannot find anywhere or anyone that lists one of these loop cables in a different length for the 66-67 A - body? "say it aint so , Joe"!!!!
Unfortunately, you're looking for love in all the wrong places...

www.napaonline.com shows the following

TH400 front cable P/N UP92407 50.13"
Non-TH400 front cable P/N UP92263 44.17"

TH400 intermediate cable P/N UP92408 88"
Non-TH400 intermediate cable P/N UP92276 103.5"

Note that there are actually FOUR different intermediate cable lengths for 1967, since the Vista Cruiser has a 5" longer wheelbase, so the VC has different cable lengths. The TH400 was not offered in the 1966 cars, so there is only one front and two intermediates (one VC, one all other bodies) for 1966. In both years, the rear cables - the ones that come off the backing plates - are the same for all.
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM

Note that there are actually FOUR different intermediate cable lengths for 1967, since the Vista Cruiser has a 5" longer wheelbase, so the VC has different cable lengths. The TH400 was not offered in the 1966 cars, so there is only one front and two intermediates (one VC, one all other bodies) for 1966. In both years, the rear cables - the ones that come off the backing plates - are the same for all.
Thanks --- so much for listening to Right Stuff!! I did think I looked in CSM and Assy man and couldnt find what you just showed me at NAPA. I still think I can make it work with the shorter intermediate cable - dont see any reason to install the longer front cable? It may not be correct - but for it to work is all i need! Thanks again for your help!!
Tweed
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:35 AM

at second look -- that short intermediate wont work unless you use the longer front cable. Its too short to work with the non-th400 cable. I still think that i could make the thing work simply by re-bending the hook to shorten the intermediate cable length? I will try that before I re-tackle changing that front cable --- theyre a bitch! I've done a few and really cuss till I get them connected under dash!!
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

at second look -- that short intermediate wont work unless you use the longer front cable. Its too short to work with the non-th400 cable. I still think that i could make the thing work simply by re-bending the hook to shorten the intermediate cable length? I will try that before I re-tackle changing that front cable --- theyre a bitch! I've done a few and really cuss till I get them connected under dash!!
I've only done this swap on the 68-72 cars, and there was no way the short front cable could be made to work in a TH400 application. I can't speak to the 64-67 cars first-hand, but GM usually doesn't spend the money on designing and warehousing different parts if the same one can be made to work in multiple applications.
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:52 AM

I've only done this swap on the 68-72 cars, and there was no way the short front cable could be made to work in a TH400 application. I can't speak to the 64-67 cars first-hand, but GM usually doesn't spend the money on designing and warehousing different parts if the same one can be made to work in multiple applications.
I'll let ya know. The only way it wont work by shortening the intermediate cable is if there still isnt enough stroke/travel to set the brake before the curved tension clevis bottoms out against the crossmember or wedges itself between the crossmember and the floorboard. If it only tales 2" or less travel to set the brake I may be able to do it!
Will let ya know -
thanks again,
Tweed
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM

Since the front cable goes thru the slot in the crossmember and has the adjuster, that is why prob different lengths since member is moved backwards for the T400 trans.
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll let ya know. The only way it wont work by shortening the intermediate cable is if there still isnt enough stroke/travel to set the brake before the curved tension clevis bottoms out against the crossmember or wedges itself between the crossmember and the floorboard.
Yeah, that was exactly the problem I had. Keep in mind that the front cable needs to have enough travel to accommodate stretch in the cables and wear in the brake shoes.
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM

Joe Blu-
I see what ur sayin- but I think i can make it work by routing the cable above the crossmember along the underside of the floor instead of taking it under the crossmember and through the elongated slot. Joe Pad - Theres no way the thing will work without the longer front cable if you want to route it thru the slot in the crossmember. I never mentioned that I was trying to make it work by routing the cable above the crossmember along the floor!! thanks again to both of you!!
Tweed
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:17 AM

67 picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bh1.jpg (54.1 KB, 67 views)
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
67 picture
Joe -
where's your hook? it aint in the pic? You cant make it work without the hook cable holder that attaches to crossmember on pass side?
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM

67 picture
Joe-
your little hook is in wrong location too! It goes back almost under rear seat on floor pan??!! LOL
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM

I have the little hooks on both sides in the floor braces, car came in pieces so dont really know and shop manual is not real clear, but got this setup from the white parts car. Dont know if its right but it works! lol Can fine tune later if need be...
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM

I have the little hooks on both sides in the floor braces, car came in pieces so dont really know and shop manual is not real clear, but got this setup from the white parts car. Dont know if its right but it works! lol Can fine tune later if need be...
The hook im talkin about is about 1/4" diameter steel bent in hook style on both ends - tighter bend on end that holds cable -- looser hook on end that goes into hole on topside of crossmember on pass side of car. Use your hand to feel on top of crossmemver and you an feel the hole! Those small hooks are for support and guides - not to withstand any of the pressure of applying the brake. I suspect if you press hard on the pedal you will just bend those small hooks. Probably bend right out straight and fly off!
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:21 AM

Yeah I have a couple of those but was not sure of location and just the 2 little ones were on the white 4dr so I guess I am somewhat lost too. Will have to thumb thru the books some or look at my other 67...
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:59 AM

Ok I see what it should be 2 light wire hooks that appear to be on the 1st floor brace after cross member on each side then the heavy hook on passenger side cross member. The assembly manual shows it in the brake section.
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:37 AM

Joe P- thanks for the info!! My local NAPA store even has the things in stock. Now for the real ending to this story. I was digging around on the shelfs at the shop on saturday and found all of the parking brake cables that i had removed from a 67 Th400 442 parts car that i scrapped out years ago. Forgot all about them! The intermediate cable is there wound up and duct-taped to the front cable with the adjuster clevis still attached! Exactly everything I need for my project. Now all I have to do is decide if i want to go the "cheap" and put those old rusty parts that would need cleaned and painted OR just run over to NAPA and get new ones for $46 bux!
Am leaning toward new! Lotta work cleaning, painting, and lubing!! LOL!!
Thanks again,
Tweed
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Getting There

hmmm guess I will be finding this out as well

I got my new e-brake kit as well from the right stuff for the 400

for mine though it seems it should fit fine my crossmember is almost all the way back with lots of slack to play with
IMG_2047.jpg
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ranzan
hmmm guess I will be finding this out as well

I got my new e-brake kit as well from the right stuff for the 400

for mine though it seems it should fit fine my crossmember is almost all the way back with lots of slack to play with
Your frame is beautiful!! Is that a "Canadian" paint job!! LOL. Your Parking brake cables look exactly correct and will be perfect when you get those little hangers on the underbody in place!
What paint/painting process did you use on your frame -- tell me more -- i would like mine to be just like yours! I want the extra gloss like yours, rather than the dull gloss factory look. Around here, everyone likes "shiny" even though it isnt "factory correct". I like doin stuff "my way" or to suit Me - not to suit someone else or some idiotic show judge!!! I get more pleasure out of pleasing me and my WIFE, rather than some unkown judge or critic!! It OUR car and we are the ones enjoying it!!
Thanks
Tweed
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Getting There

Tweed

I blasted and used Por 15 on my chassis

2 coats of the standard POR then 2 coats of the Chassis topcoat

the thing I like about Por is that it is a self leveler which fills in the inperfections of the frame

I did not brush it on though I sprayed it

I think my chassis work is on page 4 of my build thread with some closer shots of the frame
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:30 AM

Did you use an epoxy primer or any rust inhibitor for first application after the blast?
Please send me a link to your build thread -
Thanks
Tweed
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Getting There

Tweed nothing before the POR I called thier tech line before hand and they said with the rough texture after blasting the POR will bite fine

my build thread is in my sig line at the bottom
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Joe P- thanks for the info!! My local NAPA store even has the things in stock. Now for the real ending to this story. I was digging around on the shelfs at the shop on saturday and found all of the parking brake cables that i had removed from a 67 Th400 442 parts car that i scrapped out years ago. Forgot all about them! The intermediate cable is there wound up and duct-taped to the front cable with the adjuster clevis still attached! Exactly everything I need for my project. Now all I have to do is decide if i want to go the "cheap" and put those old rusty parts that would need cleaned and painted OR just run over to NAPA and get new ones for $46 bux!
Am leaning toward new! Lotta work cleaning, painting, and lubing!! LOL!!
Thanks again,
Tweed
Guys - I decided to go the "el-cheapo" route to solve my cable lenght dilemma. I simply started tying knots in the too long intermediate cable until it got down tthe corect workable length. I was still able to route that short existing front cable through the crossmember hole like it is suppose to be. It now works fine! It aint "pretty" but it works. I have some pix that wont upload today for some reason -- I keep getting "upload failed" message. So Wes or Joe - I can email you the pics and maybe you can get them to post? Total cost - $0.00" - Hows that for cheap!! And besides saving $50 bux on new ones -- I also saved myself all of the aggravation associsted with replacing that front cable!! LOL !Thanks
Tweed
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Guys - I decided to go the "el-cheapo" route to solve my cable lenght dilemma. I simply started tying knots in the too long intermediate cable until it got down tthe corect workable length. I was still able to route that short existing front cable through the crossmember hole like it is suppose to be. It now works fine! It aint "pretty" but it works. I have some pix that wont upload today for some reason -- I keep getting "upload failed" message. So Wes or Joe - I can email you the pics and maybe you can get them to post? Total cost - $0.00" - Hows that for cheap!! And besides saving $50 bux on new ones -- I also saved myself all of the aggravation associsted with replacing that front cable!! LOL !Thanks
Tweed
Heres one pic -- I just figured out how to resize my pics! Ugh! What a dummy I am!! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN3378.JPG (185.9 KB, 66 views)