Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Trunklid adjustment

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2015, 10:41 AM

Trunklid adjustment

Test fitted the trunk lid on my 68 442,and it seems like it's difficult to get a good fit.
Left side is to low,can shim this.
Right side is a little to high.
The entire lid should go more to the front to match the curve on the quarterpanels.Seems like I must enlarge the oblong holes on the hinges to get this right.
Wonder if anybody else have had problems with this,or if it is just my car?
The trunklid is not original to the car,seems it has been replaced a couple of resprays back.
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:14 PM

A couple of things you can try.. On the right side which is too high ,open the trunk and force bend upward, that should lower it and move it forward at the same time. On the left side 2x4 between the hinge and floorboard and force down (opposite of the other side).Do a little at a time. Then rattail file holes if needed. Hope that helped.
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:08 PM

Thanks I'll give it a try a later on.Got more serious problems.
This afternoon has been a disaster.
The hood had a huge ding dong dent on the driver side.The underhood frame looked ok thought.After removing multiple layers of paint and filler I could see what has happened.
The hood was actually broken on top of the left hinge.I tried to shrink the stretched metal,but this was to much for my skills.First it was bent down stretching it on the upper side,then bent back up stretching it on the underside.Ended up shrinking too much in some directions,too little in other.Ended up cutting out the damaged section.Had to cut out a 16 by 12" section to get the tension out of the surounding metal.I'll try to weld in a patch ,but I am sceptical.Might have to get a replacement hood and that's going to be an expensive deal.