Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

65 olds trunk lock install help

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2015, 02:45 PM
Green Horn

65 olds trunk lock install help

I don't know what's wrong with me but i'm on my 3rd brand new set of trunk locks and I still can't get it working.

I've even bought a new latch. The straight lever that comes with it will not line up with the latch because it's further down in the hole. i've tried bending the lever and still had no luck.

what am I doing wrong here? car is a 65 oldsmobile jetstar, i have 3 new lock sets now and a new latch. No luck anywhere.
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:55 PM

Not sure from your description, but good drawings of it in Fisher Body Manual.
Did you not have one and you are installing it? Will the shaft go in the lock assembly 2 different ways?
Old May 21st, 2015, 07:00 PM
Green Horn

Originally Posted by m371961
Not sure from your description, but good drawings of it in Fisher Body Manual.
Did you not have one and you are installing it? Will the shaft go in the lock assembly 2 different ways?

I don't have a manual handy, but I have installed trunk locks before. This one the hole for the latch is much lower than the slot in the trunk. I've purchased a new latch and have tried to adjust it multiple times with no luck. it's almost as if the cylinder rod has to go downward and then flatten out. i tried bending mine that way and it doesn't want to spin as much as needed in the latch. It's binding up or something due to the angle.
Old May 21st, 2015, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by mauls
I don't know what's wrong with me but i'm on my 3rd brand new set of trunk locks and I still can't get it working.

I've even bought a new latch. The straight lever that comes with it will not line up with the latch because it's further down in the hole. i've tried bending the lever and still had no luck.

what am I doing wrong here? car is a 65 oldsmobile jetstar, i have 3 new lock sets now and a new latch. No luck anywhere.
Not all parts will interchange between all series or manual/power configurations for 1965. Be sure that you have the correct parts for your application. The body service manual shows various configurations for the "B" bodies beginning on page 1F-8.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 07:50 AM
Green Horn

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Not all parts will interchange between all series or manual/power configurations for 1965. Be sure that you have the correct parts for your application. The body service manual shows various configurations for the "B" bodies beginning on page 1F-8.
I don't have a manual specific to the jetstar, i do have a 65 Chevy impala manual but i'm sure they are different.

Do you happen to have a screenshot of the page I can review?
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:18 AM

I tried to get and post a copy from my electronic manual, but not savy enough to do it. My scanner is o/s. You should get a manual, or pay 25 bucks to access on Wild about Cars. You should have the Fischer Body Manual and the Chassis Service Manual even if you only do minor work on it. Maybe someone else can help. The pic in the manual shows the link between the lock and latch is not straight and bends downward. I think my 98 link can be installed both ways IIRC.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 02:13 PM

My scanner must be a Ford, anyway I snapped a couple pics from my manual. When I get back next from the holiday I can snap some of my car. (65 Jetstar1)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1201.jpg (48.2 KB, 24 views)
DSCF1202.jpg (45.8 KB, 22 views)
Old May 22nd, 2015, 02:51 PM
Green Horn

Originally Posted by Jetstarjim
My scanner must be a Ford, anyway I snapped a couple pics from my manual. When I get back next from the holiday I can snap some of my car. (65 Jetstar1)
Thank you so much for the pictures. Now I know why i've been wasting my time. The one's i've been trying to install (which say they fit a jetstar) are way different.

Now the challenge is the hunt to find the locking mechanism that I need that will fit my car.

Any hints?

Thanks a million!
Old May 22nd, 2015, 03:07 PM

I honestly am not sure, often times I just make something. Give me your bumpers, and I'll make you one, lol! Seriously though, you can take a long straight piece, cut halfway thru where you need the bends, and weld it up. Wala!, you just saved $6 by utilizing $95 worth of your time, lol!
Old May 22nd, 2015, 03:15 PM

Wala!, you just saved $6 by utilizing $95 worth of your time, lol!
I have plenty of time worth way less then $95. I use the excuse that it keeps my skills up.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 03:36 PM
Green Horn

I honestly am not sure, often times I just make something. Give me your bumpers, and I'll make you one, lol! Seriously though, you can take a long straight piece, cut halfway thru where you need the bends, and weld it up. Wala!, you just saved $6 by utilizing $95 worth of your time, lol!

Instead of the bumpers just buy the whole car Just note you need a flat head screw driver to open the trunk lol.

I'll try to find another rod for the trunk lock and bend it like in the example to see if that will work.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by mauls
I don't have a manual specific to the jetstar, i do have a 65 Chevy impala manual but i'm sure they are different.

Do you happen to have a screenshot of the page I can review?
It took a while to coax the scanner.
Attached Images
Olds 1965 body manual 1F-8.jpg (65.7 KB, 20 views)
Olds 1965 body manual 1F-9.jpg (53.1 KB, 21 views)