Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

65 Cutlass Convertible where to start

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2015, 12:27 PM

65 Cutlass Convertible where to start

I need to replace the floor and at least the center brace, the trunk floor and all 4 braces and both rear quarters
I am probably going to buy the 1 piece floor with attached braces and the 7 piece trunk floor kit and have found some rust free quarters so where is the best place to start
I was thinking the floor first then the trunk and quarters , seems like the wheel housing will just need some minor repairs so shouldn't be moving them.
Also where is recommended to cut and splice the quarters.
I plan on having the body blasted then repair and then pull the body to do the frame and finish the underside while it is on a cart, any and all tips and pointers would be appreciated

Maurice
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Pictures, pictures, pictures then label, label, label

Everything! even the smallest detail, where a clip comes off (label the clip). Every screw, nut and bolt. It may take some time but it is well worth it. Take pics as you disassemble everything. Put parts together in labeled plastic storage bins. Interior parts, under hood, trunk, taillights, headlights etc. If for some reason this project takes longer than you expected, you will have your Pics, bins and labels to save you. Don't count on your memory, especially if you are getting older...we all are.
Get an assembly manual too.
Ask me how I figured this stuff out, I've lost a lot of hair!
Old April 27th, 2015, 09:20 AM

No body guys willing to give some advice, I ended up buying the 2 piece floor that goes part way up the firewall and just the center brace, for the trunk I got a brand new 7 piece one off ebay for $85, the rear quarters are coming from a supposedly rust free and bondo free california car but I haven't received them yet, just pictures and the sellers words.

So where would be the best place to start, should I do the repairs on the frame or pull the body and do on a cart, body has to come off sometime as I will be putting a new frame under it also.
Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Maurice
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:21 AM

No disrespect intended in any way, but, If you have to ask maybe you are in over your head a bit?
Old April 27th, 2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by boese1978
No disrespect intended in any way, but, If you have to ask maybe you are in over your head a bit?
With all due respect, some of my Oh Crap moments ended in great clarity and learning. I'd start with the floor pans and work my way out.

Tim
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:03 AM

Actually answers that bring no value to a topic on this or any forum are disrespectful when you have no idea of the posters skills, I was always under the impression a forum was for asking peoples opinions and advise on the requested topic not just telling them they are in over their head with no knowledge about them.

Maurice
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by tmaleck
With all due respect, some of my Oh Crap moments ended in great clarity and learning. I'd start with the floor pans and work my way out.

Tim
Thanks for the response Tim as I am just trying to get an idea on where to start, that is where I thought about starting and then do the trunk and then the quarters.
Old April 28th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Without knowing how experienced you are......forgive me if this sounds obvious: You should weld in cross-braces before you cut out the floors. The floor (and floor bracing that you mentioned) helps keep the body square, once its out the body sides can move and get out of square. Also it is preferable to remove the doors, since if you work with a door open the weight of it hanging will pull the body out of place (if it isn't properly braced).

You should weld a piece of square stock or angle iron from the front of the door opening across to the other side, and along the back where the seat back is from side to side. You want to place these pieces low enough to support the bottom of the body but hight enough that they won't interfere with your work. Then go from front to rear close to the side of the car, and finally cross-wise from the front brace on one side to the opposite side on the rear brace.

This should get you started properly.
Old April 28th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Justin

Look up therobski build has great pointers on a 64 same basically I think it's " progress on 64 build "?

He did floors trunk deck filler

My build has some pointers as I built my quarters

If you plan on pulling body off frame make sure you install braces or your car will fold/ tweek being a vert

Good luck on your build
Old April 29th, 2015, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by mauricer
Actually answers that bring no value to a topic on this or any forum are disrespectful when you have no idea of the posters skills, I was always under the impression a forum was for asking peoples opinions and advise on the requested topic not just telling them they are in over their head with no knowledge about them.

Maurice
Take it how you like, be a jerk, act put upon, but don't ask open ended questions if you are that delicate.
Old April 29th, 2015, 08:40 AM

I have not tackled this personally but I would leave the body on the frame until all the panels you want to replace are done. Because you don't have the roof for structural support you need to keep things as solid as possible. Again, as mentioned earlier, look at some of the Vert builds others have done and give those guys a shout. Work on strengthening the structure before moving to the quarters in my opinion. Im sure the body guy you know with the modified 65 will give you some pointers as well. Good luck with the build
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:04 AM

Take it how you like, be a jerk, act put upon, but don't ask open ended questions if you are that delicate.
Another good response Boese1978 but can you take the internet tough guy routine someplace else as I am getting some useful info here from guys that are actually trying to help.

No more responses from me Boese1978 so please move on
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by customsbyflash
Without knowing how experienced you are......forgive me if this sounds obvious: You should weld in cross-braces before you cut out the floors. The floor (and floor bracing that you mentioned) helps keep the body square, once its out the body sides can move and get out of square. Also it is preferable to remove the doors, since if you work with a door open the weight of it hanging will pull the body out of place (if it isn't properly braced).

You should weld a piece of square stock or angle iron from the front of the door opening across to the other side, and along the back where the seat back is from side to side. You want to place these pieces low enough to support the bottom of the body but hight enough that they won't interfere with your work. Then go from front to rear close to the side of the car, and finally cross-wise from the front brace on one side to the opposite side on the rear brace.

This should get you started properly.
Are you recommending all of these braces if it is done on the frame or only if I pull the body, only the center brace under the front seats will be removed.
I was planning on doing the floorpans while it is on the frame and was only going to brace from the upper hinge to the strike plate screw and possibly from side to side if its needed
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Look up therobski build has great pointers on a 64 same basically I think it's " progress on 64 build "?

He did floors trunk deck filler

My build has some pointers as I built my quarters

If you plan on pulling body off frame make sure you install braces or your car will fold/ tweek being a vert

Good luck on your build
Oldstata thanks for the heads up on the 64 build, I have also checked out Alldun5 build on 442bro as he did almost exactly what i'm planning except I have been considering using a LH2 from a Cadillac, my car is missing the data plate so no way to prove what was original on it so I may as well modify it I figure

w29.boards.net/thread/2164/geraldine-65-convertible
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 442scotty
I have not tackled this personally but I would leave the body on the frame until all the panels you want to replace are done. Because you don't have the roof for structural support you need to keep things as solid as possible. Again, as mentioned earlier, look at some of the Vert builds others have done and give those guys a shout. Work on strengthening the structure before moving to the quarters in my opinion. Im sure the body guy you know with the modified 65 will give you some pointers as well. Good luck with the build
Good idea Don I never even thought to ask Dave and I will be seeing him next week to pickup my frame, If you still are looking for original trunk pans the guy I am getting the quarters from says his is rust free and I can find out more if you want.
Old April 29th, 2015, 01:23 PM

Are you recommending all of these braces if it is done on the frame or only if I pull the body, only the center brace under the front seats will be removed.
I was planning on doing the floorpans while it is on the frame and was only going to brace from the upper hinge to the strike plate screw and possibly from side to side if its needed
I misread your earlier post. If you are only removing the center brace then you don't need to do the x-brace in the center. I would still put bracing from front to rear along the sides and across at the front and rear, like a rectangle, even if you keep the body on the frame.
Old April 29th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Justin

I would brace it, as stated above if you plan to pull body from frame it must be done! personally, I would still brace it while on frame doing any floor work on a vert.

Last edited by oldstata; April 29th, 2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old April 29th, 2015, 03:59 PM

Good idea Don I never even thought to ask Dave and I will be seeing him next week to pickup my frame, If you still are looking for original trunk pans the guy I am getting the quarters from says his is rust free and I can find out more if you want.

Sure!