Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Vista glass area rust

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2015, 05:01 PM

Vista glass area rust

I've searched but can't find the detail I'm looking for. Who has made custom patches for the vista glass channels? The area around the big glass area in my 68 has a few spots.
So if you have made patches for this area please share. Thanks.
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rktolds
I've searched but can't find the detail I'm looking for. Who has made custom patches for the vista glass channels? The area around the big glass area in my 68 has a few spots.
So if you have made patches for this area please share. Thanks.
Get a small sheet metal brake and shrinker/stretcher. The side windows are pretty easy since the patches are straight. The compound curves on the front window require the shrinker/stretcher in two directions.
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:49 AM

Thanks Joe. I've heard good things about the Shriner/stretchers at harbor freight. Don't they make a metal brake that goes in a vise?
Old January 27th, 2015, 03:44 PM

rkt, Please start a thread when you do this. A lot of us are going to have to deal with this issue. My roof is real bad. I parted out another Vista and that roof was a little better but still has issues. I'm hoping to use some of it for patches.
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:36 AM

Greg,
Will do. I hope to start on the car this spring. It's a New Mexico car and it overall solid. The window channels, luggage area and a spot under the passenger side of the middle seat are the rust issues.

Matt
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rktolds
Greg,
Will do. I hope to start on the car this spring. It's a New Mexico car and it overall solid. The window channels, luggage area and a spot under the passenger side of the middle seat are the rust issues.

Matt
That's exactly the problem I have with my 64 VC from Nevada. The body is really solid except for the roof window pinchwelds. Of course, the water that leaked in there rusted the inside garnish moldings and some of the load floor panels. I ended up buying a 67 VC parts car for the roof glass and some of the interior panels. Yes, I realize there are differences in some of these parts from the 64-65 cars to the 66-67 cars.