Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Windshield Header Replacement / Why is my car lopsided?

Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Windshield Header Replacement / Why is my car lopsided?

I have a rusty windshield header that needs to be replaced. I found an original solid piece off an old car. My problem is I just don't have the skills/tools to replace it. Anyone have any ideas on who to take it to? I called a body shop, and they recommended a windshield shop they use.

Also, my car is sitting lopsided and I have no idea why. It always has since i've owned it. I'm just now starting to try to figure out why The shocks are new, and I just had the front springs replaced. Is the frame bent? I have no idea. Any thoughts on that?

The pics below are of the bad windshield header and of the lopsided stance on my car.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bad header..jpg (44.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg
lopsided front.jpg (28.0 KB, 58 views)
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:46 PM

The parking lot stripes and the shadows make it more difficult to see the true stance of the car. The white stripe is somewhat diagonal in the pic, and the shadow is going the opposite way. try to take pics on solid colored ground with no shadows and no stripes. Measure from frame to ground in several places, compare rt. to lt. Frame could be bent, or front springs maybe be installed incorrectly. Could also be rear spring/suspension problems.

Last edited by steverw; October 22nd, 2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: more
Old October 22nd, 2014, 02:06 PM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

That pic does make it look a bit worse than it is. It's also on a hill.

I have stuck my in hand at the top of the left tire and I get just over 2 fingers of clearance at the arc of the fender.

On the right side I get a bit over 4 fingers of clearance.

That's not an exact science, but there's something definitely off. I'll try to find/take better pics.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

First, with the tires properly inflated, park the car on a known flat, level surface and measure from the ground to the reference points on the underside of the rockers. Your Chassis Service Manual will tell you where to do the measuring. Once you have this information, you can determine if you have a real problem or not. If you do, the obvious causes are a bad spring, bent suspension, or a frame issue. It can also be a rusted or deteriorated body mount or incorrect crash repair in a prior life.

As for the windshield frame, I would be amazed if a glass shop had the skills to properly weld in the new part. I would search out a proper restoration shop and pay appropriately. This is a big deal and you'll have no end of problems if it isn't done correctly.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:33 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

As for the windshield header I have a interior/soft top shop where I live that has that service(dash grafting, welding headers and other vert specific items). These guys do custom & factory interiors and tops. They do soup to nuts on verts. See if you have a similar shop in your area. I find that if you ferret out the high quality shops your better off in the long run. If the high quality shop doesnt do the type of work your seeking chances are they can recommend a place. And chances are that place will be of high quality also.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:37 AM

As mentioned, could be the springs up front, do a visual check to insure the lower spring pig tails are in the LCA "indent".