Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Need Help IDing windshield part/finding a new one

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2014, 12:20 PM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Need Help IDing windshield part/finding a new one

I have a 68 cutlass convertible. There's a vinyl covered piece of metal on the very top of the windshield which the convertible top rests on that is pretty rusty!

Here are my Questions:

What is it?

Is it part of the windshield frame or is it it's own piece that can be changed out?

Where can I find another one?

I don't think it's salvageable.

Thanks for your help!
Old April 14th, 2014, 05:11 PM

I think it is called a windshield header panel or something like that.

Try this link and then search windshield header (one item should pop up) and see if that is what you are looking for.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/old...ID=4&year=1968
Old April 14th, 2014, 05:37 PM

It is welded to the A pillars on the side of the windshield. I have a nice one from a '69 Skylark convertible(same part) up here in Indianapolis. I'd like to get $125.00 for it & I could ship it to you, I'd guess shipping would be about $30.00-$50.00.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:35 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

It has to be welded on??!! So that means it has to be cut off right? That sounds like it's WAAAY outside of my comfort level, which means I'd have to hire someone to do it, which means more $$$.

Thank you for your offer Scott. Sounds fair, but let me see what else I have to do before I purchase any parts.

Thanks!
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:38 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Originally Posted by srs1a
I think it is called a windshield header panel or something like that.

Try this link and then search windshield header (one item should pop up) and see if that is what you are looking for.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/old...ID=4&year=1968
Thanks! That's a great site. Why haven't I heard of that before? It looks like they have one for 160.

But like I told Scott, I'm going to have to research a little more about the work that goes into this before I take the plunge.
Old April 15th, 2014, 09:15 AM

Today, you don't always have to weld something back on. Many parts can now be replaced permanently by using structural body adhesives available at body shop supply stores. This is a 2 part epoxy adhesive that holds as well as welding. Only down side, is that once it is glued on, it can't be removed without destroying it.
Old April 16th, 2014, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Junkman
Today, you don't always have to weld something back on. Many parts can now be replaced permanently by using structural body adhesives available at body shop supply stores. This is a 2 part epoxy adhesive that holds as well as welding. Only down side, is that once it is glued on, it can't be removed without destroying it.
I know thats an approved repair procedure for new cars,but i would not,i guess i'm old school.Nick
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Junkman

There's absolutely no way a glued repair would be acceptable for the upper windshield frame in this case. The only way to correctly repair it is to weld it. This isn't a body panel

I think the header panel that srs1A is referring to is the header panel on the convertible frame header bow. I don't think they reproduce the upper windshield frame yet for a convertible

Last edited by allyolds68; April 16th, 2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:04 PM

I think Mike may have it right....that's part of the windshield frame and possibly not repro'd. BUT.....

Check vendors for Chevy parts. See if this piece has been repro'd for Chevelle convertibles of the same vintage. It would be the same piece.

Probably not the easiest piece to just cut new metal and weld in as a replacement as it's a curved piece and it would take some serious shaping to make it right. Remember, this is what the front part of the convertible top frame rests on and you want to get it as close to original as possible, shape/contour-wise to get a good mating surface and seal up front.