Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

How do you line up radiator support on 71 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2017, 04:29 PM

How do you line up radiator support on 71 Cutlass

I recently bought a 71 Cutlass Supreme that had minor frontend damage. I needed to replace the one front fender and the front bumper. In doing the repair I noticed I needed to replace the radiator core support bushings because they were rotted away and the bolts broke off when removing them. Can someone tell me how to align the radiator core support.

A friend mentioned that I needed to measure diagonally from the top fender mounting bolt that goes into the main body to the radiator core support which I have done but now the bumper does not have enough adjustment to center it to the grill.

I am wondering if measuring from the top fender bolt diagonally to the radiator core support is the proper procedure to align in the front end.

Thanks for the help.

Dave
Old February 27th, 2017, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Double D
A friend mentioned that I needed to measure diagonally from the top fender mounting bolt that goes into the main body to the radiator core support which I have done but now the bumper does not have enough adjustment to center it to the grill.
Diagonal measurements are always a good plan for ensuring squareness. I'd also suggest leaving the core support mount bolts loose, install and shim the fenders and hood, then tighten the core support. Don't be afraid to use shims as needed at any joint to get proper alignment.
Old February 27th, 2017, 03:30 PM

Okay, so are the top fender mounting bolts an accurate place to measure from, are the located exactly at the same location on both sides of the main body?