Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Buy new bumper or rechrome.

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2016, 06:02 AM

Buy new bumper or rechrome.

I have a 1972 cutlass.
The rear bumper is not bad just fading.
I've polished it and it looks OK, but it has that sort of light black background fade to it that I can't get out.
So I was thinking about buying a new one, I see on Ebay for about $322.00 shipped. Or rechrome my old one for about the same money.
I was told the new ones are not as heavy.
Just want to get some thoughts from you guys.
Or is there some super good chrome polish out there for this.
Thanks, Barb.

Last edited by rmoths; August 9th, 2016 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Add new thought.
Old August 9th, 2016, 06:20 AM

Always much better to rechrome a good, original core, which it sounds like the bumper you have is. No repro is as good as an original. The reason the repro is not as heavy is because the metal is thinner, which is a strike against it. Definitely rechrome, especially if the money is the same. Keeps the car more original, too.
Old August 9th, 2016, 06:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Definitely rechrome, especially if the money is the same. Keeps the car more original, too.
I agree, except that the money isn't the same. The Chinesium repros can be had for $300 or so. A quality rechrome will be more than twice that, depending on how much prep work needs to be done to the original prior to plating.
Old August 9th, 2016, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
except that the money isn't the same.
Hey, I'm just going on what she said. Maybe she's got a brother-in-law in the business who's cutting her a deal.

In any event, I agree. A rechrome is always preferred, even at twice the price of a reproduction piece.
Old August 9th, 2016, 10:48 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

If you can rechrome your core and stay in the $300s - that's the way to go. Please post information on the plating company if you go the rechrome route. My plater (Tri Cities in East TN) wants $665 to replate my core.
Old August 9th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Randy C.

$665 isn't out of line. It cost me $700/each to get the bumpers prepped and re-chromed in quality fashion in Seattle. And that was in the 2006-7 time frame.

Randy C.
Old August 9th, 2016, 11:11 AM

Some of the latest show-quality chrome quotes I have seen are $900 and up, per bumper. Makes you think even harder about the repros.
Old August 11th, 2016, 05:27 AM

Thanks,That price for rechroming came from a "I know it all friend" If it would cost around $700.00 or so to rechrome I think I'll get the triple plated new bumper for $322.00 and keep the old one on hand.
Nice to have that extra bumper.
Thanks again, This IS the place to go for information.
Barb.
Old August 11th, 2016, 05:31 AM

I agree with the others that rechroming is the way to go. I spent about $700 a piece when I had the front and rear bumpers on my 71 98 rechromed (and they were in good shape).

FWIW, I've heard there can be fitment issues with the reproduction bumpers. If that is the path you choose make sure you ask the folks on our site about the best reproduction to purchase.
Old August 11th, 2016, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by rmoths
Thanks,That price for rechroming came from a "I know it all friend" If it would cost around $700.00 or so to rechrome I think I'll get the triple plated new bumper for $322.00 and keep the old one on hand.
Nice to have that extra bumper.
Thanks again, This IS the place to go for information.
Barb.
X2, I would go for this route if your car is not show quality and on a budget. There are guys out there who are **** about originality but at least you know that bumper is going to fit without any problems. But not all repros bumper are bad. I have front and rear repros on my car that fits like a glove.
Old August 11th, 2016, 08:00 AM

costs

A friend here in Alberta just had the front & rear bumpers rechromed for his 1969 442 convertible. Rust free straight original cores were provided. It was $900 Canadian per bumper. That is $685 US per bumper.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:55 PM

I used the Tamraz bumpers and the fit and finish was awesome!
Old August 13th, 2016, 03:05 AM

I bought a repro because my cutlass original was bent severely and had some rust through. Look around, because while all repro's are Chinese stampings, some places triple plate them in US. That is what I bought and chrome was excellent. I Paid more like $420 for US plated versus $320. It is slightly thinner, but hard to tell and fit very well.

Before you buy repro, you can still shop around for re chrome. I recently paid $380 in 2014 (and dropped off and picked up myself to save shipping) for a re chrome of my chevelle bumper. Price reflects minimal prep work required. I.e. if you had dents that needed fixing or pitting that they need to do heavy copper step and a lot of buffing and more copper to smooth out before the nickel and chrome step, it adds labor. Mine was perfect from a southern car and just faded. He said it was "easy" - strip, lightly buff and replate. I used sandys bumper mart in Syracuse NY.

Sounds like your bumper is similar good shape as a starting point. At least it's worth calling a few places for quotes.

Last edited by oldsconv; August 13th, 2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old August 13th, 2016, 06:58 AM

OK! I'll check it out, re chrome and new.
Stevec said Tamraz is good, I saw they have triple plate for $322.00 on Ebay" free shipping."
Thanks again. Barb.
Old August 13th, 2016, 08:27 AM

Not sure where in WI you are, but I came across Northstar Plating in Brainerd, MN's work reviewed very favorably on other forums (they've had some association with Keystone Industries I believe). They have a shop in St. Cloud as well where you can drop off/pick up and save shipping if that's closer to you than their Brainerd plant. Their website has just been revised to include pricing and more info promoting their restoration plating services - just two months ago I had to call for this info as it wasn't available online. http://northstarplating.com/ Their pricing book shows $549 for 67 - 72 front or rear bumpers.

I haven't done mine yet but Northstar is where I'll be taking them.
Old August 15th, 2016, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Partagas
Not sure where in WI you are, but I came across Northstar Plating in Brainerd, MN's work reviewed very favorably on other forums (they've had some association with Keystone Industries I believe).
It's surprising that you mention the plating facilities in Brainerd, MN. When I sent my bumpers to Goodmark to be rechromed that is where it was done. The new chrome is excellent, but the customer service of Goodmark was lacking.
Old August 16th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I was quoted around $1600 plus shipping from 2 different companies. My bumpers were straight, no dents no peeling chrome just wanted a show finish. ended up US plated from Tamraz. Really happy with the quality.