Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

73-77 Cutlass S outer windowfelt swap

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2016, 10:31 AM

73-77 Cutlass S outer windowfelt swap

So, i have ahead of me the reality of all door seals being pretty much shot, so i need to change them all. I quickly googled, and didnt find any writings about swapping them, so i thought i might aswell take pictures while i swap them, and then write it down here, so if someone later is figuring how to do it, he has some help. Sorry if the post is heavy to open.
Im not first time working with cars, and ive always loved interior jobs, so this is "fun" ( yeah, sure).

Also, what you see in ground, is not snow, its called early summer

Ill make three separate topics, one is this, one from door-body to car-body, and last from door-glass to car-body.
Others will be walking in the park, this one is By far the hardest to do because all the disassembling you have to do for it.

This part is about changing outer windowfelts, which seals glass to door body.
Tools i use, nothing special, most special tools involved here are rubber-mallet and fiberglass chisels. I like fiberglass over plastic since theyre a bit harder, yet wont still ruin your paint.

According to crimsoncolby, it might be possible to gain Access to middle-screw without lifting the window from window-lifter, but i had no luck trying that- you can try it still if you want, you might get glass down enough.

Edit 2: I suddenly found myself from site where they changed windowfelts to same-age Chevelle. Seems like that taking the lower stopper completetely off you can get window down enough without taking it off from lifter

Also, take some sanding paper and rust-stop paint, for sure you are going to scratch paint somewhere no matter how careful you try to be, and you might see some spots which have "flash-rust", sand them out and paint with rust-stop.
Heavy lubricant is also mandatory, dont fool yourself you are going to tear door down never anymore if something wont break. Now is the time to lube all joints etc from door-glass lifter and door-handle mechanism. Also its good idea to wipe all grime out too. Lets proceed.

As i figured, you need to remove door-skin and do something with the door-glass so you gain Access to middle philips-head screw which is holding the windowfelt in Place. You see the screw im talking about on first picture, there it is, behind the door-glass!

This is first picture. I have no pics about taking door-skin out, but its anyways pretty easy, you see 4 screws, then theres two behind pull-strap caps. And on lower part of door there are plastic tabs behind door skin, where you need special interior fork, or then improvise. Same goes for window-crank, special tool or just two small flat screwdriver heads will do the job. Then you just pull the lower part of door-skin towards center of car, and it comes out easily. The upper part lifts from door when you crank window all the way down, and then pull the upper part upwards. It might sit there pretty hard as mine did, but just careful prying, and when you realise it wont help, brute force, and off it comes. Then theres holding-plate behind doorskin for mirror-control, just turn it 90 degrees to one side and you get it off. And some brown paper.

Next i loosened these two bolts which guides the glass from upper part. You can do little paint-markings as i did to help getting the door-glass later near the correct position. Tho those bolts have already left visible-enough marks to door to see where they were.

This picture is from front and part of glass. Theres one more glass-guide, unscrew it and take it off

Then i took these two nuts off. They hold the door-glass to door-glass lifter.
At this point i was unsure what i do next, do i lift the glass out, or lay it on bottom of door, i tried the later, and it worked. Now get someone to hold the glass while you push door glass towards the doors outer skin to get it out of lifter. I did lift the glass to halfway, giving the shape of glass, at this position you have smallest change to scrath your glass to lifter-mechanism.
Now just lay the glass cafefully down past the lifter mechanism. Again helps if you have somebody to help.

These two nuts hold the limiter on Place which defines how low the glass will go when you crank it down. By loosening these two bolts and pushing the limiter as far down as it goes, the door glass did just By zero-marginal go down enough that i gained Access to middle-screw holding windowfelt at Place.

I didnt take any picture about those three screws holding the windowfelt at Place, but so you know you have to get the doorglass out of the way to gain Access to middle-one. Then there is that beauty-list at very front of door. One screw holds it. Take it off. Now just use brute force and lift the windowfelt off.

Rest is easy. Play the position of new windowfelt close to correct before assembling so you dont need to hammer it sideways on Groove so much. I had to tap it towards front of the door approx half-an-inch to get it sit properly. I also tapped it down gently with rubber-mallet shown in picture, didnt bent or break anything.
Important: Dont do this like you do your wife; instead get it really wet and slippery before assembling, makes it much easier.

Here you are, new windowfelts in Place. To assemble everything back, just do vice-versa. Remember to spend some time to adjust the glass.

BUT - before you install door-skin back, you want to change the lower seal which seals door-body to car-body. Ill do it tomorrow.

Hope this helped somebody out there

Last edited by Inline; April 4th, 2016 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old March 30th, 2016, 03:16 PM

Dude...nice tutorial...but, you made too much work for yourself while lowering the glass to reach the outer window felt screws. No need to loosen all those nuts/bolts on window tracks. All you need to do is loosen the lower glass stop (limiter) bolts and roll the window down as far as it will go. It will lower just enough to access those middle screws. Done it many times...
Old March 30th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Hookers under Hood

X2 Awesome tutorial, I had to show my wife the part about "don't just jam it in without some fines-sing haha.
I have never pulled my window sweeps off my 76, but with a tutorial on the CO board now , ill be sure to remember this great post.
Thank-you inline Put-r-ther !!
Cheers
Eric OHhhh & Christine haha !!!!
Old March 30th, 2016, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by crimsoncolby
Dude...nice tutorial...but, you made too much work for yourself while lowering the glass to reach the outer window felt screws. No need to loosen all those nuts/bolts on window tracks. All you need to do is loosen the lower glass stop (limiter) bolts and roll the window down as far as it will go. It will lower just enough to access those middle screws. Done it many times...
Oh crap Well, i know next time which is hopefully never I edited that to my post

Last edited by Inline; March 30th, 2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old April 1st, 2016, 05:40 AM

Revised edition, managed to cut one corner making the job shorter.

I also tried what crimsoncolby told.
I had no luck getting the door-glass down enough when it was on lifter, i had to take it off from it.
Maybe you managed to do it, but i didnt, so i stay behind my words.

Last edited by Inline; April 1st, 2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old May 1st, 2016, 08:45 PM

Yes, thanks for sharing this information. Very helpful.
Old January 1st, 2017, 03:27 PM

This is awesome a d very helpful. Can you share where you got the sweeps from? I can't seem to.find any replacements anywhere and my driver side one is completely gone.
Old January 1st, 2017, 04:27 PM
Hookers under Hood

Hello Pilau, Inline did an awesome job with his detailed step by step widow sweep install.
When you get a chance post what year of Oldsmobile you own along with a picture of your car and tell us more about it .
Hope to hear from you in the NEWBIE section soon.
Cheers
Eric
Old January 1st, 2017, 05:20 PM

Assuming you own a '73-'77, you can find the outer window sweeps at The Parts Place (pt# WS7109Z @ $169/pr). Might be able to find them elsewhere if you search under '73-'77 Chevelle/Malibu. They are the same. Your GM pt# is 9673653. Some vendors are selling repros claiming they fit both Chevelle and El Camino. I haven't confirmed if they are interchangeable with correct fit as GM lists a separate pt # for El Camino...although, the doors are interchangeable (but, not the glass).

Last edited by crimsoncolby; January 1st, 2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by crimsoncolby
Assuming you own a '73-'77, you can find the outer window sweeps at The Parts Place (pt# WS7109Z @ $169/pr). Might be able to find them elsewhere if you search under '73-'77 Chevelle/Malibu. They are the same. Your GM pt# is 9673653. Some vendors are selling repros claiming they fit both Chevelle and El Camino. I haven't confirmed if they are interchangeable with correct fit as GM lists a separate pt # for El Camino...although, the doors are interchangeable (but, not the glass).
Awesome! Thank you so much!!! That helps tremendously!
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Hello Pilau, Inline did an awesome job with his detailed step by step widow sweep install.
When you get a chance post what year of Oldsmobile you own along with a picture of your car and tell us more about it .
Hope to hear from you in the NEWBIE section soon.
Cheers
Eric
Cool, thanks. I'll check out the newbie section. Mine is a 77 cutlass supreme. It's a huge restoration project with some customization. This is kinda how it looks now. A bit more torn down at the moment. We had some severe rust issues. It's coming out nicely though.
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:49 AM

Dang..looking at that rust....before you dig too far into it I know my biggest regret was taking the thing apart and feeling like I had to replace more metal than keep. I wish I would've started with a solid foundation first. Things to consider before getting in too deep. But it is pretty refreshing to make things clean again...haha
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
Dang..looking at that rust....before you dig too far into it I know my biggest regret was taking the thing apart and feeling like I had to replace more metal than keep. I wish I would've started with a solid foundation first. Things to consider before getting in too deep. But it is pretty refreshing to make things clean again...haha
I hear you. The rust is really bad. I have about half of the rust in the car cut out and replaced with new sheet metal. Thing is here in Hawaii everything rusts out. Unless you bring inna car from the states you'll he repairing a lot of rust. It's also slim pickings over here. Hard to find any classics anymore. I had been searching for a 77 Monte for many years when I found this. I'm glad I did. I ended up calling in love with her. I'll get all the rust cut out and finished up. It helps my family owns a paint and restoration business here. I'll post more pics when all is done.
Old February 7th, 2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
thought I'd show you the after photo of the rust. Came out pretty damn nice if I do say so myself.