Primer Question

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
RDG

Primer Question

My project is a 72 cutlass supreme holiday sedan (4 dr hardtop) with a 81 paint code (yellow). In doing the repair work I uncovered red primer. I will repaint it with the original color (yellow) paint and it is my understanding that the primer color needs to stay the same to keep the original paint color. Is this true? Thanks!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM

Not really red primer is a base primer. Gray is what they call a finish primer. You start out with red sand it. Repeat until you get an uniform coat being smooth no scratches. Than go to gray spray it. Than sand every coat go to lighter grit sand paper starting with 280 grit until you get to around 2000 grit and it is smooth to the touch. Clean all dust off between coats. Take an tact cloth after sanding the last time to clean last remaining dust. Than your ready for paint.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:35 AM
RDG

Ok, THANKS!! I guess I was doing something right but didn't know it. When I went down to metal and fixed an area I would grind down all the rust or cut it out and then I was priming the patched area with Ruddy Red Rustoleum. As you can tell this is my first car restore. I have done mostly farm equipment and in that process I use a Red Oxide primer for the bare metal and gray after that. I just didn't realize I was doing it right!! Is the Red Base primer a Red Oxide or something else?
I'm starting to sand the old paint which is actually in really good condition except for a little fading. I'm using a 180 for that process and then I will prime over and sand and prime as you explained - am I on the right track. Sure appreciate your advice. Thanks

Richard
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM

Sounds like your on the right track.