headlight assembly olds 83 custom cruiser

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2016, 07:41 PM
Gearhead in training

headlight assembly olds 83 custom cruiser

Ive got pretty much every nook and cranny of this car done up except these headlights and front bumper fillers. If anyone had any extra on hand or knew where to find something like this besides at the graveyard please let me know as ive been searching up and down to no avail.
I am trying to post a picture of this also and it says i am missing a security token...? Any help?

Last edited by Northern Custom Cruiser; February 2nd, 2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:24 PM

The security token thing could mean that your image files are too large.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Custom Cruiser
If anyone had any extra on hand or knew where to find something like this besides at the graveyard
There is no place besides the graveyard/junkyard/boneyard/your local auto salvage operation. No one makes reproduction body and trim parts for 1983 Custom Cruisers or for any full-size Olds.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 09:29 PM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by jaunty75
There is no place besides the graveyard/junkyard/boneyard/your local auto salvage operation. No one makes reproduction body and trim parts for 1983 Custom Cruisers or for any full-size Olds.
Well i figured as much, i just thought there could be a chance of someone who might have picked up a few over the years. No harm in asking right?
Old February 2nd, 2016, 09:32 PM
Gearhead in training

Would you have any ideas on what i could use to make it look better than duct tape? I mean there has got to be something they make for this sort of thing
Old February 3rd, 2016, 04:20 AM
Oldsdruid

The key with these cars is to remember they are Delta 88s which is the GM B-body. Except for the front fenders themselves, any front end sheetmetal or trim from a same or similar (80-84) year Delta or Ninety Eight will fit.

From the cowl and windshield back they are identical to the other same or similar year GM B-body wagons and all body parts and glass (and some trim) from one will work on the others. Chevy Caprice Estate, Pontiac Safari, Buick Estate Wagon.

Front bumper fillers toward bottom of page... http://sandkindustries.com/84OLDS98.HTML

Go to bottom of this page and you'll find the rear wagon fillers http://sandkindustries.com/CHEV.HTML

and by comparison here for Buick. http://sandkindustries.com/84ELECT.HTML

You see they are the same. DK why they don't list these for CC and Safari wagons.

There are other sources too, this was first one that popped up on google search.

You need actual headlight trim pieces or just the fillers below them?

Same with door weather-stripping. You may not find it listed for Custom Cruiser, but look for Caprice Estate wagon and you'll find your door rubbers.

Last edited by rocketraider; February 3rd, 2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 05:37 AM
Gearhead in training

Heres what I've got and what I'm missing
Attached Images
Old February 3rd, 2016, 06:19 AM
Oldsdruid

You may have to settle for painted fillers but I think they were just painted brown on woodgrain cars. Junkyard fillers will probably be as bad as what you don't have, because after many years the rubber dries out and breaks apart. Repops are usually fiberglass or ABS plastic.

Does your wagon have cornering lamps? Clear part of the side lens will light up with turn signals if it does.

Get all that duct tape off and clean the side marker lenses with naphtha (lighter fluid) and then polish the remaining residue off. Either a cleaner-wax or a specific plastic polish will do it. Then find out if the mounting post on the backplate of the lens has snapped or has just come loose. You should be able to use some clear RTV sealant to hold the side lens on. I've had one held on that way on my 83 for a while.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 07:59 AM
Olds Fever

Well, I'm no salvage operation but I do have 6 sets of NOS Custom Cruiser Head Light Bezels...

Heres what I've got and what I'm missing
Are you looking for NOS or used? Not sure I have any more used but I do have six sets of NOS Bezels available... I sell them for $150 a set plus shipping... I do not use PayPal and ship US only... If you are interested, email me direct: DIEHARDOLDS@NYCAP.RR.COM
Attached Images
Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Well, I'm no salvage operation but I do have 6 sets of NOS Custom Cruiser Head Light Bezels
Nor are you a manufacturer of them. That was my point. I didn't say used parts aren't out there. What I said is that no one reproduces these in the aftermarket, and that if the OP needs them, he'll need to check with junkyards. Obviously people such as yourself might have them as well for whatever reason, but my point still stands.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 09:54 AM
Olds Fever

Just as a point of interest, the head light bezels are slightly different for the Custom Cruiser versus the 88's & 98's... They will all interchange, but I am told that there is a material thickness difference where the bezels meet the fenders, which may not be an issue for most people... The GM part numbers are also different, which in itself does not affect the interchangeability... Custom Cruiser Bezels are PN's 22520942 & 22520943 and all other 88's & 98's are 22520944 & 22520945...
Old February 3rd, 2016, 09:55 AM

the head light bezels are slightly different for the Custom Cruiser versus the 88's & 98's... ... Custom Cruiser Bezels are PN's 22520942 & 22520943 and all other 88's & 98's are 22520944 & 22520945...
Very interesting! I wonder why Olds did that.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 09:59 AM
Olds Fever

Very interesting! I wonder why Olds did that.
I can only think it was because of a slight difference in the front fenders themselves, since the fenders were not the 88/98 design...
Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:00 AM

Interesting. So why were the fenders different?
Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:13 AM
Oldsdruid

The corporate wagon body and front doors was set up for Caprice Estate body lines. The other three Divisions all had to adapt their front fenders to it someway.

Olds and pretty sure Pontiac had wagon-only stampings. Some years Buick had a tacked-on trim piece between fenders and side mirror to adapt their Electra/LeSabre fenders to the wagon body. I think their later B/C fenders had styling reveal lines incorporated to match the wagon body.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 01:02 PM
Olds Wagonmaster

I got lucky a couple years back and salvaged as many parts from a blue 84 Custom Cruiser as I could in New Orleans. You just don't see too many of them these days.... anywhere.

You're gonna have to get crafty and learn to be on the lookout of Delta 88's for certain parts and even 98's. There might be things you can scrounge off of Caprices and Impalas and Parrisiennes and Buick Estate wagons as well.

If I can't find it at a junkyard, eBay is often my best shot.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 02:18 PM
Gearhead in training

Yeah i noticed the delta 88s are pretty similar to the custom cruiser and actually almost bought a set of doors off of one. I think im going to check out craigslist here along with ebay and see what i can scrounge up. Theres nothing in these junkyards around here worth any value, all the custom cruisers get sent off to the derby i hear anyways, how many miles does your custom cruiser have arrowstorm? And your vista?
Old February 4th, 2016, 05:12 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

Yeah i noticed the delta 88s are pretty similar to the custom cruiser and actually almost bought a set of doors off of one. I think im going to check out craigslist here along with ebay and see what i can scrounge up. Theres nothing in these junkyards around here worth any value, all the custom cruisers get sent off to the derby i hear anyways, how many miles does your custom cruiser have arrowstorm? And your vista?
I'd have to look. I don't really know or pay attention. I just drive them and make repairs when necessary. My Custom Cruiser is out of commission at the moment because I've been putting off an intake manifold gasket replacement. The last reading I remember on the CC is 35K with one turnover for certain. The last reading I remember on the VC is 50K with at LEAST a turnover, but we rebuilt that engine 2 years ago.

When both wagons are operational, I drive them BOTH on the weekends. I park my daily driver friday afternoon and don't start it up until Monday morning.

Not all Delta 88's are going to have parts for your custom cruiser. I think the doors and the front fenders are a different size than the wagons. Also, although the Custom Cruiser branched off to it's own line until 1992, the body style of a Delta 88 changed in 86 to a smaller GM body. So Custom Cruisers from 78-90 and Delta 88's from about 78-85 are what you need to keep an eye out for.

Last edited by Arrowstorm; February 4th, 2016 at 05:28 AM.
Old February 4th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by Arrowstorm
I'd have to look. I don't really know or pay attention. I just drive them and make repairs when necessary. My Custom Cruiser is out of commission at the moment because I've been putting off an intake manifold gasket replacement. The last reading I remember on the CC is 35K with one turnover for certain. The last reading I remember on the VC is 50K with at LEAST a turnover, but we rebuilt that engine 2 years ago.

When both wagons are operational, I drive them BOTH on the weekends. I park my daily driver friday afternoon and don't start it up until Monday morning.

Not all Delta 88's are going to have parts for your custom cruiser. I think the doors and the front fenders are a different size than the wagons. Also, although the Custom Cruiser branched off to it's own line until 1992, the body style of a Delta 88 changed in 86 to a smaller GM body. So Custom Cruisers from 78-90 and Delta 88's from about 78-85 are what you need to keep an eye out for.
Thank you very much for the info, ive been dying to get a vista cruiser in any condition, the more beat up it is the more room it leaves to make it mine personally. Although they seem tom bee quite rare as i cant find any around me whatsoever. I bought my CC from a man selling it for an 88 year old lady living in the middle of no where and he had it listed with 130k miles but once i hopped in and felt how incredibly tight the steering was and the the condition of the dash and such, i decided to check the title. She signed it over to him almost a year ago and it showed 22,000 miles! I know theres a possibility the license people may have not checked and someone lied but theres not a single crack in the dash or anything. Is there any way to check its true mileage or at least get an idea of if its turned over yet?
Old February 4th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

It could be that they have to put what the odometer reads on the title.

As far as I know, there's no other way to tell if the odometer has turned over other than looking at the condition of the engine. (Maybe).

"the more beat up it is the more room it leaves to make it mine personally"

Lol. You might be signing a different tune when you discover how much harder it is to get parts for a Vista than a Custom Cruiser.
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Gearhead in training

It could be that they have to put what the odometer reads on the title.

As far as I know, there's no other way to tell if the odometer has turned over other than looking at the condition of the engine. (Maybe).

"the more beat up it is the more room it leaves to make it mine personally"

Lol. You might be signing a different tune when you discover how much harder it is to get parts for a Vista than a Custom Cruiser.
Ive got a feeling you might be right about the vista and thats if i can ever get my hands on one, they dont seem to be in an abundance. It makes me wonder why such beautiful cars are so hard to find and why theyve been replaced by these pop cans with motors. Todays cars are nothing in comparison and i wish that the classics were more easy to come by. Im sure my thought is nothing more than an echo made by every other one of you guys out there lol
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:37 AM

Simple ... because in their day, they were cheap and common. Ordinary and average. They're only spectacular today by comparison.
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Gearhead in training

Its terrible that todays comparison is such a disappointment. If they were so cheap to produce back then, then why is is it so difficult to keep them alive? I couldn't stand the thought of sending any of these beauties to the crusher or the derby. Ive only been into the world of oldsmobile for a half a year or so and i cant imagine why someone would think these aluminum foil bumper car space ships were a better idea nomatter what way you look at it. Im simply baffled at what weve traded for the new and shiny technology of today.
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Olds Fever

If your state has a safety inspection requirement, you may be able to get the info from your DMV office... There may be a requirement to record the mileage at the time of inspection...
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Gearhead in training

If your state has a safety inspection requirement, you may be able to get the info from your DMV office... There may be a requirement to record the mileage at the time of inspection...
No safety inspection that i know of here, im located north of Cincinnati ohio. They dont care about the environment here haha
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

Lol I can't wait until my 2002 Monte Carlo is a classic and I wonder what cars will be on the road in 2027. I'll be thinking about the good old days when Chevy made stylish coupes with 3.4L V6 in them and they were relatively not terribly difficult to repair...

Hell, to me, the Monte Carlo is already a motorized computer!

Northern CC, I looked for 2 years for my VC all over the country on ebay and Craigslist and auto sites. Finally found it on Craigslist in a city near New Orleans after I stopped looking for several months. I just happened to find it. And when I saw it, it didn't matter WHAT condition it was in, I was gonna buy it. It just so happened to the the EXACT year I wanted and in "good" condition.

In fact, I have stories to go with both my wagons on how I came across them that seem a bit more than coincidence. As though... I was meant to have them.
Old February 4th, 2016, 12:58 PM

I spent 7 years hunting my CC. Hell, any american full sized wagon would have done. Almost had a Safari 2 years earlier ... but the guy left for Florida and didn't come back. The year I get it .... Joe decides to give away a pair of the damn things for free and can't get rid of them.
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Olds Wagonmaster

There's a 1982 Delta 88 Royale in the Pull a part inventory in New Orleans. I was gonna check it out in the coming weeks to see what's there. I could let you know.

Also, I looked just for the hell of it and there are a couple on eBay right now.
Old February 4th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Gearhead in training

There's a 1982 Delta 88 Royale in the Pull a part inventory in New Orleans. I was gonna check it out in the coming weeks to see what's there. I could let you know.

Also, I looked just for the hell of it and there are a couple on eBay right now.
Ill give it a look now that i know what years and models to search for, and if you were able to get anything off of that delta 88 that you dont already want yourself, ill more than gladly buy it from ya. Ive got some crazy storys with my wagon too. Before i got my CC i had two cadillacs, a 2003 seville and a 1998 deville. I thought the seville was ugly and the deville was better, but was missing something. Anyways they both had the northstar in em and both died on me within a few months of each other. I sold the seville for parts and ive still got the deville but havent touched it in nearly half a year. The same night after the seville died, (which was the only running of the two) i hopped on craigslist and found my first CC, went out the next night on Saturday to see it, and bought it on Memorial day that monday. That car was dirty as hell, worn out, and rusty but it ran like a new engine. As far as i know it had 67000 miles and the second owner said it hadnt turned over and they used it to move bails of hay for their horses. After that, just a few weeks ago, i sold a small property i had and on that same day i lost power to my break booster or something of that nature because my power breaks went out while i was driving and i ended up rear ending this chevy Malibu. I was able to floor the breaks because they wernt out, just stiff as hell and the front bumper dipped underneath their car and it didnt harm the bumper or the frame it just crushed the radiator, left fender, hood, and all the inner parts up to the fan. That same day i found my current CC, its in mint condition other than the headliner sagging and the front headlight bezels are cracked as well as its missing the front fillers. Its possibly only got 30000 miles and theres not even a crack in the dash. Its been garage kept since 1991 also. Hearing how long you guys have searched for your CC makes me feel alittle more than blessed lol
Old February 5th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Olds Fever

If you are looking for used, here is one on EBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361483963366...witem=&vxp=mtr

If that is optimistically worth a $100 used for one side only and not specific to the Custom Cruiser... NOS price for a pair is a steal (at least IMO)...
Old February 5th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

LOL! That seller is out of his gourd.
Old February 5th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Gearhead in training

I saw that on ebay, why would I pay 100 for a used one when i can get 2 brand new for 150??? I dont think so lol
Old February 11th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-85-OLDSMO...BWkDEc&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-85-OLDSMO...hWkDI1&vxp=mtr

The problem with these is that they're missing the marker lens, which is actually really the part that you need. They're usually all cracked up or the actual lends piece is missing. This is a good price on the actual bezel though!
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Gearhead in training

Mine actually are intact, however the part that actually screws in to secure it is broken. I might just pick these up! Thanks arrowstorm!!!
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

Man, if yours are mainly intact and if it can be done without being noticed, it might be time you learn the benefits of JB weld and a dremel tool!