Best method to clean and degrease an engine on an engine stand?

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Best method to clean and degrease an engine on an engine stand?

I need to clean and degrease a 455 on an engine stand. Are there any tips or tricks to make it easier (other than just dousing the thing in engine degreaser)?
Old December 30th, 2008, 06:58 PM
car guy

I put mineral spirts in a bug/weed sprayer and spray a little at a time keep the mess to a minumim. Lots and lots of spraping tooth brush cleaning to aggitate the mess.

About 3 solid hours cleaning in the block and heads before this pic

Old December 30th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

engine degreaser, and then a pressure washer. Repeat as necessary. A lot more mess than Gearheads78's method, however. Done in under an hour. Not advisable in temperatures below 33 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:19 PM
MDC

Get the cheapest oven cleaner you can find. Spray it down and let sit for an hour or so, then go to it with scrub brushes. Add cleaner as needed and you'll be able to tell when it is all broken loose, then hose it down.
Be sure to put a piece of cardboard under the stand as you spray and scrub and wear rubber gloves.
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:26 AM
Past Administrator

X2 on oven cleaner. But be careful, it is very caustic and will burn your skin.
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Registered Luser

I personally use a product called GREASED LIGHTENING. I know home depot sells it for about $7 a gallon. Way cheaper than engine degreaser. Put it in a spray bottle, spray it on and let it soak a little spray more, scrub rinse. Have fun! Have a beer!
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM

I use a cheap degreaser lay down a large cheap plastic painter's tarp under the engine the clean. After the cleaning is complete I gather up the platic tarp and put it in a plastic garbage bag and of to the dump it goes
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM

I just used engine bright when I cleaned my motor, I think I went through about 2 1/2 to 3 cans of that stuff. I just let it soak for about 10 minutes and then I scraped all of the goop off. I thought it worked great and then I just sprayed the motor with a pressure washer when I was done.
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM

If you are going to have the engine rebuilt it really isn't necessary to degrease it extensively. I took a short block to my machinist and the only parts I "degreased" were the valve covers, heads, oil pan, intake, and brackets. These were all removed from the engine though. Once the machinist gets it he will hot tank it and that will destroy the grease instantly.
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM

I used a combo of engine degreaser and disc brake cleaner, and the hose. All in the bed of a rental F-150
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM

I also like to use cheap degreaser, and brake cleaner(cheap as well). First i scrape the heavy crud off then let the degreaser work and hit it with a small brush and a tooth brush, then use the brake cleaner to blast out the tight spots rinse it off and your good to go. Oh and I use a plastic storage box that I stole off the wife to catch the drips.
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I assume you are prepping it for paint? All of the degreasers listed above, brake cleaner, oven cleaner, paint solvents, lacquer thinner, paint prep solvent cleaner, etc. will do the job. Multiple cleaners is the way to go because different ones work better on different contaminants. Just start with your strongest solvent based cleaner first & finish the job with a water based cleaner & preferably a pressure washer. If you use several cleaners in succession, it can be done fairly quickly & without all the toothbrush scrubbing. If you have just assembled the engine, you shouldn't have major gunk, only a bit of oil, assembly lube & hand prints. One thing is certain, it will never be too clean for painting.
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Whatever you use. Use it in a well ventilated area. Most of it is no good for you.