Passenger side 455 motor mount problem

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2015, 01:10 PM

Passenger side 455 motor mount problem

I went to drop in my engine today. The drivers side bolt goes through. The passenger side will NOT. I'm using 455 motor mounts and 455 chassis bump outs. is there some trick with the 455 mounts? I noticed that the passenger side has a slot instead of holes for the top bump out holes. But then the bottom bolt for the bump out won't go through. I THINK that the main bolt will go through if I take out the bottom bolt and slip the bump out up.

Last edited by CuttyShark; August 2nd, 2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by CuttyShark
I went to drop in my engine today. The drivers side bolt goes through. The passenger side will NOT. I'm using 455 motor mounts and 455 chassis bump outs. is there some trick with the 455 mounts? I noticed that the passenger side has a slot instead of holes for the top bump out holes. But then the bottom bolt for the bump out won't go through. I THINK that the main bolt will go through if I take out the bottom bolt and slip the bump out up.
Went through the same issue when changed mine.
The best solution is probably to enlarge the holes in the rubbermounts, another is to loosen the bolts attaching the mounts to the block, insert the bolts through the frame mounts and then torque the block bolts.
I did the later, and the engine is not 100% level so probably going to enlarge the holes in the mounts.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 01:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Your first problem is that you dropped the motor all the way down before installing the bolts. Pick it up with the hoist until the holes line up, insert the bolt, THEN release the hoist. If you still have alignment problems, loosen the bolts that hold the motor mount to the block, insert the bolt, then tighten everything. This is not unusual and does not require elongating holes or grinding anything.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 02:13 PM

I did it just that way Joe, but those chinesium mounts they sell today just dont fit. In my case some hole modifications must be made to get the engine level. As for today it seems to be only 2 suppliers of mounts, anchor and pioneer, both china made.
At first I thought I had got the wrong mounts but after double checking in your fantastic write up I know they are the right mounts, but still, they're off.
/Anders
Old August 2nd, 2015, 03:14 PM

Pointed long all will help align to mount.I do this often when installing engines.Sometimes i even tap the all a little with a hammer to engage it enough to start the bolt.The proper name is Pointed drift punch.Thought i would edit in case some wise guy asked the question what's a all. The one i have is around a foot long and the point is small about a 1/8 inch.I have even use two one on each end to get the holes to line up.Hope this helps

Last edited by wr1970; August 2nd, 2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 04:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wr1970
Pointed long all will help align to mount.I do this often when installing engines.Sometimes i even tap the all a little with a hammer to engage it enough to start the bolt.The proper name is Pointed drift punch.Thought i would edit in case some wise guy asked the question what's a all. The one i have is around a foot long and the point is small about a 1/8 inch.I have even use two one on each end to get the holes to line up.Hope this helps
Actually, Sears calls it an alignment punch. I've had one for decades. You're correct, it will quickly pull holes like that into alignment. Leaving the bolts to the block loose will help a lot. I usually put the punch in from one side and lever it around so I can get the bolt in the other side, then tap the bolt into place, pushing the punch out.

Old August 2nd, 2015, 04:52 PM

Like minds think alike.I to have used the mount bolt to remove the alignment punch.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 08:24 PM

Aha! Thanks guys. I will try putting the mount ON the bump out THEN lowering the engine under the mount. I had not thought of that! I will try it tomorrow. Installed the engine, and tranny today. still have the lift plate on the manifold so I can raise it up a little enough to get the mount bolt on and then lower it back down.

Sadly, I discovered the headers I bought were NOT for a BBO, about an inch and half too short and won't reach the front exhaust ports. DOH!
Old August 2nd, 2015, 09:50 PM

Make sure you post back if you get the mount bolt in.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:56 PM

455 mounts

I had the exact same problem and posted it on this forum. It was suggested that I loosen the bolts that fasten the motor mounts to the block, I did, and it fell right into place. I then re-torqued the bolts to the block and everything is good. You can see it in this thread. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...correctly.html
Old August 4th, 2015, 01:56 PM

DONE!!

Old August 4th, 2015, 02:13 PM

Saaaa weeeettt.
Old August 4th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CuttyShark
DONE!!

Hanging the car from the ceiling is one way to get things to line up...

Care to elaborate on how you really did it?