March Serpentine setup

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2015, 07:17 AM

March Serpentine setup

Hi guys, I hope everyone is doing well!
I am in a pickle with my March setup, those of you that have seen my build thread over in major projects have probably seen a picture of the mock up of the March setup. What I have run into is that before more modifications of the engine I did have a slight heat issue. As long as I was driving the car no problems but if it idled for a while it would hit 215-220 or slightly more and take forever to cool back down even at highway speeds. I added a fan shroud, changed thermostats added water wetter etc but no real resolution. During the tear down to make some added modifications I picked up a Flowkooler high volume pump and found out that the dual 12" elec fans I was running were only about 1250 cfm each at best so I also changed those to a 2300 cfm each.
Assuming those changes should fix the issue I felt comfortable about it, now the March setup is based upon using a 5.1 or shorty water pump, my Flowcooler is the long 5.9-6.0 inch. I can either modify the water pump pulley and a idler bracket or find a high flow water pump in chrome or polished that is the short style, I cannot seem to find a chrome or polished short version in a high flow, and I really don't want to take the time to polish one, I can modify the pulley and bracket to work faster than I can polish a pump. Any suggestions or ideas?
Old January 29th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Administrator

I'd go for the pulley and bracket mods.
Old January 29th, 2015, 08:34 AM

Flowcooler makes the correct height water pump. It's part #1575 which is 5 1/8 inches which equals 5.125.

If I remember correctly didn't you swap a 455 into your 64? Did you also swap the radiator?
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:26 AM

Well if your WP pulley is for a 5.1 pump and you only have a 6.1 pump then you would have to move all the other pulleys out ONE INCH to meet the WP pulley on a 6.1" pump. That seems extreme to me.

Look into the #1575 pump as set forth above.

Did you have issues with the March system fitment and fasteners? I am STILL having issues with the one I am using, this is like 6 months after starting on that project. What a nightmare. Almost every fastener the wrong length, sometimes with disastrous consequences. Poor quality zinc plated fasteners, yet $$$ kit cost.
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Flowcooler makes the correct height water pump. It's part #1575 which is 5 1/8 inches which equals 5.125.

If I remember correctly didn't you swap a 455 into your 64? Did you also swap the radiator?

It is a 455/468 the car is a 65, I am running a champion aluminum radiator wirh dual 12" elec fans, The Flowkooler pump you mentioned is an Iron pump, and me being picky I was looking for a polished aluminum or chrome high flow pump
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Well if your WP pulley is for a 5.1 pump and you only have a 6.1 pump then you would have to move all the other pulleys out ONE INCH to meet the WP pulley on a 6.1" pump. That seems extreme to me.

Look into the #1575 pump as set forth above.

Did you have issues with the March system fitment and fasteners? I am STILL having issues with the one I am using, this is like 6 months after starting on that project. What a nightmare. Almost every fastener the wrong length, sometimes with disastrous consequences. Poor quality zinc plated fasteners, yet $$$ kit cost.

I haven't had much issue with the fasteners so far but I will replace all of mine with polished stainless.

As far as spacing everything out I am going the opposite if I do it, just cut the mount face off of the water pump pulley, band it, weld it, smooth it back up and re clear coat it, so I would be moving the belt surface back to the correct area that it would have been in on the 5.1 pump, it can be done and clear fine
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:48 AM

March sells a chrome pump if you want to go that route. Right on their web site.

Octania if you were asking me about the March set up everything that was wrong I managed to work around and make right. My only concern now is how it will fit in the narrower 66 chassis. My concern is power steering pump pulley to steering box clearance. I think I've figured out a way to check it but haven't done so yet.
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:49 AM

March sells a chrome pump if you want to go that route. Right on their web site.

Octania if you were asking me about the March set up everything that was wrong I managed to work around and make right. My only concern now is how it will fit in the narrower 66 chassis. My concern is power steering pump pulley to steering box clearance. I think I've figured out a way to check it but haven't done so yet.

you are correct its made by TUFF STUFF but it is not a high flow, and I really want my heat issue cured, all good advice guys, now you see why I say I am in a bit of a pickle....lol
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Just a heads up on the March coating on the parts. It's a clear powder coat that nicks and scratches real easy. Just be careful with it. Every little dent will show up.
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:52 AM

Just a heads up on the March coating on the parts. It's a clear powder coat that nicks and scratches real easy. Just be careful with it. Every little dent will show up.

you are 100% correct, I have never seen powder coat so soft, I may strip it all and re powder the clear, it is a poor quality at best
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:56 AM

Another option but maybe not to your liking. You'll have to decide. Just paint it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Water Pump 1.JPG (154.1 KB, 60 views)
Water Pump.JPG (149.8 KB, 64 views)
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:58 AM

ohhhh the extra work I create by being overly picky..... LOL
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:05 AM

More pics:
Attached Images
DSC00891.JPG (137.8 KB, 112 views)
DSC00893.JPG (150.7 KB, 108 views)
DSC00894.JPG (154.0 KB, 93 views)
DSC00899.JPG (139.3 KB, 94 views)
DSC00851.JPG (148.7 KB, 90 views)
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:11 AM

More pics:

That looks great
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:14 AM

Probably easier if you just browse this thread, lol.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...61398-496.html
Old January 29th, 2015, 06:43 PM

Howdy!Just reading up on the recent posts and came across this one.I’m kind of concerned about my build.I’m building a 496 that is very similar to yours TripDeuces (I’ve read your whole build post and can’t wait for you to finish it!).The block is a 1974 Olds 455 .60 over. I didn’t know if I needed a 6” water pump or a 5 1/8” pump so I e-mailed March Performance…
“I am considering ordering the March Performance Ultra Style Serpentine Belt Conversion Kit #16065 for my Oldsmobile 455 (without AC). I wanted to know if I need a short (5.125 inch) or long (6.00 inch) water pump?
The answer from March…
“Ultra kits are based on the 6" water pump. “
So, I went out and bought the March 16065 kit and a FlowKooler 1775 6” pump.Now, I’ve been reading all these March Performance posts and I have concerns!
Old January 29th, 2015, 06:51 PM

Take everything said from March with a grain of salt. They are all idiots in my book. I'd read your instructions front to back
Old January 30th, 2015, 04:06 AM

Take everything said from March with a grain of salt. They are all idiots in my book. I'd read your instructions front to back
I agree totally, the two conversations I have had with March employees have been full of incorrect information.
Old January 30th, 2015, 06:37 AM

Just another side note to add to the above statement:
I called March and told them basically what my original statement here was about the water pump. I had told them that I wanted a polished water pump that was a high flow to work with their system OR I needed a pulley that would work with the system I have and a long style pump.
I stressed multiple times that a high flow pump was a necessity. The tech rep from March gave me a part number for a Tuff Stuff pump, he said that's what you need to run, he stated the FlowKooler pump had issues with certain boss placements and they brackets would not work. I asked him if the pump he recommended was a high flow, he replied that it certainly was indeed a high flow.
I Called Tuff Stuff and gave them the part number, and not to my surprise it was not a high flow pump and they did not offer a high flow short style in a polished or chrome finish, as far as I can tell no one does in a high flow.
So my point being this, Just like TripDeuces stated, painting the pump is about the only option, so March has provided a product that seems to be a functional and esthetic improvement over stock, and I would assume that most people forking out the cash to purchase that system value the esthetic enhancement of the system. That being said its no secret that 455's can run a little warm and a high flow pump is important to a lot of end users, so why would they design the system around a pump size that is not available in a polished or chrome option? It seems to me they would design it around components that would match their finish. It would be really simple to produce a water pump pulley to work with the 5.9-6.0 pump.
After mocking everything up again last night we are just going to band the March water pump pulley, weld it re machine it and polish it back out to a satin type finish. It sounds like a lot but it should be pretty easy...Problem solved
I did not see any boss issues with the FlowKooler pump, everything fit nicely! I may have to make some spacers of different length but that's simple!

Last edited by real57vetteguy; January 30th, 2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:08 AM

Their comment about the Flowcooler pump not having the correct bosses is incorrect. I mocked mine up and everything is where it needs to be. What is wrong is the instruction sheet calling for a 5/16th bolt where a 3/8 bolt should be. I also had a missing bushing and a extra part that March said fit on my power steering pump. It doesn't. Did any of you get extra parts or missing pieces in your kits?

I even talked to the president/owner of the company, who's last name is March, and he was equally clueless. If he doesn't know you can bet no one else does. The simple fact is these are made off shore and then shipped back here instructions and all. This is a company that rather than investigate customer concerns just blows sunshine up your skirt.
Old January 31st, 2015, 08:31 AM

Their comment about the Flowcooler pump not having the correct bosses is incorrect. I mocked mine up and everything is where it needs to be. What is wrong is the instruction sheet calling for a 5/16th bolt where a 3/8 bolt should be. I also had a missing bushing and a extra part that March said fit on my power steering pump. It doesn't. Did any of you get extra parts or missing pieces in your kits?

I even talked to the president/owner of the company, who's last name is March, and he was equally clueless. If he doesn't know you can bet no one else does. The simple fact is these are made off shore and then shipped back here instructions and all. This is a company that rather than investigate customer concerns just blows sunshine up your skirt.
I got like 7 extra or wrong parts...
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:18 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Sucks to hear the problems considering the price. They look nice but the style track is the only set up close to a true serpentine set up. I am running billet V belt pulleys. I got rid of the useless, ridiculous overheating causing tiny crank pulley and picked up a slightly under driven crank pulley from March looks like a quality pulley at least.
Old February 1st, 2015, 04:42 AM

I wanted to go with the March setup but was hesitant because of the price,for what they charge that thing should bolt right up!

I went with a set of billit pulleys from ram air restorations and couldn't be happier, maybe someday I'll do a serp setup but it's gotta bolt up with no mods.