olds 455 tornado engine

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2014, 03:16 PM

olds 455 tornado engine

I recently purchased a 1969 390 hp olds tornado engine.I am having it rebuilt to put in my 72 cutlass 442 clone.The engine should be around 475 hp. The oil pan is very nice will it fit my cutlass? Also any ideas on aluminum intake. Not enough height clearance with hood. Mondello has a cut down intake for this application that is pretty nice. One more question. I don't have a posi rear end. Can I change gears in mine to make posi
Old November 7th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by malone-ren-con@att.net
I recently purchased a 1969 390 hp olds tornado engine.I am having it rebuilt to put in my 72 cutlass 442 clone.The engine should be around 475 hp. The oil pan is very nice will it fit my cutlass?
Yes, the Toro pan clears the A-body crossmember.

Also any ideas on aluminum intake. Not enough height clearance with hood. Mondello has a cut down intake for this application that is pretty nice.
I assume you are running an O.A.I. hood?

If so, your only options are the factory intakes or an out-of-production Edelbrock O4B. Everything else is too tall. You can run a Performer if you get one of the cut-down O.A.I. adapters.

One more question. I don't have a posi rear end. Can I change gears in mine to make posi
No, changing the GEARS will not make it a posi. Changing the carrier, however, will. Assuming you have the stock corporate ten-bolt axle, posi carriers are readily available.
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, the Toro pan clears the A-body crossmember.

I assume you are running an O.A.I. hood?

If so, your only options are the factory intakes or an out-of-production Edelbrock O4B. Everything else is too tall. You can run a Performer if you get one of the cut-down O.A.I. adapters.

No, changing the GEARS will not make it a posi. Changing the carrier, however, will. Assuming you have the stock corporate ten-bolt axle, posi carriers are readily available.
All good answers.
Old November 21st, 2014, 02:21 PM

455 engine

[QUOTE=ziff396;761570]All good answers.[/QUOTE
Height problem with the 455 engine I am going to drop in to my 72 cutlass with standard hood. I am going to use a performer manifold. I was told I can use a drop base air cleaner to clear the hood. The engine is a 69 tornado engine. Also I would like to install headers. What would fit? I also need a oil filter housing. The tornado is angled. Would the housing from my 350 fit?
Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Height problem with the 455 engine I am going to drop in to my 72 cutlass with standard hood. I am going to use a performer manifold. I was told I can use a drop base air cleaner to clear the hood. The engine is a 69 tornado engine. Also I would like to install headers. What would fit? I also need a oil filter housing. The tornado is angled. Would the housing from my 350 fit?
Which "stock hood"? The metal hood or the O.A.I. hood? The Performer will clear the metal hood with the stock air cleaner. It will not clear the O.A.I. hood with the stock plastic adapter. The fact that this is a Toro engine is irrelevant - all BBOs are externally the same. Get headers for a 455 in a 72 Cutlass/442. Yes, the oil filter adapter from the 350 will bolt right on, as will the starter.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 11:05 AM

height clearence.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Which "stock hood"? The metal hood or the O.A.I. hood? The Performer will clear the metal hood with the stock air cleaner. It will not clear the O.A.I. hood with the stock plastic adapter. The fact that this is a Toro engine is irrelevant - all BBOs are externally the same. Get headers for a 455 in a 72 Cutlass/442. Yes, the oil filter adapter from the 350 will bolt right on, as will the starter.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 11:06 AM

The intake is a performer air gap. The hood is 72 cutlass hood with the 2 fake louvers.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 11:07 AM

its the steel hood
Old November 22nd, 2014, 11:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

The intake is a performer air gap. The hood is 72 cutlass hood with the 2 fake louvers.
OK, I can't speak to clearance with the air gap. The regular Performer for a BBO is no problem. As a reference, Ebrock shows carb pad height on the Performer as 4.95" and on the air gap as 5.54". As another data point, the Torker has a carb pad height of 5.05" and I know that clears also.