455 exhaust manifold shroud

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2014, 02:18 PM

455 exhaust manifold shroud

Just installed a 455 engine from 68/69 Toronado in my 68 cutlass S, I would like to install an exhaust manifold shroud. What shroud would l need to complete this and is it available in the aftermarket. Some pics below show my existing manifold.

Old August 10th, 2014, 06:52 AM

Does anyone have pics of an exhaust manifold shroud on a Y manifold?
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Old School Olds

Don't recall one for the driver side, (W).
Here is one for a 70 455 with a Z manifold, pass side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
103_4979.jpg (55.1 KB, 65 views)
103_4980.jpg (107.9 KB, 65 views)
Old August 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Don't recall one for the driver side, (W).
Here is one for a 70 455 with a Z manifold, pass side.

Thanks, how does this shroud attach?
Does it just slide over the manifold or is it bolted somehow?
Old August 10th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Old School Olds

The two large holes at the bottom
slide over and 'pop' onto the bottom
of the manifold. There is one bolt hole on top
that bolts to the center manifold using that bolt.
The short one that always seems to break.
Old August 17th, 2014, 04:13 AM

Hi Samman, the '68 exhaust shroud is all by itself. It is being reproduced, Fusick has it. It's a 4 piece set,part #EMS68,I see you already have the correct non a/c snorkel adapter on your air cleaner so the kit is all you'd need. It is pricey though at $299!! The '69 &up pic that Tru-blue 442 sent you won't work with a '68 aircleaner. Starting in '69 they moved the vacuum flapper valve & the heat pipe out almost to the end of the snorkel & it uses a just one pipe that goes from the shroud to the aircleaner. I had some pics of my rh manifold with the original shroud on it after I restored it but I bought a new computer earlier this year & I lost some of the pics when things were transferred over. You could probably use the later setup(it's about $100) but you'd have to get one of those parts store type flexible heat tubes & form it to match up with your aircleaner. If you can find one of them in black instead of the silver tin foil type it wouldn't look too out of place.
Old August 20th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by rob1960
Hi Samman, the '68 exhaust shroud is all by itself. It is being reproduced, Fusick has it. It's a 4 piece set,part #EMS68,I see you already have the correct non a/c snorkel adapter on your air cleaner so the kit is all you'd need. It is pricey though at $299!! The '69 &up pic that Tru-blue 442 sent you won't work with a '68 aircleaner. Starting in '69 they moved the vacuum flapper valve & the heat pipe out almost to the end of the snorkel & it uses a just one pipe that goes from the shroud to the aircleaner. I had some pics of my rh manifold with the original shroud on it after I restored it but I bought a new computer earlier this year & I lost some of the pics when things were transferred over. You could probably use the later setup(it's about $100) but you'd have to get one of those parts store type flexible heat tubes & form it to match up with your aircleaner. If you can find one of them in black instead of the silver tin foil type it wouldn't look too out of place.
Thanks Rob,
That's the exact info l needed. I will check out Fusicks
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:05 PM

Hi just got the kit#EMS68 from Fusick, does anyone have any pictures or instructions of this installed before l start.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:45 AM

You'll have to take the manifold back off the car. You'll need some short sheet metal screws(the originals on mine were self tapping phillips head around 3/8" long) if they didn't come in the kit. It's pretty straight forward. One piece goes behind, the other piece with the rectangular opening wraps around on the outside & screws together. The snorkel adapter with the rectangular end slides into the outer piece & has 2 holes for screws that secure it to the shroud(They're a real bitch to get to in the car, so you'll definitely want to have it screwed together before you slide the manifold back in!) . The curved pipe also has holes for screws but since my car has a/c I left them off so I can easily remove the pipe for working on the car. It won't fall off without the screws.Hope this helps.....Rob
Old September 3rd, 2014, 08:18 AM

You'll have to take the manifold back off the car. You'll need some short sheet metal screws(the originals on mine were self tapping phillips head around 3/8" long) if they didn't come in the kit. It's pretty straight forward. One piece goes behind, the other piece with the rectangular opening wraps around on the outside & screws together. The snorkel adapter with the rectangular end slides into the outer piece & has 2 holes for screws that secure it to the shroud(They're a real bitch to get to in the car, so you'll definitely want to have it screwed together before you slide the manifold back in!) . The curved pipe also has holes for screws but since my car has a/c I left them off so I can easily remove the pipe for working on the car. It won't fall off without the screws.Hope this helps.....Rob
Rob, took some pics of the parts., my snorkel adapter has no holes as in the first two pics below,
does it slide over the shrould using the slots as in the fourth pic below or does it install as in the third pic below. Also should l be drilling 2 holes into the snorkel to attach to the shroud before installing.
Your help is really appreciated, Sam

DSC_0214A.jpg

DSC_0215A.jpg

DSC_0217A.jpg

DSC_0218A.jpg
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:36 AM

Your pic #3 is correct. the adapter slides completely inside. I didn't put those 2 screws back in on that piece or the ones on on the round tube above it.The air cleaner will hold everything in place. Since your car doesn't have a/c, I'd drill those 2 holes & secure the lower piece as they're a real bitch to get to in the car. Like I said since my car has air I left the screws off so everything slides apart,it makes it much easier to work on that side of the engine,the guy that did my alignment was very appreciative of that!!!, but without a/c you have lots of room on the pass side for access. Hope this helps
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:45 AM

Your pic #3 is correct. the adapter slides completely inside. I didn't put those 2 screws back in on that piece or the ones on on the round tube above it.The air cleaner will hold everything in place. Since your car doesn't have a/c, I'd drill those 2 holes & secure the lower piece as they're a real bitch to get to in the car. Like I said since my car has air I left the screws off so everything slides apart,it makes it much easier to work on that side of the engine,the guy that did my alignment was very appreciative of that!!!, but without a/c you have lots of room on the pass side for access. Hope this helps

Ok Thanks!
Old September 13th, 2014, 06:55 AM

Finally installed the manifold shroud. Here are some pics, Thanks again Rob for the Fusick part number.
Attached Images
DSC_0238A.jpg (54.9 KB, 66 views)
DSC_0239A.jpg (60.3 KB, 64 views)
DSC_0240A.jpg (58.6 KB, 62 views)
DSC_0242a.jpg (58.8 KB, 58 views)
DSC_0243a.jpg (55.4 KB, 53 views)
Old September 13th, 2014, 07:11 AM

Best get a springy clamp on that PCV hose
Old September 13th, 2014, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Best get a springy clamp on that PCV hose

ok thanks will do.
Old September 13th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Old School Olds

Looks good.
Anymore pics of the beast?
Old September 13th, 2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Looks good.
Anymore pics of the beast?

Did someone say pics

Last edited by SAMMAN; September 13th, 2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:56 AM

Nice looking car!! Glad the shroud worked out. Happy to help! Even though my '68 is all #s matching I definitely see a 455 in my future!! My last '68 442(clone) had one built to H/O W45 specs & it was a blast to drive, endless torque!! While they run ok I was never a fan of the "G" block 400s. If you ever need any other help with your '68 pm me & I'd be happy to give you my cell #
Old September 17th, 2014, 03:47 PM

Just noticed this thread. Yeah, sweet car. Love the color and comfy looking seats.
Old September 17th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Old School Olds

Very nice. I am a fan of the seats as well.