Cold Air System

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Cold Air System

Has anyone done any upgrades to a cold air system similiar to the one Spectre Performance has? (www.spectreperformance.com). Looks pretty easy to install and reasonably priced. My underhood tempeture is pretty high on my 455, so I know the air going to the carb is relatively hot. Probably 200+ degrees, though I haven't checked it. This might cool the air to the carb. Thoughts???
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Cooler air to the carb can increase HP a little but will do little to reduce underhood temps. The factory knew what they were doing and were aware of normal underhood temperatures.
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I know I can't do much for the under hood temperture. I was interested in getting cold air to the carb and if anyone had tried this. Is it worth the $300+ to do this. My modified 455 gets very hot under the hood, hotter then it did before I had it modified. Just interested if anyone had done this and their thoughts. Thanks for your help.
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cbogartjr
Has anyone done any upgrades to a cold air system similiar to the one Spectre Performance has? (www.spectreperformance.com). Looks pretty easy to install and reasonably priced. My underhood tempeture is pretty high on my 455, so I know the air going to the carb is relatively hot. Probably 200+ degrees, though I haven't checked it. This might cool the air to the carb. Thoughts???
A very rough rule of thumb is that you'll get approximately a 1 hp increase for every 7 degree drop in inlet air temp to the carb.
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Hummm, should of known you'd have the data....Thanks Joe. So, if I can drop the air temp by 100 degrees, going into the carb., I might see 14 hp. That would be worth the $300+.Thanks again...
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Senior Moment Member

Question. I put my car in a Labor Day parade and it was idling in slow traffic for 25 minutes. The temp got to 220 and then the parade was over so I couldn't see if it was going to overheat. My question is, is this too hot? The motor is freshly rebuilt (350) and runs at no more than 160 in normal driving situations. It was a fun day. My daughter was marching in the parade and I figured what the heck I'll throw the Olds in the car club section. The guy asked me if I was part of the car club and I told him no, but I would join on the spot. He said I couldn't be in the parade. I said "Come on". Then he just said OK. My car is at least as nice as the ones in the parade anyway. It wasn't like I was bringing the show down. You shoulda seen the looks I got. Nope, that ain't no Chevelle. It's a Cutlass. With a 4 speed too. Ram Air under the bumper, you don't see many of those. I represented with class.
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Hi, 220 seems a little high. You may want to check your thermostat. If still too high you might consider flushing your system. Then again you could have a defective gauge. I was pushing 220 on my 455. I changed the declutching fan to a flex-lite fan. This reduced the concern and temperature. I still get up to 200 degrees on a hot day in traffic. Otherwise it stays around 180. Hope this helps.
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Hi, 220 seems a little high ........
Read the following, again:

Originally Posted by z11375ss
........ it was idling in slow traffic for 25 minutes. The temp got to 220 ........
Then, tell us why 220° "seems a little high".

Then, tell us why it would not be normal for that engine/fan combination, at 600 RPM for 25 minutes, to run warmer than usual.

Then, tell us WTF it has to do with this thread.

Norm

Last edited by 88 coupe; September 25th, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old September 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM

That Spectra crap is just that crap.

I had it on the 307 and it slowed the car down even more.

www.ramairbox.com try this
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Redog...thanks for your opinion. I do appreciate it. It's worth a lot more then someone that wants to be obnoxious rather then helpful. Sad they choose this forum to vent. Their opinion may be valuable and even helpful, but who wants to listen. Thanks again Redog.....

Last edited by cbogartjr; September 26th, 2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:39 AM

It's worth a lot more then someone that wants to be obnoxious rather then helpful ........
Straight from the "captjim School of Debate" handbook:

Start by posting a couple of bogus solutions to a nonexistent problem. If anyone questions your position, or asks you for clarification, it is permissible to attack that individual, in any way possible. This, because it is far easier to call someone "obnoxious" than to deal with your own BS statements.

Norm
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
That Spectra crap is just that crap.

I had it on the 307 and it slowed the car down even more.

www.ramairbox.com try this
I have a RamAirBox set up on my car, works great, although for the price the finish is not all that great. It is rather bulky, too, so you may need a drop base or an "adjustment" on the hood bracing.