455 build Questions

Old April 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM

455 build Questions

Hi all. I'm building a 1971 455 for my '57 Super 88. Good block going 30 over, icon pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, cast crank 10 under. Want to go w/Edelbrock Alum heads and new non-roller rockers. This will be a comfortable quiet cruiser. Questions are: Cam choice? I'd like a slight lope but torque is most important thing. I'm not too interested in the vacuum problem, will probably go w/hydro or electric brake system, and electric choke. I've been reading about problems w/Comp cams and lifters. Any other suggestions? Also, for this application will the engine breathe well enough with the original exhaust manifolds, will they fit the heads, or should I go w/headers? Many thanks in advance. I'll probably have many more questions. Bill. WFG4U@aol.com
or here!
Old April 15th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by Charly9g
Hi all. I'm building a 1971 455 for my '57 Super 88. Good block going 30 over, icon pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, cast crank 10 under. Want to go w/Edelbrock Alum heads and new non-roller rockers. This will be a comfortable quiet cruiser. Questions are: Cam choice? I'd like a slight lope but torque is most important thing. I'm not too interested in the vacuum problem, will probably go w/hydro or electric brake system, and electric choke. I've been reading about problems w/Comp cams and lifters. Any other suggestions? Also, for this application will the engine breathe well enough with the original exhaust manifolds, will they fit the heads, or should I go w/headers? Many thanks in advance. I'll probably have many more questions. Bill. WFG4U@aol.com
or here!
Cutlassefi does custom cams I would ask him also if you haven't bought the heads yet look up smity ? I think is his screen name he was talking a good deal on re worked pro comp heads that he ports just a few ideas
Old April 15th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Beer Connoisseur

X2.
Cutlassefi will set you up with a great cam according to your specs. He can also point you in a right direction with valve train components and supply them. He has helped many on this site including myself.

Smitty275 had a great deal on ported procomp's. I haven't had a pleasure of dealing with him but I've heard only good things from people that have.

If you are going this far with the build exh. Manifolds will choke the engine. I would definitely go with headers. JMO.
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:40 PM

The exhaust manifolds for the 455 will work just fine. You should into the "Thornton"manifolds which are identified as "W" & "Z" manifolds. Also you will use the T400 trans that goes behind the 455. The hydro from the '57 will not even come close.
The 455 will make a nice engine for the '57.
Pic's of the car will give us all some insight of your project.

Gene
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:41 AM

Non roller rockers? Why?
I'd do something like this;
232/236 on a 110+4. Lift would be .568. You'll have good heads, use them the best you can.
But if you're using exhaust manifolds I'm not sure I'd go for ported heads. I rhink the Edelbrocks out of the box would give you boost you're looking for.
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:18 PM

Hi all! First, many thanks for the replies! The reason I'm going w/ Edelbrock heads is twofold. They are finish machined about 30 minutes from my home (hemet, Ca.), and the warranty issue. Not sure whether that is an issue or not. As far as the rockers (roller or non-roller) I was told by my machinist that that adds about a grand to the build price. Actually money is not a problem but this is going to be a cruiser and I was wondering whether it would make that much difference. (all opinions are VERY welcome). And Cutlassefi, can you recommend a decent hydraulic lifter (and kit, rockers, etc.) to go w/your camshaft? I'm coupling this with a 4L60E Trans (I think). Sorry for all the dumb questions guys, Thanks. Bill. (Will post pics soon).
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Engine Builder

Well, your machinist is out to lunch. Roller rockers will not add a grand to your build. Edelbrock heads come ready to accept roller rockers for 7/16 stud and guide plates for 3/8 pushrods. To convert backwards to use standard rockers would cost you more money and headaches than just getting the right rockers. Personally I prefer the Harland Sharp roller rockers for just a cruiser. You could get away with their less expensive 5003 rocker. Though the 5016 or 5017 would be the best to use for a few bucks more. Your gonna get a custom camshaft may as well have a rocker that translates it to the valve as accurately as possible.
While writing this I'm going to guess that your machinist thought you said hydraulic roller cam. That could add almost a grand to a build.
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Engine Builder

I'll second the move to headers. If nothing else they will provide better fuel mileage as long as you keep your foot off the deep end of the GO peddle. Headers also get the heat away from the head and valve train which makes valves, guides, and seals last longer. There are a few great options for headers now and the sealing issues of years gone by are easily overcome.
While I have seen iron manifolds put on aluminum heads I'd never do it.

Last edited by Smitty275; April 16th, 2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Smitty275
Well, your machinist is out to lunch. X2 Roller rockers will not add a grand to your build. X2 Edelbrock heads come ready to accept roller rockers for 7/16 stud and guide plates for 3/8 pushrods. To convert backwards to use standard rockers would cost you more money and headaches than just getting the right rockers.X2 Personally I prefer the Harland Sharp roller rockers for just a cruiser. You could get away with their less expensive 5003 rocker. Though the 5016 or 5017 would be the best to use for a few bucks more. Your gonna get a custom camshaft may as well have a rocker that translates it to the valve as accurately as possible.
While writing this I'm going to guess that your machinist thought you said hydraulic roller cam. That could add almost a grand to a build.
Get another machinist. Like Smitty said he's in another world.
I offer Hyd roller cam kits starting at $725.00 with lifters, any grind. Quite frankly you'll have good heads, I'd go roller if at all possible. No oil worries, more power etc. No brainer in my book but I know budget dictates everything.

Last edited by cutlassefi; April 17th, 2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM

Welcome aboard!
Originally Posted by Charly9g
my home (hemet, Ca.)
Nice area. I have driven through there several times on my way to Temecula.
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:19 PM

Hello again. And thanks again for all the replies. First off I think I miss quoted my machinist. He probably was trying to warn me about the cost of a Roller Cam and the setup. Sorry, my ignorance. And Cutlassefi, what is the best way to reach you to discuss your product? Also, I never gave a thought to putting iron manifolds against Aluminum heads. That has to cause some heat problems doesn't it? Thanks for everyone's help!
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:02 PM

2X on the Headers and the roller rockers. I personally think the headers will look nicer and the roller rockers will not cost all that much more and both will free up some horse power too