How to store an Olds 455 engine for extended period?

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2014, 01:52 PM

How to store an Olds 455 engine for extended period?

Hi Guys,
I am thinking of buying a friends 455 engine however my project car will likely not hit the streets for another two or three years minimum. The motor runs strong as I was hanging on in my friends 68' a couple summers back and was impressed. He is replacing it with the correct 400 motor. My question is....if I buy this engine and store it in my shed for a few years, what is the best way to ensure that when I go to use it, it will still run strong and that no issues will take place while in storage such as stuck rings etc? Some have suggested filling the cylinders w automatic trans fluid & letting it sit. I need some help with this one please. All suggestions r welcomed!
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Ask someone who winterizes boats.
First change the oil. even short running results in blowby that causes acids to form. Turn it over after the oil changing to make sure all bearings have clean oil.
Fog the ctlinders with fogging oil while cranking. It sticks in the cylinders and prevents rust.
Even if it's on a stand, fill with antifreeze to prevent corrosion in the water jackets.
Cover every water, vent, etc passage to prevent critters for moving in. One year, I started my boat, a birds nest blew out the exhaust. And mud dawbers get in everywhere. You might be better with something that breaths, rather than plastic, to prevent condensation.
Oh yeah, crank the engine over every few months, to prevent one cylinder from being open, and valve springs compressed too long.

Last edited by garys 68&72; February 8th, 2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:14 PM
same but different

Considering your length of time, if you don't have a chance to turn the engine over while its in storage, loosen the rocker bolts so the valves will close on all of cylinders.
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:30 PM

I am going to have to say that plastic keeps moist air AWAY FROM the engine, thus PREVENTING condensation when the engine is colder than the surrounding air's dew point. As above, fresh lube... if you can't run it with fog spray to a stop then spray it as best you can inside and out. "Chain lube" per the auto parts store is very clingy and a great preservative. Cosmolene from e.g. National Automotive Lines works well also. Loosen all rockers if you can. Bag it tightly with some desiccant bags inside the bag.

All that said, I have seen engines "stored" very poorly in the swamp that is Michigan, like just shut off and left in the car for 12 years... which I was able to restart and run by just changing the points.

But, yeah, the more oily you can make it, the better.
Old February 10th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Thanks guys- good suggestions here. I tried calling an auto parts store today & inquired about fogging oil.....there was a long pause on the phone w no response. The guy asked me to hold and then came back shortly thereafter and asked me if I was about to store a two stroke engine of some kind. I told him it was for a V8 and he seemed baffled. He never heard of fogging oil for a car engine. Where should I go to purchase this fogging oil? Will an O'Reilly's have it or a Napa? Carquest?
Old February 11th, 2014, 04:11 AM

Not sure where you live, if its a colder climate head to a snowmobile shop. If you cant find fogging oil WD-40 would probably be OK. Crank the engine while spraying in the carb, remove the plugs and put some clean oil in each cylinder, turn the engine over by hand spray some more WD-40 in the cylinder and reinstall the plugs. Loosen all the rocker bolts to close the valves, spray more WD-40 in the water jackets and exhaust manifolds, stuff some steel wool into the water pump opening, use some rubber caps to seal off the heater hose/fuel lines, etc, and tape thing up well. Spray WD-40 into the carb and seal it off. Basically, the idea is to keep things oily so they don't corrode. The engine will smoke like crazy when you fire it back up, but that shouldn't last long.
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 70442rag
I tried calling an auto parts store today & inquired about fogging oil.....there was a long pause on the phone w no response. The guy asked me to hold and then came back shortly thereafter and asked me if I was about to store a two stroke engine of some kind. I told him it was for a V8 and he seemed baffled. He never heard of fogging oil for a car engine.
I'm surprised he didn't ask the year, model, and engine size, and then say there's no listing in the computer for it...
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:16 PM

Great information guys. I have a question related to this. I have a 455 sitting in a heated garage that I pulled probably 10 or more years ago. As I was fairly young at the time, I didn't really do anything to prep the engine before leaving it there. My plan is to rebuild it someday. Do you see any problems with doing a rebuild on an engine that's just sat indefinitely?
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:59 PM

Other than being froze up, no. You might want to turn it over occasionally.

As for the original engine being discussed, spray oil liberally on the outside of the engine too to keep rust away. Put an air cleaner with filter on the carb to keep crap out. If no carb, then tape off the intake. Some people advise for storing it forever is to fill the engine with oil, but I don't think you could turn it over like that, and it may blow out a seal, so I don't think I recommend it; never tried it, at least.
Old February 11th, 2014, 02:48 PM

Every 4 cycle marine motor gets fogged if it sits more than a few months. Try any boat dealer. Oreileys does have it here in MO, but lots of lakes around too.

Originally Posted by 70442rag
Thanks guys- good suggestions here. I tried calling an auto parts store today & inquired about fogging oil.....there was a long pause on the phone w no response. The guy asked me to hold and then came back shortly thereafter and asked me if I was about to store a two stroke engine of some kind. I told him it was for a V8 and he seemed baffled. He never heard of fogging oil for a car engine. Where should I go to purchase this fogging oil? Will an O'Reilly's have it or a Napa? Carquest?
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Other than being froze up, no. You might want to turn it over occasionally.

As for the original engine being discussed, spray oil liberally on the outside of the engine too to keep rust away. Put an air cleaner with filter on the carb to keep crap out. If no carb, then tape off the intake. Some people advise for storing it forever is to fill the engine with oil, but I don't think you could turn it over like that, and it may blow out a seal, so I don't think I recommend it; never tried it, at least.
ok great thanks! One of these days, I'll pull the plugs and throw a few drops of oil in the cylinders and give a turn.