ClassicOldsmobile.com  

Go Back   ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Engine > Big Blocks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile Forum!
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Classic Oldsmobile Forum today!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1

455 high volume oil pump

I've read that a high volume pump is bad news for a stock 455. I've got a milodon 7 quart pan and the high volume pump and pick-up that go with it. After reading the horror stories, I figured I would attach the milodon extended pick-up to a stock style pump, and run a high capacity pan without concerns of ever running out of oil.
Today I pulled the old pan and noticed the extended pick-up will not fit a stock style pump.
My question is:
Can I run the milodon high volume pump and 7 quart pan with a near stock '71 455? I don't expect to run the motor above 5000 RPM (5500max) as it is not built to run any higher. My highway cruise RPM will be about 2500RPM.
Thanks.
68conv455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68conv455 View Post
I've read that a high volume pump is bad news for a stock 455 ........
Do not believe everything you read. Especially on the internet.

All else being equal:
At a given pressure, both pumps will move the same amount of oil. In a performance engine that has wider bearing clearances, more volume is needed, in order to maintain oil pressure, and a "standard" pump might not be up to it.

Short answer: The extra 20% of flow is not used, unless it is needed.

Quote:
........ Can I run the milodon high volume pump and 7 quart pan with a near stock '71 455? ........
Not a problem. Since you are using "factory" clearances, that comination will work just as well as the factory oiling system.

Make sure there is a minimum ⅜" pickup to pan clearance, and 5 qts in the pan, then call it good.

Norm
88 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #3
442=A perfect 10

[quote=88 coupe;21926]Do not believe everything you read. Especially on the internet.

All else being equal:
At a given pressure, both pumps will move the same amount of oil. In a performance engine that has wider bearing clearances, more volume is needed, in order to maintain oil pressure, and a "standard" pump might not be up to it.

Short answer: The extra 20% of flow is not used, unless it is needed.

Not a problem. Since you are using "factory" clearances, that comination will work just as well as the factory oiling system.

Click the image to open in full size. Depending on how you are using your application, slight

restriction of oil to the top end might be in order otherwise you are good to go!

Regards,

Fred
GoodOldsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 coupe View Post
........ Since you are using "factory" clearances, that comination will work just as well as the factory oiling system.
Depending on how you are using your application ........
Following is from his opening post:

Quote:
I've read that a high volume pump is bad news for a stock 455 ........ ........ milodon high volume pump and 7 quart pan ........
It's a stock engine. He has already spent more cash, than he needed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuy View Post
........ slight restriction of oil to the top end might be in order ........
Not needed. If he was interested in overkill, restricted pushrods would have been a better choice than his deep pan.

Norm
88 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 07:29 AM
ClassicOldsmobile
1957 Oldsmobile

Paid Advertisement

submit to reddit