Bent & Scared Push Rods!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:56 PM

Bent & Scared Push Rods!!!!!!

Missed a r in scarred!!!!!

I just pulled a 455 with E heads from a 70 Delta and when I broke it down I found a bad head gasket and 2 very bent and scarred push rods!!!!
Does anyone know what would cause push rods to bend and get scarred????

Thanks Wyze

Last edited by Wyze; October 6th, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM

The engine I just pulled out of my car had 2 bent pushrods and the same corresponding cam lobes were flat. Usually caused by too much preload on the lifters, could be caused by stuck lifter plunger also. The small 5/16" pushrods don't help the problem.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:04 PM

278dd0d9.jpg

f01c2655.jpg
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
The engine I just pulled out of my car had 2 bent pushrods and the same corresponding cam lobes were flat. Usually caused by too much preload on the lifters, could be caused by stuck lifter plunger also. The small 5/16" pushrods don't help the problem.

I haven't pulled the cam as my original plan was to only get the heads but after pulling them and seeing the bad gasket I was overly tempted to buy to whole motor to see if I could get away with just put new gaskets on it!!!!

Well sadly I didnt see the bent rods until I was just out in the garage spraying the manifold bolts with PB Blaster!!!!!
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:19 PM

I would check the lobes of where those two pushrods were. They may be flat or on their way. The scarring is caused by the pushrod rubbing in the hold where it goes through the head. Believe it or not my brother somehow managed to bend a pushrod so bad it was jammed in that hole. We had to pull the head and beat the heck out of it.

If you end up putting a cam in it you should also look into getting hardened pushrods and adjustable rockers.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:28 PM

Well as of now I think I'm gonna track down my buddy Olds Thunder and get a couple rods to replace these bent ones!!!!
I wanna run this motor on a stand and see what it does before putting any money into it!!!!

Do you know any other things I should be checking for??????
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:46 AM

If you have lobes that are wiped-out,then you have metal sitting at the bottom,and possibly scattered throughout the engine,depending on how long it was run.I would pull the pan anyway,since it is on a stand.You can clean good,and take a good visual inspection of the bottom.
You can also check the valves/springs that correspond to the bent pushrods,and see if there is any bind.
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
If you have lobes that are wiped-out,then you have metal sitting at the bottom,and possibly scattered throughout the engine,depending on how long it was run.I would pull the pan anyway,since it is on a stand.You can clean good,and take a good visual inspection of the bottom.
You can also check the valves/springs that correspond to the bent pushrods,and see if there is any bind.

Yeah buddy, thats a must!!!!!!! I really hope I dont find any damage that will cause for it to need rebuilt right away!!!! New chain, and gaskets for now would be a blessing!!!! I guess a cam set also but anything more and I'm just gonna set it a side till I can have it totally redone!!!!!!

How do I check the valves/springs?????
Old October 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Bad news!!!!!
I just went to pick the block up and the a$$holes at Riverside Salvage didn't listen when I told them," the motor is unbolted so becareful"!!!
Well this guy lifts the car in the air and BOOM, the engine falls out the car, lands on the flywheel, it bends and breaks a chunk where the tranny bolts on!!!!

So I'm like I don't want that now, first thing out his mouth is wheres the rest of the motor!!!!!!! I explain to him I still want the heads!!!
He says oh well go get the intake!!!!! Now I gotta drive 45 minutes to get the 2 barrel nobody wants just to get my money back!!!!!
So I tell him it'll cost me $20 in gas doing all that, how much for the intake so I don't waste more time and money!!!! This bastard says $30 bucks!!!! WTF!!!!!!
This really sucks!!!!!! I've been having 455 dreams since Thursday!!!!! Lol
Guess I'll take that $200 and buy something for my 350!!!!!
Old October 8th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Sounds like my kinda luck!! I bet if you look a bit a 455 will still be in your furure!
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Sounds like my kinda luck!! I bet if you look a bit a 455 will still be in your furure!
I wont stop till I get 1 now!!!!! lol
I kept the heads and returned with that big scraptake and got my refund!!!!!
a0feb8cd.jpg
c805c4e8.jpg