Engine Dyno Results!!!

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Engine Dyno Results!!!

Alright fella's, here it is...dyno results! Video at bottom

Engine dyno done at Faerman Racing Engines:

I got to hang out all day and participate, I actually had to do all the work...I'm kind of wondering why I PAID $600 to work on my own engine? WTH? lol!

Dennis Faerman and Dan DaVinci ran the dyno

And in this run we made 485 horsepower and 540 ft/lbs of torque

My video camera died for the last few runs but we ended up making 491 horsepower / 544 ft/lbs torque. I will scan and post the final results once I get them...printer ran out of ink so I have to wait a day or two until they can print and scan the sheet. Overall, I'm happy with the performance. I would've loved to have broken 500 hp but for a 98 degree day in Houston, I think we did ok

Video:

Engine Conditions: 93 Octane (bought today), 35 total timing, NO DETONATION!!!

Engine Specs:

- Fa Block - bored .060" (468 C.I.), decked .006" (maybe more by previous build, deck height is less than .005), de-burred, oil restrictors in 2,3,4 main journals
- Nodular crank - Shot peened, ARP main studs, Billet steel main cap straps (2,3,4 mains)
- Stock rods - Shot peened, ARP rod bolts
- Keith Black IC886 Flat top pistons .060" oversize (CR 10.63 w/ .040" gasket)
- High pressure / High volume oil pump, chromeoly hardened drive shaft, 8 quart pan, full length windage tray
- Engle cam - (Mondello MPV 1-2) Solid flat tappet 557/574 lift, 244/252 Duration @ .050", 110 lobe separation
- Timing chain - Cloyes true roller (double) w/ cam spacer and bushing
- Push rods - 3/8" oversize, hardened, oil restricting
- Rocker arms - 1:6 ratio aluminum roller
- Edelbrock heads - CNC ported, ARP 7/16" head studs
- Edelbrock Torker intake - Ported, port matched to heads, plenum cone
- Holly 4150 HP 950 - Built specifically for this engine by DaVinci PERFORMANCE CARBURETORS
- MSD Pro Billet Distributor 8566
- MSD 6AL Ignition Control Box
- NGK Spark plugs R5671A-7

Last edited by ah64pilot; October 6th, 2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Add engine data
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:17 PM

Very nice!
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Registered Thread Killer

Wow and...wow!
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:27 AM

Nice.

Curious how much is involved in using those heads on a 350.
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:00 AM

Yes that's not bad, but I had the same engine in my "65 442 back in the day and it tested out at 522hp with 624ft/lbs torque.
What's that? Well ok, ok... maybe my numbers are a little off.

Very nice!!!

Jaybird
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:20 AM

See what happens when you put a good flowing pair of heads on an engine??

Nearly 500 hp out of a SBO. Very impressive.
I'm wondering how streetable that will be with those Eddy heads and how many gallons per mile you'll get. lol

I'm thinking if you put the right rubber on that car you'll be doing 12 flat or maybe even 11's.
How much did that thing cost you to build ?? Looks like a $10,000+ motor. Just curious.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 21st, 2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:25 AM

Aceshigh,
You fell for the first trick.That's a BBO painted 350 gold.
I think you will be happy with those numbers.Those are nearly identical to Stan's 496 iron-headed resto engine.It's plenty for him.
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks guys! Brian, I figured that would throw some guys off...it's going into a factory 350 supreme so I wanted to have SOME sense of what a stock Supreme looked like. Of course, w/ a W-25 hood, 442 grills, and aluminum heads it's kind of pointless lOl!

I just wish Aces hadn't erased his comment, I'd be interested to know what a fellow Olds guy thought about my "small block" gold 455. If he was thrown off you can imagine what a Chevy guy would think...
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:33 PM

wannabe 350
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Aceshigh,
You fell for the first trick.That's a BBO painted 350 gold.
I realized that after I saw this was in the Big Block section and deleted my post.

Truth be told it's been hard for me to tell the difference visually
Originally Posted by ah64pilot
I just wish Aces hadn't erased his comment, I'd be interested to know what a fellow Olds guy thought about my "small block" gold 455. If he was thrown off you can imagine what a Chevy guy would think...
Technically I am a Chevy guy that also owns a 442 clone. Shhhh
So let me be the first to say not everyone knows SBO and BBO are nearly the same size.

The color coding of Olds engines isn't widely known in the Chevy community either.
Old timers that were enthusiasts do know it, but the younger one's don't.

Motor looks like an expensive build.
Mind if I ask what the cost was round about for everything??

The numbers are VERY impressive. Sounds like a real Gallon per mile beast.
I'm speculating $8-$10,000 and with the right tires you're probably in the 12 flat ET arena.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 21st, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:05 PM

Uh, oh... Am I hearing the C word again?

Impressive numbers and build! Yes, I am interested in light foot mpg and streetability.

Interesting how they run it in a bulletproof chamber, just in case it lets go...
I have seen some let go and its not pretty!

BTW, I am thinking of getting a Vista Cruiser with a 350 painted 455 blue......
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:14 PM

Wow! Impressive numbers,how much money does it cost to build an engine like that? If thats not my business,i understand.curios though.Later,BO
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
I realized that after I saw this was in the Big Block section and deleted my post.

Truth be told it's been hard for me to tell the difference visually

Technically I am a Chevy guy that also owns a 442 clone. Shhhh
So let me be the first to say not everyone knows SBO and BBO are nearly the same size.

The color coding of Olds engines isn't widely known in the Chevy community either.
Old timers that were enthusiasts do know it, but the younger one's don't.

Motor looks like an expensive build.
Mind if I ask what the cost was round about for everything??

The numbers are VERY impressive. Sounds like a real Gallon per mile beast.
I'm speculating $8-$10,000 and with the right tires you're probably in the 12 flat ET arena.
Your speculation would be correct... I did some extra block prep that ran up the parts expense. Machine work was about normal at $1700. It was the heads themselves, intake, and accessories that cost so much.

Everything cost about $11K...keep in mind that includes $1600 for polished aluminum brackets, pulleys AND alternator, water pump, p/s pump, sanden compressor.

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Uh, oh... Am I hearing the C word again?

Impressive numbers and build! Yes, I am interested in light foot mpg and streetability.

Interesting how they run it in a bulletproof chamber, just in case it lets go...
I have seen some let go and its not pretty!

BTW, I am thinking of getting a Vista Cruiser with a 350 painted 455 blue......
Thanks Rob, I'll let you know what the mileage is like once I get it in the car and get her on the road...won't be much I'm sure with the Holley HP 950 on there.

Originally Posted by BosMobile
Wow! Impressive numbers,how much money does it cost to build an engine like that? If thats not my business,i understand.curios though.Later,BO
I was a bit wasteful with money, this build cost about $11K...read above. If you just want the motor for power and aren't interested in longevity you could get away with it for around $8K. Expensive roller rockers, hardened EVERYTHING, shot peening, freezing, balancing, good bearings etc all adds up.

Keep in mind, little things like port matching the intake to the ported heads makes power...it also tacked on $150 just for material removal (porting). I actually matched the ports and marked what needed to be cut out, I just wasn't comfortable grinding on aluminum.
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:00 PM

Very cool post - thanks for sharing. The video reminded me of the HorsePower tv show.
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:18 PM

Yes, but unlike the Horsepower build, we did not struggle to make 1 HP per Cubic Inch lol!
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:34 PM

Nice job, too bad you couldn't do a back to back with the new RPM.

Car should be fun to drive!!!!
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:41 PM

Mark, I would have LOVED that comparison! I really want an air gap but having bought the torker way before the rpm came out I am stuck. The next one will get the air gap
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:00 PM

Gotta love the ice cream truck music in the background hahaha
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:13 PM
GM Enthusiast

That is awesome! Very impressive numbers, I'm sure you'll be enjoying it when you get it back in the car.
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by jesseb
Gotta love the ice cream truck music in the background hahaha
I know! One of the machinist working behind us had that as his ring tone...totally undermined my video! But my video camera died (the wife promised it was charge & it wasn't) so I was left with only the first few videos I took.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
That is awesome! Very impressive numbers, I'm sure you'll be enjoying it when you get it back in the car.
Thank you...I can't wait to drive it! I've got another in the garage...when this one is stabbed this weekend it's going to be the next one up. I don't know if we're going to build it as aggressively because it's for a convertible but it'll be fun to build anyway
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
[B]Your speculation would be correct... I did some extra block prep that ran up the parts expense. Machine work was about normal at $1700. It was the heads themselves, intake, and accessories that cost so much.

Everything cost about $11K...keep in mind that includes $1600 for polished aluminum brackets, pulleys AND alternator, water pump, p/s pump, sanden compressor.
Heads are the biggest and best investment on these Olds motors though IMO.
Let the motor BREATHE and it makes serious power.

Factory heads just don't cut the mustard.
Congratulations on your future toy. Money is always something you'll make more of.
Having priceless moments like the first time you mash the pedal and go sideways and blow off your tires = Priceless.

Is this going to be strictly a drag toy or are you planning on putting a beefy Overdrive trans behind it too so you can drive it ???
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Is this going to be strictly a drag toy or are you planning on putting a beefy Overdrive trans behind it too so you can drive it ???
This is a streetable drag toy that has a TH400 and WILL HAVE a Gear Vendor overdrive unit. I just had it painted and am out of money so for now I will be happy to drive it. (See link in my sig)

In the Fall I plan on doing a rear end swap and GV overdrive...4.10 gears w/ overdrive and 26" tire will make it cruise just like it is now with a 3.42 gear in it.

I will drive it more than I race it, but I will race it at least one weekend a month
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:23 AM

Anyone try these Edelbrock RPM heads on a 350?

Just curious what is involved (other than needing a RPM intake), and if worth it overall... as opposed to putting W31 size valves in stock 7A heads for example.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by oldzy
Anyone try these Edelbrock RPM heads on a 350?

Just curious what is involved (other than needing a RPM intake), and if worth it overall... as opposed to putting W31 size valves in stock 7A heads for example.
Even Olds best W31 350 heads only flow 180cfm.....not very impressive.
Most are not even close to that figure.
The RPM heads flow 268cfm IIRC......~50% better.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 22nd, 2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:36 AM

They actually flow about 245. If you have a mild 350 then it's a flip of the coin. The Edelbrocks flow better but cost more and you'll need to port the intake for best results. However they do have a better combustion chamber and allow you to raise your compression ratio while still using pump gas.

Your call.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:37 AM

W31 valves are 455 valves in a 350 head.There really isn't a fair comparison between a good,ported 350 iron head,and a set of Edelbrocks,even out of the box.The Edelbrocks would be the better route,and even less expensive,if you consider how much you can invest into having iron heads ported.If I decide to have my H-heads ported,the portwork alone will be $3,000.00.My F-heads were $2500.00.
To build an Edelbrock-headed 350,you will definitely want a flat top or similar piston,due to the larger chambers of the Edelbrock head.I prefer that over milling a bunch off the head,then having to mill the intake,and get everything to line-up on the engine.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:12 AM
Administrator

$11000, wow! Nice engine though!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:34 AM

I did some rough figuring for what I'll have in the 517,when it is complete,and I stopped at $19,500.00.I'm sure it's easily $20k.,but it also isn't your typical build.Billet crank,billet main girdle for the whole bottom,raw Edelbrocks with custom machining & porting,GRP rods,CP pistons,roller cam,custom headers,and a bunch of candy in between.9-sec ET's on 93 octane,and still drive as normal.Yep,coulda just bought a 572 Chevy or an LS,but what challenge is there in that?
It sounds like you spent the money in the right places,and have a well-rounded engine.Let it fly.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:31 AM

I did some rough figuring for what I'll have in the 517,when it is complete,and I stopped at $19,500.00.I'm sure it's easily $20k.,but it also isn't your typical build.Billet crank,billet main girdle for the whole bottom,raw Edelbrocks with custom machining & porting,GRP rods,CP pistons,roller cam,custom headers,and a bunch of candy in between.9-sec ET's on 93 octane,and still drive as normal.Yep,coulda just bought a 572 Chevy or an LS,but what challenge is there in that?
It sounds like you spent the money in the right places,and have a well-rounded engine.Let it fly.
Oh stop! You gonna make momma cry! lol! J/k! You know, when I started this project I thought "$5000 MAX". But then I found out, $5000 isn't going to cut it if you wanna make 500 hp AND have it hold together. I know you can build them cheap, and I've done that...but in the long run I wanted something that would stay together and perform well.

I do agree a 572 would have been a much cheaper way to go, but I'm an Olds guy through and through. These engines are just fun to tweak, and once you learn the intricate details you can get them to make power. I just wish I had an unlimited budget on the other engine sitting in the garage...a 517 sounds like a good number
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:02 AM

I've seen far too many people try & take the bargain way out,and it never works.Look at it this way: You can spend $5,000.00 on an engine,and when it fails,you spend another $5,000.00 on an engine.Now you have $10,000.00 into a $5,000.00 engine.No bargain there.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Administrator

I've seen far too many people try & take the bargain way out,and it never works.Look at it this way: You can spend $5,000.00 on an engine,and when it fails,you spend another $5,000.00 on an engine.Now you have $10,000.00 into a $5,000.00 engine.No bargain there.
I agree there! In most cases you do get what you pay for! Imma gonna set the can out for cash donations for my next project!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:57 AM

I have around $17,000 in my 425 SB. If you wanna play.......ya gotta pay. Ya gotta buy good parts for any brand if you want it to live.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
I have around $17,000 in my 425 SB. If you wanna play.......ya gotta pay. Ya gotta buy good parts for any brand if you want it to live.

You got your engine specs handy??
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM

Yep if you want the engine to last its costs to play. Just my street 455 in the 57 was 8K but will last a long long time as a street car
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM

Nice numbers!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM

Here ya go defiant1:

DX block bored to 4.190 with a 3.850 stroke = 425 cubes
Filled block
Program splayed 4 bolt main caps
Lifter bores bushed from .921 down to .842 by BTR
Rear main seal machined to take a BBC rear seal by BTR
Front of block machined for a torrington bearing behind the cam by BTR
A Bryant billet crank, rifle drilled mains and rod pins. Knife edged, lightened (47 lbs), internal balance, nitrided and etc.
CompStar 6.200 H beam rods with 2.0" journal and .927 piston pin .016-.019 rod side clearances
Diamond pistons with dome creates 14:1 compression, .005 piston to wall clearance. Total Seal rings
Comp Cams roller cam, .724-.704......276-285........ground on a 108 LSA
Rocket Racing heads 334-247 CFMs @ .700 lift. 2.15 & 1.68"....70.6ccs
.040" Cometics
Stock intake
Stock 1000 HP Holly with two Dart cloverleaf 1" and one open 1" spacers
Kooks 1 7/8 headers, 3" collectors with 8" extensions.
Pan evac system
MSD distributer locked in at 35*
Produced 730 HP at 7400,, 579 TQ at 5400

All this is in front of a 5400 stall Coan converter and a Coan TH350. A Chevy 12 Bolt rear end, That and the ladder bar set-up were done by Quick Performance
5.14 gear with 14x32" slicks

Best ET so far has been a 9.83 @ 134 with a best of a 1.30 sixty
Car weighs 3300 race ready

A few articles to read if you like:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/2009/xi_5-oldstech-1.html
http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/2009/xi_6-oldstech-1.html
http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/2009/xi_7-oldstech-1.html
http://www.dragracingonline.com/columns/deadon/xii_12-1.html
http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/2011/xiii_7-olds-1.html

Last edited by 380 Racer; September 22nd, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the info. A little more than I will be doing with my 425, but I won't have a full out race car either. Thanks again.

d1
Old October 4th, 2011, 10:09 PM

This is posted in the major builds and project thread as well but I figured I'd post it here as well, in case you're not subscribed to my project thread. I got the engine in, this is a little video of it running through the 3" 2 chamber flowmasters...

Old October 5th, 2011, 03:05 AM

smooth like Butter nice work
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:26 AM

Great build! Great job! But one question. Why such a big carb? Seems like alot of carb for a street motor.

Quick Reply: Engine Dyno Results!!!