Valley Pan

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Valley Pan

Ok I am back to this 455 Valley Pan again. In using it do we use the edges as gasketso? If so just RTV above and below? If not which side do we add the intake gaskets? On the heads side or intake side?
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Jim's rare 80

If you are using the valley pan, it is the gasket. Use sealant around both sides of all openings. Don't use another gasket with the valley pan. It's one, or the other. Hope this helps. Jim.
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:14 AM

i use coppercote spray on those both sides
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM

or better yet. screw the valley pan. Vacuum leaking,overpriced piece of junk it is. Go with the 4 piece gasket from mr. gasket. Nice thick port side,chuck the ends and use ultra black,ultra blue,or even better, use ford rtv designed for oil pans on the 7.3 diesel. It'll take 3 guys to get it off again if you ever have to and will never leak oil.
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Past Administrator

IF you do use the valley pan, practice inserting it dry, make sure you have it correct side to the front. You should follow the directions about not using silicone on the front and rear seals except for the corners, if you don't and add silicone to the bottom and top of the end gaskets they might slip off. Some people cut out the center section completely, I haven't in the past but did try it this time but haven't had the engine running yet to see if it leaks or not. I think next time I will follow 71 delta88guy's recommendation though.
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:11 PM

JB Weld.
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Just went through the intake gasket again on my W-30. This is a stock motor with factory aluminum intake. The advice I was given many times is cut the turkey tray so it fits in the motor and doesn't get in the way of the Mr. Gaskets intake seals. That keeps the hot oil off the bottom of the intake.

Also make sure you retorque the Mr. Gasket seals. I didn't on the first try and it caused an exhaust leak at the intake to head surface. I was told to retorque after about 6 to 10 heat cycles of the motor until they completely stop compressing.

I didn't use the end seals, just RTV. One last thing about either of the Mr. Gasket #404 or the Ultraseals, they do not have the exhaust port opened under the carb. You have to do that one yourself. I used the factory gasket for a template then cut away what wasn't needed. If you don't do this the car can be very anemic when cold if tuning is on the rich side.

James
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by W30post
One last thing about either of the Mr. Gasket #404 or the Ultraseals, they do not have the exhaust port opened under the carb. You have to do that one yourself.

James

I was just going to mention that.

I use the turkey tray and an assload of Blue Rtv personally.

I have 60000 miles on the intake now and still no issues. Thank god.
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:40 PM

The regular blue rtv should not be sold anymore. It sucks! The addition of the ultra rtv's is so much better than the old and tired and sucky plain blue rtv it should be retired. Sick to death of prying it from oil pump srtainers by people who used it as described and had it break off and clog the oil pickup.Ultra grey is the best of the ultra's. Manufacturer rtv's are even better. Mitsubishi,nissan and ford/international have rtv's so much better than a gasket it's just sick. Try them.
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Delta 444

For the Delta
haha.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Delta444.gif (30.0 KB, 30 views)
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM

woo

wait im not quite understanding this. did you say cut the sides off where the it normally joins the manifold and head, and leave the main part of the valley pan ? can you do that ? where do i get this 4 piece mr gasket set you guys mentioned ?
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:41 PM

You can get the #404 gaskets from just about any auto parts store. Most sell Mr. Gasket items. If you didn't want to go to an auto parts store you can call or buy the gaskets online from suppliers like Summit.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Past Administrator

He was saying TRIM the valley pan part so it doesn't bind or scrape the insides of the block "so it fits the motor". At least, that is what I understand. It makes sense to me. Someone mentioned that the manufacturers silicone sealant is best. My buddy the 30 year mechanic agrees. Along his way of advancement he worked at a Toyota dealership (I think that is the one) and he still uses their stuff. I don't know if us normal human beings can get that or not but would be worth a try. I have never used the blue stuff, always the black stuff. It works for me and I have never found an oil pickup clogged, yet....