Pictures of your factory looking 455

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Pictures of your factory looking 455

I'm going to be painting the engine soon and I have ordered (received) a factory hose clamp set from Fusick's. Most clamps on my engine were factory but after this rebuild all will be.

Can you please post pictures of your factory looking 455's so I can see what clamps went where and other details? Thanks.
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:33 AM

They used different styles of clamps for different years,so it would be best to find a correctly restored engine of the same year as yours.
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:27 PM

It doesn't have to be specific to a certain year. I just don't want to use worm clamps. Believe me, I'm not building a show car...I'm building a car to show. Just want the stock "look".

I ordered a clamp set from Fusicks and with the originals I had on already, I wanted an idea of where to use the pinch clamps and where to use the double wire ones.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM

What year is the 455.I might able to help.Don
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Ken,
Here are a couple of pics I have on file of a 72 455 with the 'tower' hose clamps. The owner is Tom Krause and he claims it is an unmolested 4500 mile (actual) car at the time of the photos. Sorry the lower hose clamps aren't visible, but also not the clamps on the connection with the thermostat. Hope this helps a bit.

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Thanks Allan. From what I see in Tom's engine, I'm sure that the thermostat to waterpump hose should not be painted ,but anything's possible I guess. Mine will be black.

donald8619, the engine year will be 73-76 but any 455 look is fine.

I also want to compare 455 blue as I ordered Eastwood's ceramic hi temp paint in qt cans (as Fusick and Supercars can ship paint to Canada). If I think it's correct, great. If not I can still paint the engine with it and spray a more correct colour over it.
Old April 25th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442much
Thanks Allan. From what I see in Tom's engine, I'm sure that the thermostat to waterpump hose should not be painted ,but anything's possible I guess. Mine will be black.

donald8619, the engine year will be 73-76 but any 455 look is fine.

I also want to compare 455 blue as I ordered Eastwood's ceramic hi temp paint in qt cans (as Fusick and Supercars can ship paint to Canada). If I think it's correct, great. If not I can still paint the engine with it and spray a more correct colour over it.
Anytime Ken,
FWIW, I have emails from Tom that this is factory correct since nothing has been done to it. Yeah, I agree the hose from the t-stat should be black. Hmmm, maybe that was a 'specially coded one of one only??' . Something you also may want to note. The oil filler is NOT painted. This has been something that I have a raging debate over each time I see one. My car from the factory (and it's original) did NOT have the oil filler or cap painted. I also found out that the typical QN oil filler decal for my 72 that most repops sell is technically not right. The proper one is B/W and has another number below it. This is what is used to look like (also note; I didn't paint my rubber hose connection on the t-stat )
IMG_0906.jpg?t=1303766114

This is the proper filler label (sorry I have to post 2 pics to get all the details. It's the angles. I got 2 of these and have the maker/researcher on file) I don't have the proper tower clamps either. but you can also see the labeling on the top of the oil filter cap that I don't want to paint over. That cap is NOS GM and cost about 30 bucks.

IMG_0909.jpg?t=1303766266

IMG_0911.jpg?t=1303766288
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Allan,

I've owned my car for 32 years and my oil filler was painted the same colour as the block. I'm assuming that the original owner didn't paint the block and filler tube in the two and half years that he owned the car. I don't think every car came out the same. That may have been the plan, but I'm sure that's not what happened. My car is correct with the painted tube, and your is correct with the tube bare.

I've heard stories where Corvettes came down the assembly line and the guy putting on the driver side valve covers ran out of chromed one and installed painted ones. The other guy installed the chrome ones that he had. Now you have cars with one side chrome and the other painted. These cars are correct in that this is the way they came from the factory, although some will grab a book, point and say "WRONG!" Just like the books say a 455 from 68-72 will have casting 396021F while from 72-76 it will say 396021FA and we both know that is not correct.

I'm going to paint mine again when the block gets painted in the next few days.

Last edited by 442much; May 18th, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM

never saw a '72 with anti-sway bars in the engine compartment before...was that done at factory ?
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
never saw a '72 with anti-sway bars in the engine compartment before...was that done at factory ?
Those aren't anti sway bars. They are angle braces used to stiffen the fender. All 70-72 VC's have them. Why? Not sure. As far as was it done at the factory? Don't know, you'd have to ask Tom. I'm sure it was possible, as Ken points out (above) the intent was to have all cars built uniformly; who knows, someone might have put these in because they were bored or had a spare set that needed to be used?? I also have not seen the stiffeners in a Cutlass before. Good question though. Hope someone here will have an answer.
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:50 PM

oh

I guess I wasn't paying attention and didn't know it was a VC. Don't the braces do the same thing as sway bars ? Prevent twist ?

I've seen these in Shelby Mustangs and I thought that gang calls them sway bars. Am probably wrong tho.
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM

The waterpump to T-stat housing bypass hose was installed prior to engine paint so for it, and the clamps, to be painted is actually correct (even though it looks terrible IMO)
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM

I always wondered about the by-pass hose being painted blue. For those Canadians on board who have a Canadian 1972 Olds full line catalogue, look at page 42, - a fully dressed 455, and it shows a blue oil fill tube and cap and a blue thermostat by-pass hose. I agree with mmurphy77 it doesn't look great. I don't think I could bring myself to do it and everyone would think you messed up with the spray can.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Actually the pic in the brochure looks kind of impressive. So it would appear that a total blue paint job is just fine! Maybe tomorrow I'll scan the page and post it. It might help Ken with his clamp issue too.
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
I guess I wasn't paying attention and didn't know it was a VC. Don't the braces do the same thing as sway bars ? Prevent twist ?

I've seen these in Shelby Mustangs and I thought that gang calls them sway bars. Am probably wrong tho.
My 75 cutlass supreme has these too, they were stock