455 build up books or factory manuals, which ones?

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2010, 12:43 PM

455 build up books or factory manuals, which ones?

I am going to put a 455 in my '55 super 88. I haven't done so yet, but it will happen. I will also rebuild a motor to put in the car, so have been reading up extensively here and on other forums and anything I can find.

I will probably pick some of your collective brains about motor builds at a later date but for now I would like to absorb as much as I can.

I'm not a complete engine dummy, have been playing with flatheads for years and run a blown one in my roadster, but if nothing this has taught me that each engine seems to have its intricacies that you need to learn and understand to get the best out of it, and it has also taught me to read up on each motor before I turn a wrench and make a mistake.

The biggest issue I have had is finding books on the motors. I have searched here for 'specifications' 'manuals' etc with not a lot of luck.

I did find mention of one book which is

"Oldsmobile V8 engine modification and tuning guide"

Which I will buy.

So, are there any other books or webpages I have missed.

As I am newish to Olds if I was to buy a factory workshop manual that covered 455 motors is there any particular one that is a better option, such as say one for the 69 year cars or one coving 442 or W30?

basically want the torque specs and run out and end play numbers and just to know if there is any special sequence to bolt the motor together etc.

I don't know Olds that well to make the decision on which factory work shop manual, and as I live in Australia its going to cost me a fair wack just to get a shop manual here, so would like to buy the right one first time around.

So all opinions welcome!

Old February 14th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

The problem is that there isn't a factory manual for the 455. Olds covered the engine (and trans, brakes, electrical, etc) in the Chassis Service Manual for a given model year.
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks Joe,

I understand that was the case with workshop manuals, but was wondering if there was a specific year or model that would be better than another, such as 1969 442 as opposed to 1974 when the motors were smog motors?
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

The rebuild procedures, dimensions, and torque specs are pretty much the same for all years of 455 production (1968-1976). Personally I'd get a 1969 or 1970 manual as those years had the most variations of 455s among the model lineup, but if you happen to stumble across a 75 or 76 manual for cheap, that will be fine. The later years will have HEI instead of a points distributor, and the emissions equipment will be described, but if you are using non-stock distributor, intake, carb, and cam then it really doesn't matter.
Old February 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM

I am almost certain within the last year or two, Car Craft or Popular Hot Rodding built a 425. It may give you some ideas on an Olds build but again they did not spec it out for all to read.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks,

I have found a few build-ups on the net, but as you say, they leave just enough out that the info is all but useless. I am expecting that I will get most of the info from here as to what I end up doing build wise. but as for basics on specs and assembly etc. I guess a factory workshop manual will be the best go.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:29 PM

I believe the book you mentioned is written by Bob G (I always mispell his last name). It is a good book. You shouldn't need anything else besides a FSM and chassis manual for your particular car.