1967 425 in 80 GMC

Old June 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM

1967 425 in 80 GMC

New to the site FINALLY. Sure seems like alot of hoops to jump and waiting to get on board. Just have to tell a story how it came to be that I am interested in Olds now. I had a gf that had 73 Olds Omega with a 350. That was a long time ago. Wish I would have kept it now (the car, not her), and I have worked on a couple in the past, like a 68 Cutlass of my bro. I bought this 80 GMC truck for $200. It used to be diesel but had been converted back to gas using a 77-80 Olds 350. Read up on it, found out about windowed mains. I am not interested in keeping it I don't think. I belong to a truck forum that I did not have to jump through hoops to get online and respond and interact and been there ever since. Told a user about me wanting to change to a Chev 350 that I have sitting in the backyard awaiting a rebuild. He told me to look up the specs on the Olds 350 and I might want to keep it 350, just get a differant 350. So, he is right, the Olds 350 would be better than the Chev 350, but then I decided I may as well just go with any Olds Engine, like maybe even a 455 would be cool. Been keeping an eye out. I came across this motor and trans in a pasture. It was red, and I can tell by the width it was a big block. The trans still bolted to it, obviously a T400 with a tag of 67 OB. So I bought it knowing that the Trans would have the good sprags in it and I would not lose money. It turns out to be a 1967 425. Block ID 389244 D. Heads are 394 548 C. Intake is 4bbl #390390. There is a # of R151850 stamped on the front of the passenger side head. That is supposed to mean something but I don't know what. Can anyone help with that? Also the other cool new about the T400 is is a Variable Pitch trans. Got the 2 prongs on the kickdown, and the short stator with the groove behind it. I am aware of the 39 and 45 degree bank issue. It being red should be the least common 45 degree block. For some reason, by eye ball, it looks to me to be 39 degrees. The pushrod geometry is not straight out of the lifter to the rocker. So if it is 45, then 39 would be even worse on the angle I would think. At any rate, I am sold on this motor and trans, and I will taking out the Olds 350 and T350C and putting a truck threaded short tail shaft in the trans when rebuild it, and have a toggle switch pitch T400 with a 67 425. I am sure it will make a nice sleeper and certainly see some head scratching when the hood opens up. If anyone has info about the 425 I may not know, or any idea what the R151850 is, please feel free to reply and let me know. I guess there is no way to know what this came from originally? I know it has never been cracked open until I cracked it open. Sad to see the weather tooks its toll, but I can revive it. It has been sittiong out in that pasture for over 15 years that the lady knows of. Off topic a bit, I also got a 67 Pontiac 400 w T400 and a 74 Pontiac 400 with a T400.
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM

Here are a few pics of this sad side. No ridge in the cylinders and it looks very very light, faint crosshatching still available. I been told with the high nickel content, I could possibly just rering this motor and a valve job with hardened seats. I believe it now, but not sure I can hone all the rust from the cylinders. Oh well, forget the pics now. Obviously this site not pic friendly either. Sure hate getting off on the wrong foot, but this forum could sure use some improvments. Anyone able to tell me how to upload pics to this site, or it uploading to other foreign space the only way?
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM

Smile

Hey hotrodpc,
First off, welcome.

There was a serious spam problem a while back. As you can imagine, this is generally a new user issue. To prevent it, the newbie forum was opened, with a requirement for 5 posts (to prove you are a human, and not a spambot) prior to full site access. Just make another couple quick posts, then you will be on your way. People here are very friendly in general, and you will probably like the site as you go along.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome CW. I hope it gets eaiser. The other truck forum I belong is a great place. Lots of good people, info and always someone willing to help. I am hopeful this is sorta the same here.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM

Smile

You'll find it will be. The site was just getting hit with a few gazillion **** spams a day, and had to get it under control.
2 more posts and you are free to roam.

Just post up some more about your engine choice in 2 separate posts. They don't have to be answered. You just need to get to 5.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:36 PM

Thanks again, but yes I do have more questions about the motor. Hopefully, and I am sure there is, some 425 old Olds guru's around. I am just hoping this motor can be saved. I have plenty of pics of it and cylinders to get other opinions about it. Although I was actually looking for a 455, I tripped over this 425, and now glad I did. I am looking forward to reviving it.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM

This post should make #5 now, and hopefully proves I am a human. Sometimes, I wonder myself, but I think I am a human.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:48 PM

Posting 425 Pics

Here are the pics of the 425 I bought. Maybe some opinions on its condition would be great. Obviously needs a hottank bath in a severe way. That isn't going to get the rust out of the cylinders though. Anyone have any ideas what I can put in the cylinders to soak them? This motor is seized of course, and I hope to get it apart without doing any damage to the cylinders, pistons, rods or crank. Somone ought to be shot for allowing this to happen. The other Pontiac 400's are the same way too as expected. I did get the transmisisons off of theses, but not the torque converters since the motors would not turn over. Also maybe someone can tell by looking at the valley is this is a 45 degree motor for sure. It does NOT have the drill spot. But it almost appears to be a 39 degree angle to me. Doing an imaginary line, does not appear to be a 45 degree angle, but all I have read says it will be a 45 degree motor which is fine, I just want to be sure and get the right cam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds425_33b.jpg (105.5 KB, 34 views)
Olds425_37b.jpg (106.1 KB, 36 views)
Olds425_50b.jpg (79.1 KB, 27 views)
Olds425_55b.jpg (116.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by hotrodpc; June 1st, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Past Administrator

First, welcome to CO! neat engine you have there. Second, and this is for everyone that may not be aware; we recently changed the wait requirement to only two posts and the first day but regardless you are already there. I am moving your thread to the "big block" forum.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:00 PM

Cool, thanks. Yeah, it will be a real neat engine if I can revive it from the issues of sitting outside in a pasture for over 15 years. Its OK though, I did not get hurt financially on it. It also came with the attatched switch (variable) pitch Turbo 400 with all the good sprags also.