425 head gasket

Old March 4th, 2017, 04:41 PM

425 head gasket

I am taking the heads off my engine to clean them and inspect the pistons. I am trying to keep this engine as stock as possible. If I use a fel-pro and it's thicker will I have to change out push rods to longer ones? Or is there a gasket that is stock specs?
Old March 4th, 2017, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by wyocutlass
I am taking the heads off my engine to clean them and inspect the pistons. I am trying to keep this engine as stock as possible. If I use a fel-pro and it's thicker will I have to change out push rods to longer ones? Or is there a gasket that is stock specs?
The pushrods won't notice the difference.
Old March 4th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Thank you
Old March 4th, 2017, 06:59 PM

One more question I'm looking at the gaskets and trying to figure which to order. There are some that are bore 4.250, 4.230, 4.155, 4.200 etc etc. Which bore should I use and is there any compressed thickness I should stay around? The engine is completely stock.
Old March 5th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why not just have the heads decked 0.030" - that way the heads will stay in the same position, and there will be no change in compression ratio.

- Eric
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:15 AM

The compression is already 10.5 to 1 so if it lowers a little by putting a thicker gasket then I am fine with that. Hard to find gasoline that will work with that compression where I live.
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Perfect solution, then.

Your actual compression (as opposed to nominal) is probably somewhere between 10:1 and 10.25:1, and the head gasket change would probably knock it down to about 9.4:1 - 9.7:1.

- Eric
Old March 6th, 2017, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
The pushrods won't notice the difference.
No, but the rocker arms might notice when they start rattling around because the pushrods are now too short. If the engine is "completely stock," that means he doesn't have adjustable rocker arms. The stock rocker arm set up only works if all of the other components are stock -- including the head gaskets. Will the raising of the head 20 - 30 mils with the FelPro gaskets really make the rocker arms loose? Maybe not; it depends on how worn all the components are. But even if they aren't loose, you will lose preload on the lifters.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BlackGold
No, but the rocker arms might notice when they start rattling around because the pushrods are now too short. If the engine is "completely stock," that means he doesn't have adjustable rocker arms. The stock rocker arm set up only works if all of the other components are stock -- including the head gaskets. Will the raising of the head 20 - 30 mils with the FelPro gaskets really make the rocker arms loose? Maybe not; it depends on how worn all the components are. But even if they aren't loose, you will lose preload on the lifters.
This is true, but the reality is that I've done a few valve jobs on Olds motors and replacing the stock steel shim head gaskets with FelPro gaskets has never caused a problem.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:49 AM

I like, and stockpiled, the Corteco 55661 which is .028" thick vs. .040" for the Fel Pro. The steel shims are probably .017" thick.
Old March 7th, 2017, 03:07 PM

One of the problems with working on 50-year-old cars is that very few of us know if an engine is really "completely stock." How many owners came before you? How do you know a previous owner didn't have a valve job done, sinking the valves a little deeper into the heads and/or using valves with slightly different stem length? How do you know the cam wasn't replaced with one with a smaller base circle? This kind of stuff affects the required pushrod length. Bottom line, if you bolt it all back together and get proper lifter preload, great! But don't be surprised if you don't.
Old March 7th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BlackGold
One of the problems with working on 50-year-old cars is that very few of us know if an engine is really "completely stock." How many owners came before you? How do you know a previous owner didn't have a valve job done, sinking the valves a little deeper into the heads and/or using valves with slightly different stem length? How do you know the cam wasn't replaced with one with a smaller base circle? This kind of stuff affects the required pushrod length. Bottom line, if you bolt it all back together and get proper lifter preload, great! But don't be surprised if you don't.
That's an excellent point, since the heads are usually off for a valve job, which pretty much includes milling the mating surface of the head (and thus at least partially negating the extra thickness of the FelPro gaskets).