Oil Leak on the Move!

Old February 7th, 2017, 05:46 AM
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

Oil Leak on the Move!

So after switching to non-synthetic oil and doing an oil change, the leak on my 455 more or less stopped from the rear main seal. I now however have a heavy leak coming off my oil filter (2 big puddles after ~1hr). On the last oil change I didn't change filters, but I did take it off to drain it and then put it back on. Only started leaking when I took the car out on the road last weekend and drove it around probably longer than it had been driven in about a year. Anyways, using conventional oil, what causes this kind of leak? My dad put in gasket sealer without telling me but that hasn't worked either. Engine runs about 10psi once warmed up which is way down to what it used to be a few months ago, on startup gets around 50-60 psi.
Old February 7th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Are you sure that you don't have two oil filter gaskets (one left behind from the old filter, or that the gasket isn't kinked?

Also, did you say that you removed and replaced the same filter? You're not supposed to do that - they're only designed to seal once.

- Eric
Old February 7th, 2017, 06:34 AM
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Are you sure that you don't have two oil filter gaskets (one left behind from the old filter, or that the gasket isn't kinked?

Also, did you say that you removed and replaced the same filter? You're not supposed to do that - they're only designed to seal once.

- Eric
Ya didn't realize they were one time use only. Will replace later today.
Old February 7th, 2017, 11:35 AM

For what they cost, I would just replace the oil filter. That should take care of it. Like Eric said, make sure the gasket come off with it!