Oil problems with 03 Auroras?

Old August 8th, 2015, 06:44 PM

Oil problems with 03 Auroras?

I just picked up an 03 aurora and it drives out fine and has good oil pressure while driving but after warming up, the oil pressure drops to where the warning light comes on. At speed its registering between 38 and 42 but drops to 5 at idle. Any ideas? Thanks
Old October 8th, 2015, 07:35 PM

Oil Pressure

I have owned two these things and am glad I sold at least one of them. One of my friends has a quote that sums it up best about Aurora's:

"Except for the Buick Reatta, the Oldsmobile Aurora is the biggest peice of junk General Motors ever made."

But to address your problem. These cars seem to have low oil pressure at an idle. I had the same problem on both mine. Scares you to death.

I replaced the oil sending unit and it went out. Try and get a Delco unit. I also had trouble with the "engine oil level low" light coming on all the time despite the dipstick saying it was full. Changed out that sensor with an Echlin from Napa and it was better, but still came on too often. I went to the dealer and got a GM sender and all has been well with that now.

Aurora electronics are very picky. When it comes to sensors, try and use a GM part.

Below is a picture of how you will find an Aurora most of the time when the owner is too stupid to stop spending money on it. BTW: I had to put a radiator in it just today.

I am sorry to hear about your Aurora purchase. I only wish you had bought mine, instead.

Good luck and please post back here with what you did to fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Aurora on chrome wheels.jpg (2.98 MB, 44 views)
Old January 17th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Forward into the Past

I had the same problem with my '95 Aurora and I never fully solved it. I finally donated the car to my local public radio station last month. The best I could manage was to keep 10W-40 oil in it and only drive the car in cooler weather (below about 65 degrees). In doing some online research, this seems to be a common problem with Northstar and related engines. I read a thread about it on a Northstar forum and the suggested fix was to run Rotella oil in it and hope for the best.