02 Alero, suspect fuel pump failure

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2015, 11:21 AM

02 Alero, suspect fuel pump failure

Odd set of events. Low power to start the car so I inspect the battery electrolyte level and find a dry cell. It's a 7 year old Autolite battery and replacement was due.

Prior to checking the battery the car had intermittent periods where it was difficult to start. 2 or 3 cranks to fire up. Other days, no problem.

Now the car -had- a bum battery and would not fire ... almost but no go.

I'm going to rent the fuel pressure tester at Autozone. I don't have a Factory Service Manual so if anyone knows the standard pressure I'd appreciate a shout.

I'm wondering if that bad battery could have affected the fuel pump?? Anyway, we'll see after reading the pressure.
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:16 PM

Unbelievable ... running better than before. I found this item @ oldsmobileforums.com

Originally Posted by Alerofun
Now on to what the real problem was. It was the fuel pump. I had someone try to start the car while I was banging on the gas tank with a dead blow hammer. After a minute of this the car started. I guess the fuel pump was stuck and this freed it up. The thing to know about doing this is that the fuel pump only gets power when someone is cranking the engine, or for about 2 seconds when the key is turned to the on position. The tapping on the gas tank seems to do no good when there is no power going to the pump. So if you need to try this, do it when someone is in the car cranking the engine. END OF QUOTE

What did I have to lose? I tried it and I'll be damned if it didn't fire right up. Light taps with a rubber mallet to the bottom of the fuel tank.

The condition has only occurred with 1/4 tank of fuel or less. Looking into bum gas, sediment ....

Old June 10th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Justin

Replace the pump!
You don't want it to die when you need it

Also 50-60psi fuel pressure if I recall correctly for that car
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Shoveling Snow

Take a look at the fuel pressure regulator and see if it is leaking in the vacuum hose.
Each of my boys had one and displayed the same symptoms. Pressure regulator fixed the problem.
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I will check the FPR. Since the "fix" there has not been a single issue and no dash lights.
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:51 AM
Administrator

Banging on the fuel tank is basically the same principle as whacking a starter that won't start with a BFH. Its on its last leg and will fail at the least opportune moment Time to replace.
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:48 AM

I have no doubt that it is lying in wait for that inopportune moment to fail.

130,000 miles and countless combined hours of idling in her 14 years there is not a lot to complain about with this car.

Segue ... did the BFH ever work for you on a starter? Never worked for me.
Old June 17th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Many times, as a kid with limited $$'s I kept one going for 6 months until a cold rainy day in the middle of winter.
Old June 17th, 2015, 11:43 AM

those old Pontiacs from the 60's I used to drive had starter failure on 389's and 326's regularly. Hammer never worked and it was almost always the solenoid. I'm betting you've seen one or 2 yourself with that Cutlass.