02 Alero Brake Lights Failure

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2014, 04:49 PM

02 Alero Brake Lights Failure

Center unit lights up with brake pedal depressed but the L & R brake lights are dark on pedal depression.

Changed the 20 AMP fuse and no remedy.

Ideas?
Old April 20th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Lansing built

Is there power or 12 volts present at socket? Did they both go dead at the same time?

Pat
Old April 20th, 2014, 05:05 PM

Both went out together. No power to sockets.
Old April 20th, 2014, 05:18 PM

Just disconnected the center brake light and reconnected. Still works, no change to L & R brake lights.
Old April 20th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Check your Cruise control fuse. I read on another forum that it provides power to the brake lights. Do your running lights work or are they dead too? Keep in mind that the CC won't power up by turning it on - it has a safety feature that keeps it off until speeds over 25 mph.
Old April 20th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I just found this at the ALLDATA DIY.com
The brake light switch on your vehicle sends power to the third/high mount brake light and branches off to power both brake light assemblies. The brake light circuit also sends a signal to the cruise control, anti-lock brake and vehicle computer systems. If all bulbs are good, I would suggest checking for electrical power to the brake light assemblies at the rear of the vehicle. You’ll find a 4 wire connector going to each rear light assembly. The wire for the brake lights will be a light blue wire, which will be found in both connectors. Don’t confuse this with the light blue wire with a black tracer on the left side or the dark blue on the right side light assembly; these wires are for the turn signals. If you don’t have power at these points then follow the wiring harness back and be on the look-out for damage or a connector that has a wire pulling out of it.
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Thanks for posting that info. Alas, darkness fell and we are through for the night.

The cruise control fuse checked (right fuse panel) and it's fine.

Center brake light still works and all running lights are good as well, it's just an issue for the L & R Brake Lights. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Tried to force a ground with a tap and a wire, no solution. I'm sure the ground is good so perhaps a package in the boot knocked a connection loose. This could give me hours and hours of carefree fun.

Or not

Last edited by The Roadmaster; April 20th, 2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:07 PM

Just as info, I ran across this earlier:

http://www.justanswer.com/oldsmobile...ke-lights.html
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Okee dokee, tomorrow is another day. Have voltmeter will travel...
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:25 PM

Yes, and hope that I don't have to get this old back contorting for position under the dash.

At worse case I'm thinking splice from center to L & R if I can't find the issue.

Providing it's not -20 F as well.
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ahhh, bad ground wire.... That was a really long read to get that. You good with doing that repair? Sounds pretty easy.
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:35 PM

Here's why I think it's other than a bad ground. It's a Colorado car and everything is clean clean. So I really want to remedy the issue rather than patch it up.

As far as doing the patch up I'm only concerned about tapping the right wires to match the L & R sockets.

Before I do anything I'll post my intention and you can check my thinking before I start tapping.

Last edited by The Roadmaster; April 20th, 2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old April 20th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Write down the voltages you should get at both the under dash locations. Review what you need to do before you get stuck under the dash.

Do you by any chance have a 2002 Alero Service Manuals? I didn't realize they were so pricey but they may be worth getting for future use?? Then again - everything so far has been free and found on the web....

In case you're interested: Alero Service manuals (I think they get book rate for shipping USPS)
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:05 PM

So, I'm half way home now ... the outer brake lights work.

Here's a question. Not a dumb question but the timing could be considered dumb.

The large red pods on the deck lid have a bulb in each, L/R. My daughter changed them out and I'm not sure they are the right bulbs.

In the decklid tailight pods there are 2 wires to the sockets. I'm inclined to think that the decklid pods are not brake lights and have a dual filament bulb in there by error.

If anyone has a quick answer stating how many "brake lights" there are across the back I may very well be done. If it's just the 2 outer and the center light on the spoiler I've completed the task. If the 2 pods on the deck lid are brake lights as well ( making it 4 bulbs) then I have more work to do to illuminate the center ones.

BTW, I'm just a dad doing dad's work on a car I'm not real familiar with. Thanks
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by The Roadmaster
So, I'm half way home now ... the outer brake lights work.

Here's a question. Not a dumb question but the timing could be considered dumb.

The large red pods on the deck lid have a bulb in each, L/R. My daughter changed them out and I'm not sure they are the right bulbs.

In the decklid tailight pods there are 2 wires to the sockets. I'm inclined to think that the decklid pods are not brake lights and have a dual filament bulb in there by error.

If anyone has a quick answer stating how many "brake lights" there are across the back I may very well be done. If it's just the 2 outer and the center light on the spoiler I've completed the task. If the 2 pods on the deck lid are brake lights as well ( making it 4 bulbs) then I have more work to do to illuminate the center ones.

BTW, I'm just a dad doing dad's work on a car I'm not real familiar with. Thanks
Your quest is done, I got mine out today for a run, and had my wife watch them. Only the outer or quarter panel pods light up with brake depressed and of course the CMSL.

Pat
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:24 PM

Thanks Pat. We looked far and wide for a passing Alero and could not find one. See them everywhere now but trying to find one when we needed an answer was impossible.

Here is where I was misled. My daughter changed out the 2 decklid pods with 2 filament bulbs. Not knowing this I thought the decklid pods were brakes as well. Changed out the 2 quarter panel pods and they worked fine.

Watched another Alero stop at a light and knew I was done. 2 days after replacing bulbs.

Again, thanks for getting back.