Need complete wiring schematic

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Need complete wiring schematic

Where can I find a complete wiring diagram/schematic for a 1984 Olds 88 Royale Brougham, with a 307 cu in engine, and power everything???
I may need it for other wiring problems I encounter, besides the one below.

The original radio was removed and a non-OEM radio was put in it's place. The power antenna doesn't work, probably due to the radio x-change and maybe this problem?
In the engine compartment, on top of the passenger fender well by the hood hinge is a 3 wire (green, yellow, & brown) male/female connector that is unplugged, is that for the power antenna?
The inside of the female end is green with corrosion. After I clean it and it still looks bad, I'll just cut the connectors off and join the same color wires with crimp connectors.
I understand Olds had some problems with the power antennas, maybe this one does to, that's why it was disconnected.

Pre-Thanks for any/all help given.
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Oldsdruid

Your best bet will be a 1984 Oldsmobile Electrical Troubleshooting Manual- the factory publication. The wiring on these cars had gotten very complicated by that time and the factory service writers decided to break it down into individual component wiring diagrams rather than the full-car ones used earlier.

I don't like the brokedown style as well, but it has its advantages.

You can probably find this manual on ebay for cheap, unless the 84 Hurst/Olds crowd have driven up the price on it.
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldroyale
I understand Olds had some problems with the power antennas, maybe this one does to, that's why it was disconnected.
All GM power antennas of that vintage are the same and have the same problem. A heavy plastic cord (think weed eater) runs up the inside of the mast. The power antenna motor pushes the mast up and pulls it down with this cord. The cord eventually breaks and the motor continues to run, which is why it's disconnected. You can replace the mast and cord (still available from GM), or you can just replace the whole antenna. The 1986-up FWD H-body cars use the same power antenna and it's trunk-mounted so that it's easy to remove at the wrecking yard. My local yard gets $15 for one. The new mast is over twice that much from GM. Your call. The problem is that the fender needs to come off to change the antenna on your 84.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Yeah it's a pain in the ****! My 85 Toro has the same problem. The antenna is up and the lady I bought it from said it didn't work right. Well after looking under the hood, I noticed too that the cords were unplugged. So of course I plugged them in and it just kept running. I need to replace the mast as well...I think you can access it too by just removing the wheel well cover...at least you can on my car, not sure about the Delta 88.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM

I'm new here, but I just ordered one of these for my 1970 442 tribute

http://www.classiccarwiring.com/

I just found it tonight. Much better then stock diagrams IMHO.
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:45 AM

Smile SHOPPING

The Barrie Flea Market is comming up in June and you can buy all the manuals you can carry...Rob Clarke is one of the Lit vendors...get a chassis manual as well as the electrical manual...you are in the right spot for the antenna problem, the antenna goes up and down automatically with the key on and off so when it breaks down it is easier to unplug it!!!
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
I'm new here, but I just ordered one of these for my 1970 442 tribute

http://www.classiccarwiring.com/

I just found it tonight. Much better then stock diagrams IMHO.
So you're saying this aftermarket company knows more about the cars than the people who engineered and built them? Have you ever seen a real factory shop manual Olds wiring diagram?
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:41 AM

If you are careful, you can remove and install the unit by removing the fender and inner fender bolts and pulling the fender bottom out and blocking it with a chunk of wood. You want enough room to work but surely do not pull hard enough to distort the fender.

BTW, what is a GM "H" body? I would like to have a spare for my '86.

I had this type of antenna just break on my 97 Caddy but it was in the trunk and easier to get at. I got one from a 95 at the yard for 15 bucks.
When searching the yards, look for an antenna that is all the way down and gently try to pull the mast out, IF the top is exposed on that model - it should not extend. This will help you score a working one at a yard.

For those thinking replace the cord with weedeater cord, it does not last long...
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:09 AM

HTML Code:
 BTW, what is a GM "H" body? I would like to have a spare for my '86. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_H_platform_(FWD)
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
So you're saying this aftermarket company knows more about the cars than the people who engineered and built them? Have you ever seen a real factory shop manual Olds wiring diagram?
No, that isn't what I'm saying.
How you interpreted it that way I'm totally baffled......

I thought it was pretty obvious, that this company took the ORIGINAL wiring
schematics, and just made them EASIER to read with a colorful diagram and
images showing engine components.

Stick with your oldies but goodies if you're happy with them.
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Oldsdruid

Every Olds factory chassis manual since at least 1953 (that's as far as my manuals go back) includes a full color wiring diagram that include major components, wire gage sizes, and wire orientation in all connectors.

How you interpreted it that way I'm totally baffled......
Maybe it was your phrasing...

Much better then stock diagrams IMHO.
Kinda hard to get better wiring charts than what Oldsmobile Division published. Admittedly not all GM Divisions went to that trouble.
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM

My phrasing never eluded to them knowing more about Oldsmobiles.
I clearly said they are just easier to read.

I was just stating my opinion, which is what IMHO means.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 26th, 2009 at 04:07 PM.