What type of paint is used on license plates.

Old May 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM

What type of paint is used on license plates.

I want to restore some old plates from 1967 to put on...does anyone know what kind of paint is used for license plates.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Oldsdruid

Standard enamel as far as I know, since back then you got new plates every year instead of a decal to put on existing plates. If you can get the color mixed in IMRON or an epoxy based paint it will last a while.

We were lucky here. Vajenya used white on black background even years, and black on white background odd years. Easy restoration. NC used school bus yellow and black so theirs are pretty easy to restore too.

You can usually find NOS plates still in their wrapper for most states and years. The DMV's often sold them off to license plate dealers when they were cleaning house. I got most of my Virginia plates from a guy in Altavista who went by "Tag Man" at swap meets. He died in 1998 though.

If your state's plates are special colors, you'll need a good sample for the paint guy to mix it for you. Most good paint suppliers can mix you a spray bomb. Paint the background, then get a wide rubber roller to apply the othe rcolor to the raised areas.
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Geezer

There really is no definitive answer to the question as the various States used different paints from one another and even different paints from one year to the next. Some states have used reflective paint on the Letters and Numbers for years while others may not have. In many cases what appears to be white reflective letters and numbers the color is actually a very light green, blue or even yellow.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Guess I should have said Texas and 67 plates were white with black letters.
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Cut-67
Guess I should have said Texas and 67 plates were white with black letters.
Well believe it or not Texas never used "white." Looks white but it isn't. It's actually a light, light shade of green. The "Black" is also a green. A very, very, dark green. The '58 Texas plates I have on my Mercury and the '62 plates on my Starfire are the reverse of what you have. In those days Texas alternated the colors. Even years had the dark background with light letters, odd years the reverse. All the other older than dirt Texans will remember all registration renewals took place in January and you got a new set of plates each year. All plates were produced by inmates in the Texas Department of Corrections.