General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

67 442 w30

Old October 14th, 2013, 07:05 AM

67 442 w30

Just got a pretty nice 67 W30...missing alot of key parts,Engine & trans, air cleaner, battery box. Thought I might ask opinions as to which way might be the best to go with this build. I was thinking towards an LS engine & 4l60 trans for driveability. I'll get some pics up tonight or tomorrow as soon as I get a chance to download some pics. The PO had the car for 40 years. Minimal rust, original paint, only 1 repair on the pass rear quarter.
Old October 14th, 2013, 07:17 AM

Go back to original....I beg you.
Old October 14th, 2013, 07:24 AM

Yeah, sell it and buy a normal 442 for less if you want to make one a driver.
Old October 14th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you have to put a vanilla 455 in it to get it going, go ahead and do that. Being a W30 and being able to trace the ownership, this is a car you should eventually restore. If you use an Olds engine it is easy to restore. If you go the LS route that would not be the case. LS engines are great but I don't think that is the answer for this car. Just my opinion but I think a lot other people will agree. We would love to have some pictures of the car.
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:04 AM

The Ls route wouldn't even be an option in my mind. I'm not a #'s match guy or even a 442 guy but I do like to see the carpet match the drapes guy. At least put an Oldsmobile engine in it. If your not going to restore it to original you should probably sell it to get the most value. Jmo, Ken
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 76 SS
Just got a pretty nice 67 W30...missing alot of key parts,Engine & trans, air cleaner, battery box. Thought I might ask opinions as to which way might be the best to go with this build. I was thinking towards an LS engine & 4l60 trans for driveability. I'll get some pics up tonight or tomorrow as soon as I get a chance to download some pics. The PO had the car for 40 years. Minimal rust, original paint, only 1 repair on the pass rear quarter.
One of 502 1967 W-30s and you want to put a belly-button LS motor in it???

Step away from the car!

Seriously. Sell the W-30 to someone who cares, buy a 67 Cutlass, and pocket the difference.
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM

I kinda thought since it was missing so many key parts, just build it & drive it. I'm a paint & body guy & this thing is pretty solid so getting it looking good will be easy. Another 4k in bumpers & interrior & a few odds & ends & it'll be sweet. I know it's rare & I'd like to see it put back stock. Maybe before I get too attached somebody with a clone will want the real deal to put all the hard to find parts in & make a really valuable car. It only has 69k original miles. The guy was pretty hard on it back in the day & it was always broken. It sat outside for ten years, but inside his shop for the last 15. Now disabled he finally realized it needs to go to somebody that can fix it back up. I'd love it if somebody with a decent W30 clone wanted to trade bodys lol. It's black & had a black vinyl top & red interrior, 4 speed, buckets & console. It looks rough as hell, but it's solid & has alot of potential.
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
504, Joe. But none the less.
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:21 AM

X6... if you want to build a custom car get a common Cutlass, Chevelle, Skylark or some other body style you like. Even missing major parts, you should be able to sell the W30 and purchase something else in better shape than what you've got.

If your anywhere close to the Pacific Northwest I'll swap you a solid project car plus some cash to spend on it.

John
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
X6... if you want to build a custom car get a common Cutlass, Chevelle, Skylark or some other body style you like. Even missing major parts, you should be able to sell the W30 and purchase something else in better shape than what you've got.

If your anywhere close to the Pacific Northwest I'll swap you a solid project car plus some cash to spend on it.

John
I'm in north central arkansas, but as of right now it's still on the trailer lol
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:33 AM

Well, if you'd consider selling it and getting something else please post some pictures for us. If shipping to the West Coast adds too much to the costs maybe a member closer to you would be willing to work out a deal with you.

John
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Pics are in the works. I don't have a fancy phone, so my wife is sending them to my email & I'll have some up shortly. I don't think I got any pics of the battery cable grommets going through the drain plugs in the trunk, but there are some of the faded red fenderwells.
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:39 AM

Thank you. If you have any problems posting the pictures let us know and we'll help.

John
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:47 AM

Just got a pretty nice 67 W30...missing alot of key parts,Engine & trans, air cleaner, battery box.... The PO had the car for 40 years. Minimal rust, original paint, only 1 repair on the pass rear quarter.
Assuming that real W30 parts are not going to fall into your lap....
Trans- Any TH400 will do
Engine- Get a 425, readily available. Change casting ID to E400 for more factory look.
Heads- C castings are readily available. Stamp what it should say into the front of one. Voila' it looks correct. Intakes are readily available, one on epay right now.
Battery box- trunk mounted? fabricate something close to original.

That leaves an air cleaner and scoops as the main missing parts. For a real car, you may pry loose a real air cleaner. There's one on epay right now, minor flaws. Scoops you can maybe get from Mike S. Worst case, fabricate some out of fiberglass.

Doesn't seem that tough to me. Having a legit W30 *may* get folks to come up off real W30 parts for it, making some of the above fakery unnecessary. I'd still want a 425 in it. Even if it's a stock E block bored out.

I have a spare E block, but it has issues.
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Assuming that real W30 parts are not going to fall into your lap....
Trans- Any TH400 will do
Engine- Get a 425, readily available. Change casting ID to E400 for more factory look.
Heads- C castings are readily available. Stamp what it should say into the front of one. Voila' it looks correct. Intakes are readily available, one on epay right now.
Battery box- trunk mounted? fabricate something close to original.

That leaves an air cleaner and scoops as the main missing parts. For a real car, you may pry loose a real air cleaner. There's one on epay right now, minor flaws. Scoops you can maybe get from Mike S. Worst case, fabricate some out of fiberglass.

Doesn't seem that tough to me. Having a legit W30 *may* get folks to come up off real W30 parts for it, making some of the above fakery unnecessary. I'd still want a 425 in it. Even if it's a stock E block bored out.

I have a spare E block, but it has issues.

Scoops are intact, just missing the air cleaner...got a link to that air cleaner?
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:06 AM

Found the auction for the air cleaner...950 & a week to go...
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:12 AM

Smile 67 w-#0

Scoops are intact, just missing the air cleaner...got a link to that air cleaner?

I HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO MAKE YOUR W 30 CAR A REAL NUMBER MATCHING CAR. -- INCLUDING ORIGINAL MOTOR, WOG TRANS, TYPE P 3.90 POSI REAR , AND OAI SHROUD! I MEAN EVERYTHING TOO!

I own a real W-30 car that all the stuff is in --- My car needs rebodied -

If you have a good usable body and frame --- then you can have the real deal with a "one-stop" shopping trip with me!!
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM

What body/trans/seat combo does this car have? I am assuming it was an automatic and not 4 speed?

Post coupe or hardtop? Bench or buckets? auto or 4 speed ? console or no?

will look forward to pix? Get a good pic of the cowl tag too!
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

Step away from the car!

Seriously. Sell the W-30 to someone who cares, buy a 67 Cutlass, and pocket the difference.
X2 Joe!!
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:23 AM

Found the auction for the air cleaner...950 & a week to go...
That one is probably too "cobbed up" for an original restoration. It has all those holes in it that would need repaired and then it would need rechromed to the tune of about $900 -- that's what I paid for the last rechrome job I had done.
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
What body/trans/seat combo does this car have? I am assuming it was an automatic and not 4 speed?

Post coupe or hardtop? Bench or buckets? auto or 4 speed ? console or no?

will look forward to pix? Get a good pic of the cowl tag too!

It is a bucket console 4 speed....I have the pics....do I need to upload them to photobucket or something?
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
That one is probably too "cobbed up" for an original restoration. It has all those holes in it that would need repaired and then it would need rechromed to the tune of about $900 -- that's what I paid for the last rechrome job I had done.
heh
we have different definition of "need" I guess

I'd be happy to run that air cleaner just like it is
well, replace the chrome lid to lose that hokeyass "455" emblem.

It'd be just "a" '67 W30 instead of the "The Ultimate" '67 W30.

op- above man has all the stuff you need.
Voila'.
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:57 AM

photo1_zps6ab52840.jpg
image14_zpsf5913f6c.jpeg
image13_zpsa92ee72a.jpeg
image11_zpsd0852bd2.jpeg
image12_zps4eeea807.jpeg
image10_zpsc4c45167.jpeg
The crowning as it comes out of it's resting place
image9_zps01315baf.jpeg
Old October 14th, 2013, 10:33 AM

Yep I would be restoring that one to original. Really a rare car to find and be able to trace its history. Looks pretty solid from the pictures you posted. Nothing too hard fo ra body man. :-) Good Luck will be watching this one.
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:04 PM

Thumbs up

a little motivation & built the same week (although this one is supposed to have a white vinyl top) - restore to stock!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
338177M270101.jpg (63.4 KB, 77 views)
338177M270101-int1.jpg (43.8 KB, 71 views)
338177M270101-comp.jpg (60.0 KB, 74 views)
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
a little motivation & built the same week (although this one is supposed to have a white vinyl top) - restore to stock!!
That's nice! Same exact setup & color combo except mine had a black vinyl top
Old October 15th, 2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
504, Joe. But none the less.
Kurt

Were the extra two cars discovered the two that were built in January? I had one of the January built cars and it was black/red with shoulder harness's. It also had a 4.11 rear instead of a 3.55/3.90/4.33.
Old October 15th, 2013, 07:41 AM

As most have said this car deserves to be brought back to correctness and since this is an Olds site you are hitting a nerve at the thought of a Chebby engine in there. There are no unobtainable parts for that car being either repro or original. You may have to wait for them to come along or pay dearly for them but they are out there.
Old October 15th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Kurt

Were the extra two cars discovered the two that were built in January? I had one of the January built cars and it was black/red with shoulder harness's. It also had a 4.11 rear instead of a 3.55/3.90/4.33.
Mike, I don't know because I don't know the monthly breakdown of the 502. I'm guessing that the one made in June was one of the 2, but I have no way of knowing.
We do know that of the 502, 129 were posts and 373 were hardtops. But don't know if the extra 2 are hardtops or posts. The production report I pulled these from only identifies the options by series, in this case 3800, which includes both 3807 and 3817.
Also don't have a breakdown by transmission for '67 W30s.
Attached Files
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Mike, I don't know because I don't know the monthly breakdown of the 502. I'm guessing that the one made in June was one of the 2, but I have no way of knowing.
We do know that of the 502, 129 were posts and 373 were hardtops. But don't know if the extra 2 are hardtops or posts. The production report I pulled these from only identifies the options by series, in this case 3800, which includes both 3807 and 3817.
Kurt

OK,that's fine. I just thought that with the extra two cars they might have been January built but it looks like there were four built in January. I was under the impression that only two were built in January. I wonder where the 502 figure came from? was it Hellen Early? When you found this document @ the Heritage Center,was the first time the 504 figure was known?

Thanks

Mike
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:46 AM

Kurt

OK,that's fine. I just thought that with the extra two cars they might have been January built but it looks like there were four built in January. I was under the impression that only two were built in January.
Which may be where the additional 2 came from. Can't be sure from this.

I wonder where the 502 figure came from? was it Hellen Early?
I'd guess so.

When you found this document @ the Heritage Center,was the first time the 504 figure was known?
Yes, as far as I know.

To beat a dead horse, but for others following this, these numbers were not an exact science. Different figures came from different places. Some with reason (like were exports included?) and some not. The reports I'm referring to are off of "computer" reports on green and white tractor paper. Yet I found "math errors" where some of the totals are not correct for what they should be based on that very report.
So "absolute" is not always a realistic result. We have to hang our hat on the best information available and understand where the info came from and how *relatively* reliable it is.
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Which may be where the additional 2 came from. Can't be sure from this.

I'd guess so.

Yes, as far as I know.

To beat a dead horse, but for others following this, these numbers were not an exact science. Different figures came from different places. Some with reason (like were exports included?) and some not. The reports I'm referring to are off of "computer" reports on green and white tractor paper. Yet I found "math errors" where some of the totals are not correct for what they should be based on that very report.
So "absolute" is not always a realistic result. We have to hang our hat on the best information available and understand where the info came from and how *relatively* reliable it is.
I completely understand and that's why I always say keep an open mind about these cars and other things too.

Thanks Again
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:45 AM

As for the Auto trans -- it is believed to be less than 130 WOG automatics?

#129 has been the highest number documented so far? I had #62 and now have #119.

Its been rumored that there were about 13 #33807's (post coupe) with TH400 WOG !

Last edited by Chesrown 67 OAI; October 15th, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:46 AM

"As most have said this car deserves to be brought back to correctness and since this is an Olds site you are hitting a nerve at the thought of a Chebby engine in there. There are no unobtainable parts for that car being either repro or original. You may have to wait for them to come along or pay dearly for them but they are out there."
===========================================

Well said.
Keep it correct[ish]

red inner fenders, damn.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:05 AM

I know it's rare & I'd like to sell or trade because I won't put it back to original. I've got a couple other paint jobs in the works & in a couple months I'll be able to start on this one. I'll do the body & interrior first & since it's already set up for a small block & I have several laying around it'll prolly get one so I can drive it. I can hear every body groaning, but I build them to drive & if it's in my posession I will drive it. Maybe you can sleep good tonight knowing the body & interrior will be put back to original specs & the next owner can put all the Olds drive train in it.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:13 AM
car guy

I'm the last person on this site to be called a purrest but IMO you are crazy to do anything other than sell it as is. There are people that will pay a lot of money for it and the more original and untouched it is the better you will do. Put an ad on here and 442.com with lots of detailed pictures. Sell it and build another car like you want it.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM

since it's already set up for a small block & I have several laying around it'll prolly get one so I can drive it.
Well your car, your call but being already setup for a Chevy small block.... all you are talking here is the frame mounts. Probably a 10 minute job to replace since the bolt holes should still be there for the Olds frame mount pads. You can increase the value with paint, interior but not with the SB engine. Also for maximum value documentation would be needed as these cars can be cloned. As Tweed says, it is easy to disprove a real W30 but nearly impossible to say for certain one is without paperwork.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Well your car, your call but being already setup for a Chevy small block.... all you are talking here is the frame mounts. Probably a 10 minute job to replace since the bolt holes should still be there for the Olds frame mount pads. You can increase the value with paint, interior but not with the SB engine. Also for maximum value documentation would be needed as these cars can be cloned. As Tweed says, it is easy to disprove a real W30 but nearly impossible to say for certain one is without paperwork.
Is the build sheet on top of the tank?
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM

From what I have been told Lansing cars' build sheets do not exist. I am not sure about broadcast cards that are sometimes found in the seats. The real documentation for these cars would be window sticker or protecto plate.
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:41 AM

im one of those guys that believe a mans car is his,..if he lets it rot, its his, he can do that...i also believe a man can do anything he wants...i have a tripower pontiac motor in a skylark...i did it because i owned it all and cost me nothing..if i wanted to put a ford motor in my skylark i would have...period..its mine...

BUT theres some cars ya dont fu@k with and thats one of them...sell it, make a profit let a person interested in the car do it the right way, too rare...too hard to find..

I have a rare 69 GTO Ram AirIV auto..like 125 cars...i think..i dunno but its low numbers...even though i bought it as just a GTO with the intentions of putting an LS3 in it...when i found out what it was, that plan changed...dont know if i will ever get it done, its ruff and missing everything and the ring gear is hanging out the rear cover..but as long as i own it, its future is a real correct resto....

Im 50..i come to appreciate things...and cars like that id never just make a driver...at 30...id do what i want and probably would have out a BBC in it like everything i owned back then

Get it to someone that wants to do it right...theres other cars to torture...and modify..its too rare...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 442 w30