Performer manifold

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:48 PM

Performer manifold

What would removing the center divider from a performer manifold do.Is it even possible.Thinking if it were a performance benefit it would have been done by the manufacturer.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM
this is stressing me out

They do make them from the manufacturer. It's called a single plane intake. It sounds like you have a dual plane. Dual is arguably better for street because it makes power lower, although a single will make more, only at top end.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM

I know my machinist cut down the center divider a little bit on my performer? is that just urban legend, he said it improves the manifold, I guess he took a 3/8ths to half inch cut?
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:23 PM

Instead of doing all that, just try an open 1" spacer, same result. If no gains are realized, pretty easy to just remove it (or try a 4 hole spacer).
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:37 PM
this is stressing me out

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
I know my machinist cut down the center divider a little bit on my performer? is that just urban legend, he said it improves the manifold, I guess he took a 3/8ths to half inch cut?
I'm not sure I've ever heard of that, but you never know untill you do a dyno trial. I've actually seen cars loose horsepower to the rear wheels on the dyno because a spacer was added, even if it's a couple to a few horse. Just like those open top K&N filters are junk as holley's and other carbs like to feed from the side, and they lost rear wheel horse when compared to a dome top. You have to test the combo that works best with your build. My BBC is built right down to my power brakes, 4spd and manual steering in mind.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM

I have seen that done before ( cutting the divider) he also fabbed aluminum plates and filled the heat crossover on the manifold, welded them , machined it flush like they never existed lol obviously I am not tuned to the latest and greatest and I put a lot of faith in my machinist, I didn't build a race motor or should say a motor to race I was a victim of MAW s .

What about that 'vodoo, jumbo jumbo , cone looking thing I have seen screwed into the floor of some manifolds? I guess I am trying to see hype from real help? Sorry for stepping on the tgread
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by stressed1
I'm not sure I've ever heard of that, but you never know untill you do a dyno trial. I've actually seen cars loose horsepower to the rear wheels on the dyno because a spacer was added, even if it's a couple to a few horse. Just like those open top K&N filters are junk as holley's and other carbs like to feed from the side, and they lost rear wheel horse when compared to a dome top. You have to test the combo that works best with your build. My BBC is built right down to my power brakes, 4spd and manual steering in mind.
My engines have all liked some form of carb spacers. Never made any difference with or without the top.......ET wise. I think that is an urban myth.
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Administrator

There are many instances where this has been referrenced, Cutlassefi has done it and stated in the past perhaps a 7hp gain. To me it's really not worth the hassle, and as stated above a 1/2" spacer will probably tell you if it's worth it.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:26 PM

Was just wondering in theory how it might work,with the runners being different on the torker and performer,and I see torkers with cones in the plenum now..milling the divider helps mid and top,what would happen with no divider, just thinking out loud..guess if it were that good edelbrock would have made it that way..

Last edited by drjr56; January 8th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:35 PM

I have a Torker with a cone and when we added a 1" spacer on the dyno it lost HP...it's all subject to what your engine likes. To make a blanket statement that a spacer or cut divider is worth power is just wrong. Put it on the dyno and try it both ways (if you can) just to be sure. Otherwise, you may or may not have helped your power number by making changes like that...sort of your call.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:34 PM
this is stressing me out

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
My engines have all liked some form of carb spacers. Never made any difference with or without the top.......ET wise. I think that is an urban myth.
You gain power with a spacer, ah64pilot lost power with a spacer. I'm pretty sure it's your combination.

As for the open top filters, there are numerous threads on Yellowbullet covering this with proof and videos of such proof in action.

I've run many different intakes on my BBC, from performer RPM dual, to 454-R single to a nearly 7" tall Super Victor single w/ dominator feed only. The place you only really notice it it on a dyno or your ET.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:05 AM

The open element was given to me, it does not hurt MY ETs when flip flopped on MY combos. That's what counts. I personally don't believe everything I read on the Bullet.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:51 AM

I've seen dyno's where the open element top gained a couple hp. Not really enough to notice. I think the overall theory was it depends on how much CFM you need and how much filter you already have. If you are maxed out then adding filter is not going to matter much.