Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

L-69

Old November 7th, 2008, 04:37 AM

L-69

I normally don't promote auctions but this is such a rare critter, I thought I'd make an exception

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...1%7C240%3A1318

Behold a 1966 Mondello purple L-69 with carbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tri power.jpg (8.8 KB, 34 views)
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I normally don't promote auctions but this is such a rare critter, I thought I'd make an exception

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...1%7C240%3A1318

Behold a 1966 Mondello purple L-69 with carbs

I see this is for a 400, Would it fit a 455 that I am going to install in my 1948 Olds Sure would look cool. It is a retro with a 5 speed stick.
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM

I will defer to the experts like Joe, Norm and other learned folks.

Rare unquestionably,

Yes, it looks cool, but my "local experts" aren't particularly fond of the L-69 or the "Goat" Tri-power.

They say [But like Joe has pointed out,"They say alot"]

It's not so hot performance wise.

Please, let's not turn this into a fist fight.

Ya know what they say about "opinions."

But I would look forward to an informative discussion of the +/- of this very unique Olds carb set up.
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:59 AM
"me somebody" site member

The purple may be an illusion//perhaps its bronze. And of course it will fit any "modern" Olds big block (early/late 400...425...455). A few things look odd, though...the "erector set" looking linkage on the driver's side that extends form the center carb to the rear for example...also the center carb may be missing a bowl vent "flapper" on the air horn (towards front right).

In my opinion, the tri-carb setup is all about being "flashy" when popping the hood at a car show...not that there's anything wrong with that!

ON EDIT: The linkage may be correct, just disconnected somehow, allowing it to flip back towards the rear carb (which it should not), see pic below which also shows the vent device on the carter carb air horn:

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; November 7th, 2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Seller says all three carbs have the same part number. Shouldn't the center (primary) carb have idle circuit and choke, not the end carbs?

........ my "local experts" aren't particularly fond of the L-69 or the "Goat" Tri-power ........
Q-jet (750 CFM) is probably a better street setup, but the car wasn't meant for street use. They needed closer to 900 CFM and, as long as "street manners" was not a high priority, three 2 barrels was an easy way to get it.

I've found that 900 CFM works very well on 425 Olds engines.

Norm
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Front and rear carbs appear to lack chokes or idle circuits. Only the center carb has a tag (on wrong spot, i.e. on the backside), which presumably has the carb number the seller referred to.

Inneresting take on CFM on the similar pontiac tri-powas here:

http://www.pontiactripower.com/pontiac/FAQ.shtml#8
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
"street manners"

Norm
Thanks Norm,

I assume bad "Street Manners" would be a negative, Could you elaborate on what one could expect in terms of Bad "street manners" from a L-69 and why?
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:14 PM

Having owned a tri-carb car, I am unaware of any driveability issues with the setup. Basically its a 2 bbl car till you whomp on it. And then it sounds like the Batmobile. Excellent part throttle response, and as long as you configure the "blockoffs" to allow heat to the center carb, it'll warm up fast in cold weather.
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
........ which presumably has the carb number the seller referred to ........
Originally Posted by Bud Ward's Antique Cars
........ 3 Rochester 2 BBL Carbs part number 7026056 ........
Must be a typo.

........ I am unaware of any driveability issues with the setup ........
How was your fuel mileage, compared to that of a Q-jet?

Norm
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:44 AM

........ what one could expect in terms of Bad "street manners" ........
Did anyone say anything about "Bad" street manners?

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
........ as long as "street manners" was not a high priority ........
The car was not supposed to drive like a 98.

Norm
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Having owned a tri-carb car, I am unaware of any driveability issues with the setup. Basically its a 2 bbl car till you whomp on it. And then it sounds like the Batmobile. Excellent part throttle response, and as long as you configure the "blockoffs" to allow heat to the center carb, it'll warm up fast in cold weather.
Thank you, That answers the question I evidently posed incorrectly.
Glad someone could comprehend what I was trying to say.
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Yeah. Good thing I sold that L69 car too; I couldn't sleep nights worrying about the mileage that thing got!
Old November 9th, 2008, 06:38 AM

I was interested until the bidding exceeded $1,800.00 for the set up. I will be happy with a 4-barrel in my 1948 Olds. This stuff goes for out of site prices. Does someone make a after market tri-carb manifold for an Olds 455 (Norm you will notice I stated tri-carb). I think it would fit the look I am going for.
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I was interested until the bidding exceeded $1,800.00 for the set up. I will be happy with a 4-barrel in my 1948 Olds. This stuff goes for out of site prices. Does someone make a after market tri-carb manifold for an Olds 455 (Norm you will notice I stated tri-carb). I think it would fit the look I am going for.
Citcapp,

The Parts Place, from time to time has been offering an opportunity to bid on a reproduction of the AU L69 manifold on E bay. I don't know if they actually have any units for sale yet. Run to Rund can verify this, but I believe this isnt your best choice for a tricarb manifold. The most desirable and the one I have is the later AZ manifold with the larger center carb mounting pad. Some individuals seem to feel that this is a poor choice for a performance manifold, especially for the street, but I am a stubborn non conformist, and I like the looks and accept the compromise in performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
055.jpg (73.3 KB, 14 views)
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Except for full race setups, the TriCarbs are about the best, imho. I tested them back to back vs. 800 spread bore Holley/torker in 1975 and the TriCarbs were better by a tenth or two on the strip. Just like a rochester 2 Jet most of the time, and then you go up to 850 cfm on the four barrel rating scale with three accelerator pumps. not at all bad for someting designed well over 40 years ago. AZ is the best version because the center carb pad is bigger, sealing the vacuum passage better. The Service Guild bulletin of Feb 66 said to use Permatex #1 to help seal the base gasket on the AL and AU versions, although they did not identify the castings.

Search this Thread