General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Doctors Orders F85

Old September 14th, 2012, 06:35 AM

Doctors Orders F85

Does anyone on this site know the whereabouts of the 1969 F85 W-31 "Doctors Orders". I'm not looking to buy the car, just for general knowledge. I heard it might be in the Chicago area. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
F85W31c.jpg (56.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg
F85W31d.jpg (44.0 KB, 191 views)
Old September 14th, 2012, 07:40 PM

I did a little time at Action Warehouse, the Owner of Grand Automotive. [on the 1/4 panel]
Most of the guys from Grand went to a shop around North Ave. and 83 - I'll ask around - although Tony Christian is now in Texas!
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:31 AM

I knew Grand Automotive was nearby, but never knew of the car till recently. Thanks Rickman48. Would be cool to learn the history of that car. So if anyone has knowledge or something to share, please post.

Thanks,
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Do you know the drivers name that drove 1969 F85 W-31 "Doctors Orders".
Old September 15th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
Do you know the drivers name that drove 1969 F85 W-31 "Doctors Orders".
Old September 15th, 2012, 01:50 PM

Rallye, wish I did. At this point its all new information to me. Just interested in learning more about the successes of W31s back in the day. Focus was all 442 back then.
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:21 PM

I respectfully disagree about the focus on 442s---at least in 1969. Most Olds racers knew the '68-'69 400s were slugs and for NHRA stockers, the W-31 was a hit. You are absolutely correct with the 442 getting all the press up to the point when the bore/stroke of the 400 changed beginning in '68. The W-31s did rather well in F/S and G/S and then the rules changed. My car and others that were "race tuned and prepped" we're mid-12 second cars. My car ran a non-NHRA-legal best of 12.38 but was not allowe due to the wrong Q-Jet in use on that run.
Old September 15th, 2012, 05:49 PM

Dave, growing up in Chicago (age 18 in 69) you'd think there'd be some Ram Rods/W31s to be seen on the street. I never saw one. Unfortunately I didn't know any Olds Racers. That was my only point. There just were no W31s to be found. We talked about them, from reading about them in magazines. But nobody had one in 68/69. We didn't even have an Olds dealer that promoted high performace. Most of the dealers ordered 442s with A/C and Turbo 400's. The 442 was the image car. But you know that is probably why I got one (W31) now. Always had a fascination with the 'sleeper' cars. Super cheap, able to fly under the radar.

Anyway, would love to learn more about Doctors Orders. Especially if it was a Chicago area racer.
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:07 PM

ItalianIce, I'd love to know more about YOUR car! Do you know of the '69 W-31 at Nickey? Stefano had one for sale but I don't know if it sold. Looked to be pretty decent and very well documented. Also, if you do find more on Doctor's Orders please post it here or PM me.
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:12 PM

Also, I-ice, check out the "Oldsmobile Race Cars" thread here---many W-31s and at least pic of Doctor's Orders.
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
ItalianIce, I'd love to know more about YOUR car! Do you know of the '69 W-31 at Nickey? Stefano had one for sale but I don't know if it sold. Looked to be pretty decent and very well documented. Also, if you do find more on Doctor's Orders please post it here or PM me.
My car is not finished yet, so reluctant to say too much. Should be completed in about 2-3 weeks. Car came from Farnsworth Chevrolet (Olds) Plainwell MI. - delivered 7/12/69 according to Protec O Plate. Has original drivetrain. Car now powered by professionally built 403, w/Edelbrock heads/intake, but made up (Olds Gold) to appear factory stock. Sharp eyes can detect but just wanted to retain the look of the original car, just with a little more power and extraordinary sound. Original factory stamped VIN, engine is awaiting a rebuild. But I don't intend to install it. Just keep it for the next owner. Other deviations from how it left the factory: 3" custom stainless exhaust w/headers, 15" steel wheels, M/T Drag Radials, front Disc brakes & P/S added, radio delete. Complete body off restored, it will be displayed in the November Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Rosemont Illinois.
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
I did a little time at Action Warehouse, the Owner of Grand Automotive. [on the 1/4 panel]
Most of the guys from Grand went to a shop around North Ave. and 83 - I'll ask around - although Tony Christian is now in Texas!

Rickman.. on a re-read, it sounds like you know more than you think. Was Tony Christian the owner?, driver? There is nothing much on the internet (Google) in regard to Grand Automotive. But back in the day, their name was a familiar site on drag race cars. I just can't tell you much more than they were a local speed shop. Never even visited the place. Please tell us more.... Bob D'
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM

I guess a little background is in order;
Started in High School at a Chevy dealer in Des Plaines, advanced to wholesale parts manager at a Caddy dealer in Mount Prospect, then to a Cad-Olds dealer in Park Ridge.
Nickey Chev in Chicago offered a little more money, stayed there almost a year.
Bob Coats from Chapman Automotive asked me to manage their speed shop - Chapman Street and Strip at Milwakee and Elston, where I did business with Action and Grand. Freddy from Van Senus, [now a warehouse] offered me a better deal, and we've been friends ever since.
There was a technician at Ladendorf Olds who had a couple of racers, sponsored by the dealer, I think he called himself 'Dr. Olds', but it's been awhile - talked to him a few times.
Back then, I got in with a few 'street racers' and didn't do too much at the strip - but to get a 'sponsorship' with Grand, all you needed was cubic $$ to spend on a nice car, and they gave you a nicer discount.
As far as the Doctors Orders car, I seem to remember his father was a Doctor and he got caught street racing.
Dad made him de-letter the car and trade it in on a non-racer.
Since that was over 40 years ago, I could be wrong though.
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:20 AM

Hey Bob D., Your car sounds like a cool ride. Please post some "sounds" here so we can hear that 403". If you are intending to sell your car anytime in the near future, Phillip has asked me to help him locate a suitable W-31 for him to purchase and I know he expressed some interest in yours. I may have read it and don't remember, but is your car a stick? Bench seat? Mine was built radio delete, but when the dealership sold it in 1971, the buyer requested a radio---I REALLY wished he hadn't as there is now an antenna in the fender.
What is remaining for you to do in the next couple of weeks for completion of the restoration? Anything the members here or I could do to help? Ideas? Maybe share some experience to save a headache or two? These old cars do have some issues that are at times quite trying!!!
As for the MCACN, Ido intend to go one of these years, but as many of you know that the show falls at the same time as our (my wife and myself) annual Carribean Cruise. My wife is SOOOOO good about my Oldsmobile addiction (I feel like the luckiest guy in the world sometimes---a beautiful Italian wife who encourages my hobby/passion with Oldsmobiles) that I can't bring myself to ask her to NOT go on one of HER favorite trips. To me, that is a SMALL price to pay for what she sacrifices and tolerates. AND, it (the cruise) is our only non-car-related vacation!!!
Back to your W-31---have you ever raced it or timed (ET) it at the track? Do you ever intend to? Do you know any of the history of your car prior to you taking ownweship? I understand you have some documentation---would you please post it here for the guys to see? I have some great original paperwork with mine and I'm perfectly willing to share it here, BUT I only have a lap-top and honestly wouldn't know how to do it. I did make color copies of the originals and had the copies laminated for display;the originals are kept in a fire-proof safe.
Do you have the original balancer with the matching VIN engine? The 7029255 carb.? If you do have those consider yourself lucky and fortunate as they are extremely hard to find and a little pricey when you do.
Well enough for now, so please get back to us soon and stay well. Oh, I almost forgot to ask---have you found anything else on the "Doctors Orders" car????
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the offer of help. I'll do a separate post on my W31 so we can keep on topic here. Anyone who can contribute info on "Doctors Orders" or sponsorship, driver etc. please post here.

Thanks
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:13 AM

Update

I spoke to someone who actually tried to buy the car (Doctors Orders) "back in the day". All he could remember is the car was still all lettered when he saw it, and he thought the owner was from the Des Plaines area. Said he knows "for a fact" that the guy is no longer living. I was not able to get a name of the former owner.

My friend also said the car just "disappeared" and no one he knows in the Olds community has a clue on its whereabouts.

Is the trail really that "cold"? Anyone else have something to contribute? Post here.....
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM

I heard the driver's first name was Spaulding.....can't remember the last name.
Old October 10th, 2013, 04:57 AM

How about the last name of Eckhardt?

Here is the facebook link with pictures of the car. Trent Eckhardt claims to be the son of the guy that raced it.

https://www.facebook.com/trenteckhar...7187803&type=3

Don't tell him I took his pictures!!

Originally Posted by 70Post
I heard the driver's first name was Spaulding.....can't remember the last name.
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:52 AM

I suspect Trent will be getting a few phone calls inquiring as to the whereabouts of his dad's car.
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:53 PM

OMG.DROOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL
love the pics with no lettering, one bad *** W-31!!!!!
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:28 PM

great pics

Originally Posted by vistacruiser67
Here is the facebook link with pictures of the car. Trent Eckhardt claims to be the son of the guy that raced it.

https://www.facebook.com/trenteckhar...7187803&type=3

Don't tell him I took his pictures!!

Wow what great pics - yes in my opinion the ultimate sleepers. thanks for the share
Old October 10th, 2013, 06:58 PM

wow, you got to go to the facebook page.
Old October 10th, 2013, 07:44 PM

thanks, I tried link wont open for me. Is there another address perhaps - Dean
Old October 11th, 2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
thanks, I tried link wont open for me. Is there another address perhaps - Dean
There are no other pics of Doctors Orders on Trent's Facebook page, just the ones posted here by vistacruiser67. Sure is cool that vistacruiser helped. It would be nice to know what happened to the Black F85 car after all these years. But I'm not going to bother Trent. If any of you guys know him and can get the rest of the story, please post it here.
Old October 11th, 2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by italian ice
But I'm not going to bother Trent. If any of you guys know him and can get the rest of the story, please post it here.
You may be able to message him without friending him as long as he doesn't have messaging turned off. Obviously his pics are public or we wouldn't be able to see them.

Unless, of course, you're just a FB stalker........J/K
Old October 11th, 2013, 05:35 PM

Great thread, gotta love Olds stockers..great pics!
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:05 PM

Hey guys my brother brought this thread to my attention, He has a 1969 f85 w31, has had it since he was 14 if im correct and its still in his garage to this day. aztec gold with black stripes 4 speed no power options 3.91's. if i can upload a pic one of these days i will!
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM

pics

Originally Posted by 69f85w31
Hey guys my brother brought this thread to my attention, He has a 1969 f85 w31, has had it since he was 14 if im correct and its still in his garage to this day. aztec gold with black stripes 4 speed no power options 3.91's. if i can upload a pic one of these days i will!
If you are having problems uploading pics send then to me & I will upload them for you.

Send to dlnicol@shaw.ca
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:36 PM

(sigh)

Well, I have attempted twice to reply to this thread. I typed out very long, detailed posts telling the story of this car and its owner

Both times, the forum logged me out and I lost the whole post. Twice. In a row.

SO....time for the short version.

Hi, I am Trent (son of the late Bob Eckhardt). He was the original owner of the D/O car. The car was sold to a gentleman in Chicago in 1970 and the trail so far ends there.

Cheers!
Trent...

(and next time, I think I will copy/paste my text before trying to post here) :/
Old October 4th, 2014, 02:22 AM

Trent,

It's so great that you decided to post here. I think your story about your Dad would be something the readers on this forum would really appreciate. I have the same problem with writing long winded replies and you are on the right track with the copy/paste technique.

This past Summer I met a man at the Mundelein Cruise night who said he drove your dad's car for him. Raced it. I was displaying my 69 F-85 "El Malo" ex-race car out of Atlanta on the trailer. And since they are both black 69 F-85, W-31 cars he wanted to tell his story about Doctors Orders. Unfortunately I did not get his name. I'm hoping he comes by the MCACN Barn Finds exhibit this Fall and I'll get his contact info for you if you don't have it.

In the mean time, please share your story with us.......

Bob D'
Old October 4th, 2014, 02:25 AM

And Trent, when you do post more info. Make sure to tell us about YOUR drag racing experiences with KOTS.
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:28 AM
car guy

Nice to see you here Trent. When I have a really long post I always write in MS word and then copy and past it.